Thread: Drive Shafts

RC Qualifier

Drive Shafts

Tried searching and had technical difficulties. I bought a used truck with metal drive shafts and the grub screws are stripped. (same size as a spur gear grub screw) Any thoughts on how to get them out?

In the meantime heading to the hobby store to pick up new axles. Been awhile since I've been on here, 6852X is the way to go correct? (stock Stamped 4x4 axles)

Thanks.

RC Champion
    Put a little drop of super glue on the end of the Allen wrench and leave the tool in the grub screw for about 30 seconds and then you should be able to turn it out.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    For a 2wd traxxas truck, the stampede 4x4 driveshafts are a nice upgrade. You may have to use the 2wd axles though. The space between the hex where the carrier goes is different.

RC Qualifier
    My truck has the RPM arms and Traxxas carriers. 6852x seem to clear everything fine. Haven't driven it yet but it's together and they turn smooth and don't hit anywhere.

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you get the grub screw out? If not, are you using a quality hex driver to get it out? Traxxas stock allen wrenches wont get the grub screw out of the driveshaft once it's stripped.

RC Qualifier
    I have not tried to get the stripped grub screws (2) out yet. I have the Duratrax tool kit and no go. I don't know what kind of axles these are but they are all metal and have two small grub srcews on each side. Neither goes all the way through the hole in in the output shaft like the Traxxas design. If I get them out I will see if I can use the Traxxas style screw.

I am going to need a set. I was going to buy two sets of the 6852x (which I always do when buying parts) but didn't. I was putting a VXL motor and esc in my kids XL5 and noticed his drive shafts are twisted. It would be helpful if I could get these axles to work.

RC Qualifier

Drive Shafts

Could you get a picture? May help a little

RC Qualifier
    I will get a picture. I was poking around e-bay and they may be Tekno RC M6 axles. Look very similar....h

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea I had steel yokes that had the two grub screws on each side, didn't like it at all. I would head over to the hobby shop and use one of there quality hex drivers to see if you can get it out.

RC Competitor
    allen wrenches are for the weak... go torques. you cant physically strip it enough for torque drivers to not work. and if you somehow manage to, go next size up. it also doesn't wear the screws as quickly...

if theyre stripped you probably don't want to use them again, so drill them out with a carbide bit or similar. sometimes the drill spins it out for you
    I could have bought my LHS by now...