RC poster

Best Battery/Mods

Hey all I am new to the forum and would like to know whats the best Lipo battery/charger is best for Stampede 2wd XL-5. I have heard great things about SPC batteries.

I have did minor things already like change spur gear an add a front bumper. I also converted it to a chevy 2500HD fully painted with the Pro Line Trenchers. I will upload some photos and videos later on tonight. Thanks for any help or input. Help a noob out!!

RC Qualifier
    As far as upgrades, the bumper is the only major important thing. From there on upgrade stuff as you break it. As for batteries SPC and SMC are good popular batteries. As for chargers, it depends on what you want to spend. You can range from stuff like the hitec x1 (about $50 on ebay) to some closer to $400. It all depends on what you want to spend

RC poster
    I mean I just want something to charge it up. Will my stock charger do the trick?

RC Racer
    No the stock charger doesnt charge lipos and take so long to charge nimhs i have heard the traxxas easy peak plus is good
    God is great, RC is good , and my driving is crazy

I use a Venom Pro2 charger http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDMYL&P=ML the onyx 245 is a great charger. I like the Easy Peak 6 it's a great charger also.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    It comes down to- do you want a charger for now? Or the last charger you should need?

RC poster
    Tell me what you guys think. Suspension mods on the way

My wedding cake

[IMG]

My Mini Me

[IMG]
    Last edited by SwampWS6; 08-08-2014 at 09:52 AM.

That's awesome man I want a piece of that wedding cake.

RC poster
    Thanks bro. Top layer was orange cake, middle strawberry and bottom was vanilla almond. Almost put myself in a diabetic coma.........

Please watch the *s in your posts. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_summit757 View Post
    I use a Venom Pro2 charger http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDMYL&P=ML the onyx 245 is a great charger. I like the Easy Peak 6 it's a great charger also.
    +1 to this charger (although my LHS had if for $59). I've had this charger and three SPC batteries for about a year and have no complaints. Can't go wrong with the SPC batteries especially. The only reason in my opinion to go to a more expensive/powerful charger is if you think you might need to charge multiple batteries at once or require a super-fast charge. This charger will charge at up to 6amps which means about an hour to fully charge a 6000mah battery. If you have two batteries, you would probably be able to charge one while running the other and never be lacking for a fresh battery.

Nice wedding cake!

RC poster
    Ok. Thanks. Wasnt really wanting to spend that much on a charger but oh well. Next question. Can I charge up my stock 7 cell with the Lipo charger? And will the Lipo battery wear out my little stock Titan 12T?

This is the battery thats on the way.
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=56

Motor brushes are a consumable. The more you run them, the more they will be used up. The battery pack listed above should yield longer run time and therefore the motor brushes will experience more wear. The best way to combat this is to keep the motor cool as possible. Gearing up for speed causes heat. Running on high-drag terrain (grass or loose sand) causes heat. Towing/pushing/pulling objects causes heat. Heavy acceleration and braking... you get the point.
    Adjust your driving to lessen the heat as much as is possible while still having the amount of fun that you want out of this hobby (this is a huge variable) and you'll have the best CHANCE of success in keeping your motor happy.

BTW, better chargers (more $) tend to keep your batteries happier and thus protect your investment.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
    Ok. Thanks. Wasnt really wanting to spend that much on a charger but oh well. Next question. Can I charge up my stock 7 cell with the Lipo charger? And will the Lipo battery wear out my little stock Titan 12T?

This is the battery thats on the way.
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=56
    Yes, there is a LiPo setting and a NiMH setting on that charger so you can switch back and forth between different battery types but LiPos can be charged must faster than the stock NiMH pack. You won't do that very long because once you get used to LiPo you'll never pick up another NiMH battery again!

I have that exact SPC pack with well over 100 discharge cycles and it performs just as well today as it did when it was new. Great price too.

RC poster
    Ok. cool. This the same as driving a real car so I understand. I have the 28 Pinion and the 76 Spur to see the performance I can get out of it. But this is not what I will typically run while bashing. Just a mod that I can have to smoke fellow friends in a drag race.

And another question, Is the Velineon a brushless motor an upgrade? Or is it a stock VXL motor? Just trying to understand. (Still a noob!)

RC Champion
    Yes the VXL is an upgrade from the Titan 12t, and probably the best upgrade you'll ever do. Brushless motors are faster, more efficient (longer run times and less heat), have more power, and are virtually maintenance free. The Titan 12t is great for what it is but you'll get tired of replacing it. My daughter's truck is still running the Titan and I keep a spare motor in my toolbox because like ksb51rl said, it is kind of a wear part that should be expected to wear out.

That said, there is a lot you can do to prolong the life of a brushed motor and there are lots of Forum threads that deal with proper break-in methods and maintenance schedules. Once you feel like you want to upgrade to brushless, check out this combo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...ht_2139wt_1066

For $100 you can't go wrong with this combination. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    Yes the VXL is an upgrade from the Titan 12t, and probably the best upgrade you'll ever do. Brushless motors are faster, more efficient (longer run times and less heat), have more power, and are virtually maintenance free. The Titan 12t is great for what it is but you'll get tired of replacing it. My daughter's truck is still running the Titan and I keep a spare motor in my toolbox because like ksb51rl said, it is kind of a wear part that should be expected to wear out.

That said, there is a lot you can do to prolong the life of a brushed motor and there are lots of Forum threads that deal with proper break-in methods and maintenance schedules. Once you feel like you want to upgrade to brushless, check out this combo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...ht_2139wt_1066

For $100 you can't go wrong with this combination. Good luck!
    +1 up on getting the sidewinder SCT and 1410 motor combo its has more programmable options than the VXL