RC poster

Overheating Issues: Rustler VXL

Hey Guys,

I just recently got my Rustler VXL, and I have already been making some basic mods, but that's besides the point.

I have been running into heat issues with the VXL. It seems to be going into shutdown mode really quickly.

Ambient temperature outside is between 80f-95f. (Tennessee summer... yuck!)

I have the cooling fan for the Speed Control.

I am running two different sets of LiPos. I have one Reaction 11.1V 5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo, and two Venom 20C 3S 6400mAh 11.1 LiPos.

I called Traxxas, and they said to keep the motor under 200f. I bought an IR Temp Gun, and I've been shutting it down at about 165f. But it seems like I can only get about 10 minutes of decent passes alternating throttle.

Is it my gearing combination? (Factory)
    Is it my battery combination?

I'm pretty much just bashing around.
    Sometimes I go to a small dirt track, but its still essentially bashing.

What can I do to extend my run time? I've been reading a bit about the Castle Motors, and I think I've heard that they can run a bit longer.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ParseMeHard; 08-02-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added bashing

3S is going to heat things up pretty well. Recommend gearing down a couple of teeth on the pinion, this will also help your run times.

What kind of run times are you getting now?

165deg/F is about as hot as you want to get your motor, at 200deg you are damaging it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    get and alumium gearbox, a must for running 3s in the summer, or buy a castle 4 pole motor they run super cool!

I agree 3s is a lot of battery for bashing (although very fun lol) with the stock gearing. I'd look into a 18t or 19t pinion.

I personally prefer to keep my motor around 140.

With a 5000mah you should except to get at least 20mins or so depending on how heavy you are on the throttle.

RC Champion
    Alum gear box for sure ! I have to gear down if I want to drive in the summer here as well. I have had alum gear boxes on both my rusty's but the new one is stock plastic and 4300kv and only running 2s lipo and still getting 155 max on the motor. So I think the alum gear box be it either Hot racing/Integy/FLM it would help a TON. I have had Integy and FLM both are fine and work great. I'm going to be trying the Hot racing one this time to see if it weighs a little less.

Keep us posted though. And yes as well to stock gearing being a little tall for 3s. Trying out a 18t pinion would help as well.
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

RC poster
    So for the trans case, would this be the best one to get?: http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM20000&cat=14

Now, as for the Pinion/Spur setup, this really confuses me. So, I have the factory 28 Pinion, 83 Spur setup. I used the RC Transmission calculator, and with the factory gearing, its saying about 45MPH, which is right. Why I put a 19 Pinion there, it says it lowers the speed to about 36MPH.

Don't I want to make the gears taller so it don't have as much off the line? Or am I looking at it wrong.

Feel free to post direct links of what to get

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You're like me...we run 3s but in the midst of the summer, we cant run 3s batteries with a 28 tooth pinion...what was failed to mention earlier is that grabbing a aluminum gearbox case WILL NOT save your rustler from going into thermal mode. It only helps and by help I mean just a little. The main thing is to gear down to a 21 tooth or even a 19 tooth pinion and let her rip. I'm geared 19/90 or sometimes 19/86 with a stock gearbox and I can ALMOST run a full 3s 5000mah pack without heat issues. Aluminum cases are nice but not a savior when it comes to temps. the ambient temp and 3s will overcome that aluminum gearbox and heat up no matter what.

RC poster
    So a 19/86, will that give me more acceleration or top end?

RC poster
    From what it sounds like, the $60 may be better used towards a castle motor and speed control?

What would the benefits be of a castle motor and speed control? More power? better cooling? What combination would I want to look at? There seems to be a ton of different options when it comes to the castle stuff.

RC Champion
    19/86 will give you lower top end but some good low end acceleration. I wouldn't bother with a castle system since you already have a brushless motor. FLM/Integy/Hotracing all great gear boxes and work really well. The FLM on has more adjusting options then the other 2 but that's up to you if you want them for twice as much.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I wouldn't bother getting a castle system, since you already have a vxl. My castle system doesn't run cool at all by any means.

RC poster
    Humm... I can hardly keep this thing on the ground as is.. It's so powerful already.

If I went lower gearing what wood make it more enjoyable bashing around? A weaker battery?

RC Champion
    When you first get into brushless and lipo 3s is just SOOO amazing ! But you then get into heat issues and realizing you don't need to bash around at 50+mph lol. I think 2s is a fantastic option and you can almost get 2 of those batteries for 1 3s. You have more options for gearing for speed and what not without the fear of overheating it as much. The lighter the truck is the faster it will accelerate the gearing of 23/86 will allow for a good 30+ mph and lots of grins My past 3 builds have been tanks with 3s lipo and no cares about weight but this time around I am trying to build around 2s lipo and temps no higher then 150 and keeping it a little lighter this time.

Also you can get 2s lipo's in the 5000-6300mah for pretty darn cheap. That's a good amount of run time