RC Qualifier

Old acura integra?

Hi guys,
    Well I'm almost going to get my license and I need a starter car. I want something that looks kinda ok and I can modify it. Is a 1996 acura integra good or is it not worth it? Because I'm thinking about it and it's been over 15 years for those cars. They sell it pretty cheap but should I buy it or look for something else? Any recommendations? My price range is around 8000$. Yeah I know I need to get a better job but I'm 16 so..
    It needs to have cheap insurance though, thanks for any advice.

1993 corolla. Cheap insurance and a very good one is well below $5k.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Champion
    If your under 25, then insurance will never be cheap. Best bet is a small economical car like a Honda civic with is a counterpart to the inetgra but insurance will be cheaper. Even older luxury brands will have more expensive insurance than their counterparts. I don't suggest any Nissan or Infiniti products beside the Nissan titan. The titan has been great for the past 8 years. We've had the 03 murano and the 99 Infiniti i30 which is like the Nissan maxima. Both cars had terminal issues we could not fix. I own a ford ranger which is a good truck but insurance is more than if I had a car. But I haul around our boat or my kayak enough to need my own truck. What do you plan to do with your vehicle? Answering that will help me give my opinion suited to your circumstance.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Wow I thought a 1996 car is old. I guess 20 year or cars work still fine today? And I'm just going to use it for school. But I don't really want to have a really crappy car. I thought the integra looks okay, better than a 1990 honda civic lol. But yeah it's just for school and work around 7 miles a day? I don't know.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I drive a '91 crx si, I pay probably around $310 a year liability, also have '95 integra $350 a year, 3rd car '07 honda Pilot all 3 cars pay $1000 a year.
    As long as the intgra your getting in good condition, looks stock not rice, no sign of leak everywhere, not alot of body damage, drives good, pass smog I say go get it

RC Enthusiast
    I had a 95 gsr integra and I loved it. Plenty of aftermarket. You said your budget was 8000 right?
    For a 96 integra I wouldn't think you would spend more than like 3000 or so

RC Qualifier
    You're filipino too? Haha. I don't think id be getting $300 insurance. My mom has a 2006 mustang and I really want to drive it, but insurance would cost more than my pay. I asked my mom and she said 1996 is too old. So I need good and cheap cars that I can modify. I'm not all about speed though. Honda civics are overused so no to that
    My uncle had an integra ( ithink ). I remeber it had headlights just like the integra. Is there another car with the same headlights?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, Cheaper would be better so I can get upgrades and stuff. I want a nice looking car with air bags and antilock system so insurance would be cheaper, but also upgradeable and I like a nice accelerating ( manual transmisison too)

RC Champion
    Well if you want an exciting manual, then get a subaru. I like their looks and they can be turned into some nice pro-street cars.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

I just put my 17 yr old son on our insurance, he has no tickets, both my wife and I have Safe Operator discounts, and he is driving a 4 door 98 Honda Civic...

Our insurance almost doubled!!!!!!!!!

And then I watched the news last night,,,, over 40% of the drivers in the state of Florida don't even have insurance, over 30% don't have a valid drivers license....

This is why it costs a fortune to be honest, cause so many are not....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Well if you want an exciting manual, then get a subaru. I like their looks and they can be turned into some nice pro-street cars.
    Would love that. Especially the wrx sti hatchback. But they're a bit expensive, even used ones. The 2004 ones are not my style especially the outback wagon cars lol
    I'll try looking for something a bit better than an integra. Maybe an s13nissan sylva? Dang, I wish I'd save my money instead of buying unnecessary upgrades for my slash!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I just put my 17 yr old son on our insurance, he has no tickets, both my wife and I have Safe Operator discounts, and he is driving a 4 door 98 Honda Civic...

Our insurance almost doubled!!!!!!!!!

And then I watched the news last night,,,, over 40% of the drivers in the state of Florida don't even have insurance, over 30% don't have a valid drivers license....

This is why it costs a fortune to be honest, cause so many are not....
    Haha, wow Florida is not strict about their law!
    But do I really need insurance? Can't I just use my moms car and say I'm borrowing it?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobiispo View Post
    But do I really need insurance? Can't I just use my moms car and say I'm borrowing it?

Unless you have written consent, I believe you will get a ticket if you're not on the insurance card. And the written part is probably only a one time thing.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Why not just drive your mom's car for now and have her put you in her insurance as a second driver? Dont know how much that will add up to her insurance though. I was added to my dad's insurance at that time when I started driving at 21 back in '99, my dad dirve a '93 astro van and I think it adds up his insurance $200 more but then again this was more than a decade and a half ago.
    I build up few years of driving experience (it help as safe driver discount) and wanted to drive stick shift so whats more fun than learning it from an old '89 civic hatch back lol, my insurance was less than $300 liability every 6 months.

RC Qualifier
    See our plan is I drive the mustang and she buys a new one. So i can just join her insurance and use her car? I can't just "borrow" the car everyday? Haha. I thought about cars and I'm not really for looks but I want acceleration and a little bit of top speed. I came across the BMW 3 series (1992/2000), Volkswagen jetta, honda prelude(discontinued, and I think it's not worth it because there wouldn't be any parts when it's broken) and the acura. Any other cars to recommend? I have like 2 months till I get my provisional license!
    Basically I want a car that would go fast when shifting gears! It would seem like a sports car to me.
    Last edited by Cobiispo; 08-12-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I'm a honda guy, I recommend S2000, RSX, or NSX. You want no ticket, drive a CRV lol. Everytime I'm behind my crx a cop sneak up behind me and read my license plate, they find I'm clean and they go away, as long as you obey speed limits and dont go lane to lane like crazy, dont get intimidated by other drivers its your life take care of it, always look twice you never know whats coming.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I know that, I can handle peer pressure. But anyways I'm looking for a car like my uncle had 5 years ago. I remember it had 4 round headlights just like the acura integra. But when I look at the side of it now, it doesn't look like that from what I remember. Is there another car similar to the integra( specifically speaking the headlights up front) I like to front end of the integra but the rests is sad

Old acura integra?

1993-1999 Celica? Or was it newer?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...elica-T200.jpg
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Just a thought. But a very popular car to modify is a Nissan 240sx. Very cheap to by and insure. And they look pretty good if you ask me. They range form the late 80s to late 90s. They are very reliable too. A friend of mine had one with 280,000 miles and no problems. Just throwing that out there.
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

Dont forget the miata, or MR2.

RC Qualifier
    Oh I guess it's that. There's no other one that's similar? I remember the headlights kind of point toward the top of the hood but I can't really remember. The nissan 240sx is the s13 right? It loos, pretty cool but I'm 11th grade and there's a lot of cool 12 grade seniors with a group of cars like that. And I don't want to copy. AND the mr2 is cool! But I need more than one passenger seat. My job after I can drive is take my siblings to school and work so that's a no. Well thanks for the options guys, but I'll look into more, maybe there's a pretty cheap one out there

Quote Originally Posted by Cobiispo View Post
    Here in Florida if you have a full drivers permit most insurance company policies require you inform them of this. Then you either put them on as a secondary driver or they have you sign a document stating this child will not be driving any of the cars that the parents own.

Some of this stuff is required by law, some of it is the policies of the insurance company... But most do follow this agenda... Nice way to bring in those record earning profits to their shareholders......
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Most insurance companies in NJ charge extra for every driver in the household, no matter what you tell them about who will be driving what.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Get a saab 9-2x, they are a subaru wrx underneath and cost a lot less.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    That looks sick! But the back looks kinda bald haha needs a spoiler or something. Well I'm gonna take my driving test soon! I'm so scared. And I guess I still have to pay for insurance anyways, you can't get away from it. Thanks guys, and if you have any other cars you have in mind, please tell me before I buy in like 3 months