Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    my esc always went thermal al 120-130
    My mamba max pro's fan dont come on till around 100-110, certainly something was a miss with your old unit.
    I've found mine at 135 degree before but they never shut down.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    My mamba max pro's fan dont come on till around 100-110, certainly something was a miss with your old unit.
    I've found mine at 135 degree before but they never shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If your ESC went into thermal protection at 120F then there was a defect or damage or the temperature was being read incorrectly. 120F is not even uncomfortable to touch let alone a reasonable thermal cutoff.
    maybe it was bad... i got it 2nd hand so probably it was not really good... i ran the 2s 5400 pack and it shutted down after 15min and it normally hold up 30min on my other non traxxas vehicles. but never mind, i have the powerful system now! lol
    | Slash 4x4 | Stampede 4x4 | E-Revo BL | RPM |

I didn't think that 165 was too bad at all. Granted I'd like to have it lower but that is why they make different sized gears lol. Like I said before considering that is two teeth above stock gearing those temps were not bad at all. My used two pole would have blown those out the water with higher temps. But it was used and you never really know how they are treated.

So I am thinking that it went into thermal yesterday. It did today. Figured I'd try it out with the same gearing on 3s. Within seven mins of hard running the ESC was blinking red and the truck lost a lot of its power. But would still move like LVD kicked in. Motor was 150 ESC 167. I moved back down to the 13t pinion and I'll try that on 3s and see what happens.

So 165 is a bit high then?

yeah for a esc. yeah ive been running 15/54 and on 3s its a little too much unless your just running up and down the street imo. 13/54 seems to be good. i havnt tried 14/54 though

I just got done running 13/54 with a 3s. Did the same thing. After a few mins it went into thermal protection stage 1 shutdown. I may have to try an 11t or 12t.

Does the 3340 fan fit the new four pole ESC?

if thats the vxl esc fan then yes. still snaps on the heatsink. the only diff is the the direction the fins go. i think a fan would help with your thermal shut down. i dont think i ever had a problem running 13/54 and ive got larger tires on mine

RC Qualifier

Received my first Slash 4x4

I run 15/54 on my two pole with a 3s and my esc doesn't exceed 130 how ever the motor on the other hand by the end of the battery is stupid hot. I'm also far from gentle with it. Thinking about getting a heatsink fan and seeing what the temps are and mess around with the gearing some more. From what I've read though them 2 pole motors always run hot. I don't know how true it is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong no hard feelings. But all I know is when that motor dies it gives me a good reason to upgrade just haven't decided on what combo I want yet lol.
    slash 4wd upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    if thats the vxl esc fan then yes. still snaps on the heatsink. the only diff is the the direction the fins go. i think a fan would help with your thermal shut down. i dont think i ever had a problem running 13/54 and ive got larger tires on mine
    Awesome. I may need to pick one up. Hopefully that will help because I'd like to run it with the 15/54.

Quote Originally Posted by sgibby88 View Post
    I run 15/54 on my two pole with a 3s and my esc doesn't exceed 130 how ever the motor on the other hand by the end of the battery is stupid hot. I'm also far from gentle with it. Thinking about getting a heatsink fan and seeing what the temps are and mess around with the gearing some more. From what I've read though them 2 pole motors always run hot. I don't know how true it is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong no hard feelings. But all I know is when that motor dies it gives me a good reason to upgrade just haven't decided on what combo I want yet lol.
    Mine is quite the opposite with the four pole. Although I think I am going to get the integy heatsink with fan anyways. I may even see about the funny car motor. Seems like that is the motor to get with the slash. Kind of want to see who it does with the Traxxas four pole ESC too.

Alright, so I just ordered a motor heatsink/fan, ESC fan, rc lights kit for the rpm bumpers, front & rear rpm bumpers, front led canister and rear led canister. Hopefully everything will be here within the week.

Actually found a great deal on amazon for the led kit. Rc lights.com has them for about $60. Found it on amazon for less than $30. Hopefully its legit lol. It seemed like it from what I read about the company.

RC Qualifier
    Forgot to mention I do run a esc fan to
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Qualifier
    I do want to upgrade though to something better even though I'll still run the same gearing. Really like how it performs just don't really like the temps it produces
    slash 4wd upgraded

If you intend to run a heat sink and or fan do your self a favor and get heat sink paste, this stuff makes a huge difference in the sinks efficiency.
    My girl friends pede has a stock 2 pole velenin vxl-3 set up and I noticed it getting a little warm the other day (ambients were 90) so I put a heat sink fan combo that had been in the box for over a year now on board, I was not impressed by the minimal temp decrease.
    Went to the lhs and got a tube of the stuff and walla, near 30 drop instantly.
    I'm not an advocate of fans or heat-sinks ( band-aids IMO) tho in this temporary heat issue it was worth it.
    A pede on 2s geared 12/54 doesn't need to go any slower, (ie gearing down).
    Its a little messy tho.
    [IMG][/IMG]

yeah i need to find my thermal paste and try that out. what fan is that on the esc?

Billy, are you talking about a thermal paste? I was going to use some that my brother had left over from his computer build.

Got the stuff in today. Hopefully they will work. I'm charging up my 2s now. Also waiting on my led kit. Got the rpm stuff for the led kit.

So I ran my 2s lipo for about 90% until done. ESC maxed out at 125 motor got up to 151. Running stock gearing. I'll try 15/84 tomorrow. And 13/54 on 3s also.

yeah i need to find my thermal paste and try that out. what fan is that on the esc?
    Just a standard castle esc fan, the onje is the sink is identical, just clear with the integy name, fact is that particular esc unit was an extra RX-8 fan I had laying around.
    Billy, are you talking about a thermal paste?
    Yes sir, it makes a world of difference.

I may have to get some and try it out. Hopefully my proline adjustable body posts and led kit come in today.

So I am in the process of dying my chassis. I knew my truck had been making a funny noise and the spur looked a little funny. Sure enough just as I thought. Its a busted motor mount bearing. Oh well at least its an easy fix.

Is the bearing size for the aluminum Traxxas motor mount a 10x15x4??
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-15-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: merge

its always a pain trying to remove the rest of the bearing. i just had to changed out a stripped spur early. i was driving it last night and it got wedge under a large inflatable slide a few times and i would just power out of it, but the last time it ate of the spur. i need to get more 54t spur. i put a 50t on but my heatsink wont fit on there without hitting the center shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    Is the bearing size for the aluminum Traxxas motor mount a 10x15x4??
    yes. i think only hot racing and kingheads uses 10x19. oh yeah and i think one called yeah racing does also
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-15-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: merge

yes. i think only hot racing and kingheads uses 10x19. oh yeah and i think one called yeah racing does also
    yup, i have yeah racing for my p4de and uses 10x19.

Awesome I thought that was right. Thanks!

Skmfkr, what pinion you running with the 50t spur? You're running the four pole from Traxxas right?

To add to the mess I guess some of the ball bearings got stuck in the spur. If you're going to do it. Do it right I guess lol
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-15-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: merge

LOL that went through the plastic!!! never seen the happen

I'm telling ya that's just my luck lol. Could be worse though I always say

So I just finished my first dye job. Used an aluminum throw away pan on the grille. Lowest sitting and grille lid always open. Water temp was at 135-140 throughout the process. Stirred it up every so often. Started out with just half a packet of the powder dye. After one hour I added the other half of the powder for a total of two hours straight in the water. Also had to add a little more water as some of it evaporated out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    I'm telling ya that's just my luck lol. Could be worse though I always say

So I just finished my first dye job. Used an aluminum throw away pan on the grille. Lowest sitting and grille lid always open. Water temp was at 135-140 throughout the process. Stirred it up every so often. Started out with just half a packet of the powder dye. After one hour I added the other half of the powder for a total of two hours straight in the water. Also had to add a little more water as some of it evaporated out.
    that looks great! i did mine in my kitchen with a pot since i dont have a garden.....

Thanks! I thought about doing it there but figured if something spilled or whatever it would be best if that happened outside lol.

I don't think it turned out too bad since it was a beat up used chassis. I'm sure it has oils and dirt in it that washing just won't get out.

RC Champion
    Looks good, nice build so far!
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

i kept the 15t pinion on it. i was going to go with 13t, but i cant find it. i think 13/54 is prob my fav gearing to use. 15/54 starts to getting a little warm, but keep in mind i run 4.9" mashers on mine not the sc tires you have. i dont like running the 50t cuz i cant run my heatsink. i think this one is done for also. i dont usually jump, but ive gone to my sisters house and they have a ramp to jump and one of my screws for the motor plate and motor keeps coming loose and throwing my mesh off and it ends up chewing up the spur. just put some blue loctite on it, so hopefully that will fix that problem.
    Last edited by skmfkr; 09-14-2014 at 03:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    looks good man. I myself have been thinking about the new 4 pole esc with the funny car motor as well. and ill put my 2 pole vxl in my 2wd slash. but I really need to inquire about some thermal paste and a heatsink fan
    slash 4wd upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks good, nice build so far!
    Thanks buddy!

i kept the 15t pinion on it. i was going to go with 13t, but i cant find it. i need to goto my lhs and get some 54t spurs. i dont like running the 50t cuz i kept run my heatsink. i think this one is done for also. i dont usually jump, but ive gone to my sisters house and they have a ramp to jump and one of my screws for the motor plate and motor keeps coming loose and throwing my mesh off and it ends up chewing up the spur.
    Hmm, I guess I may just stick with the 54t then. Was thinking of changing it up a bit. I'm pretty sure that is what happened to by bearing. I just the stew out of mine. Not all the time huge jumps but back to back jumps of my homemade ramp. I am going to just buy a bunch of bearings for it to have as spares.

RC Qualifier
    im a big fan of the 54/15 gearing. to me it has the perfect amount of speed and torque. but everybody has their own opinions right lol
    slash 4wd upgraded

ive had my 4x4 for a little over a year and it wasnt until recently i had any bearing problems. first was the 12x18 in the rear diff housing. then all 4 for the rear wheels. yeah id stick with 54t spurs. only reason i see you go with 50t is if your running like 20t pinion or something. thats actually the reason i got it. i stopped running a gear cover for my 2wd and i was planning on running 20/50 on it instead of 32/83, but i havnt had any problems so it never got changed out. id recommend getting these slipper pads while your are working on the spur.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-T...item1e91c1b4c4
    Last edited by skmfkr; 09-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Yeah I like the 15/54 gearing myself. I personally like it better on 2s opposed to 3s. Don't get me wrong 3s is a blast but for jumping 3s is not necessary. Plus with that two pole system my motor and ESC got crazy hot quickly. Have yet to try the 15/54 with the four pole.

Alright I just ordered the 10x15x4 bearings. A ten pack for $10. Also ordered the RPM roof lights and another LED kit from RC Lights. I'm thinking I'll mount it on the hood near the windshield. Maybe it will be a little more protected there in the event of a roll over.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-15-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sgibby88 View Post
    im a big fan of the 54/15 gearing. to me it has the perfect amount of speed and torque. but everybody has their own opinions right lol
    Or they have different motors or batteries.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

Here it is almost completely put back together. Gotta wait on a few parts. Also thinking blue RPM a arms would look nice. Maybe blue Nerf bars??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Or they have different motors or batteries.
    I'm still running the stock 2 pole vxl setup on 3s. The lipos I use the name ends up starred out I forget the c rating right now I gotta check
    slash 4wd upgraded

looks great! i always like the chassis black, it gives a classic look to it.

Oh yeah it definitely makes it look a lot better IMO. Have been wanting to do it but never wanted to take everything apart lol. Figured since I'm down for a few days why not. Really glad I did it too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast