Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Is it Worth Building?

I have a bunch of XO-1 parts laying around. I wanna build another XO-1 with the Leopard and CC XL2 ESC. It's gonna cost roughly the same as a brand new XO-1. Is it worth it? Am I gonna get any noticeable improved performance with the XL2 and leopard combo over stock. I already have an XO1 with stock and other upgrades. Just have the summer building itch. What do you guys think?

In my opinion it's probably not worth the money as far as performance. But, if you don't mind spending the money, and would enjoy the challenge, then you should do it. You really can't put a price tag on doing something you enjoy.

RC Champion
    The xl-2 is a far superior esc to the mamba monster, other than that I'm not sure on the leopard. Never compared the big ones to the 1717.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Champion
    The Leopard 5682 is an extremely powerful motor. Well worth the money imo. The XL2 is also a great ESC. Not only can it handle 8s, but it also data logs various parameters.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    The Leopard 5682 is an extremely powerful motor. Well worth the money imo. The XL2 is also a great ESC. Not only can it handle 8s, but it also data logs various parameters.

Jeremy
    Thanks for the reply. How will the XL2 work with the 1717?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 MD View Post
    Thanks for the reply. How will the XL2 work with the 1717?
    It will work fine. Mine is currently set up that way. The 1717 will even handle 8s. Just keep an eye on temps.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    It will work fine. Mine is currently set up that way. The 1717 will even handle 8s. Just keep an eye on temps.

Jeremy
    Have you ever made a 8s pass?
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
    Have you ever made a 8s pass?
    Personally, not yet. But, many others have.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but my question is similar I'm also building a xo-1.
    If you were starting from scratch most would do XL-2 with the 1717?

Just have the summer building itch.
    I get an itch to build/rebuild in the winter, when there isn't much to do. In the summer, that's when we're suppose to play with all of the stuff we build/rebuild in the winter.

RC Qualifier
    Or do both summer and winter.

RC Qualifier
    I pulled the trigger. Will post pics on the build. Gonna be the new Leopard 5882 and XL2 ESC. I have tons of XO parts and spare chassis. Only issue is the soldering. I suck. Have the cap pack to attach to the esc. Maybe can find a Hobby shop to do it. My LHS closed down after 65+ years in business. AM really missing those guys. I bought one of the first XO-1s from them when it came out. The really represented Traxxas well. Hooked me up always. Oh well... To the Build...

RC Qualifier
    [IMG][/IMG]

It begins...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Nice way to start a build, cant wait for the result.

I'm going to start my 360mm wheelbase XO-1 build again soon........

RC Qualifier
    Awesome... keep us informed!!

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to your success I may follow in your foot steps.
    The only parts I need to finish off my xo-1 build are the electronics.
    Pretty much decided to go with a Spectrum radio for the AVC features.
    I want to see 110 mph+ figure the auto stability is the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Just an update of my build so far. The goal is for this rig to hit >100 MPH. No slop so far. Have my shocks set up for heavy duty.. leaving em out overnight so the bubbles can disappear... using aluminum a-arms and they fit sweet... also the upgraded mount to house the monster 1/5 scale leopard. Am gonna run 50T spur and 34T pinion... lemme know what you guys think...

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Nice build and the arms look good too! I have that drag link in both cars and for such a simple part does wonders for the steering. One suggestion from my experience tho. I noted that you have o-rings on your drive shaft. If you remove all the play in the driveshaft, check for binding in the front diff ring and pinion as the front coupler is pushed forward and in turn, pushing the pinion gear further into the ring gear. Stock the outer pinion bearing tends to walk about a mm or so out of the diff casing. Two ways around this. One o-ring front and back allowing the slight walk or shim using a Teflon washer between the coupler and the bearing. I shim and only use two o-rings, one front and one rear, but that is just me and have had no issues.
    Last edited by Taurusx2; 10-06-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Brushless E-Revo
    Summit
    XO-1 X (2)
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thanks... I noticed the same issue. What I did was reduce the play. Two orings in back and one I front. There is no binding so far but will see. I hate slop but understand that there are applications which require some. Am waiting now for my end mill to cut an 8 mm hole in my carms to fit bearings for steering. Will see what happens. So far so good.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good. Getting close.
    Are they custom motoe mount and arms?

RC Qualifier
    The mount is custom made... great design and engineering from highgearRC.. sells em on ebay. These are the second set of arms I bought from a guy on ebay. I have been using them on my stock XO1 and they have been bullet proof and cuts out slop and improves drive-ability and handling way better than stock... so I quickly bough a second set for this build... they are for a slash 4x4...

RC Racer
    Hey are the bearings for the front c caster to steering nuckle? If so would you be able to get a extra set done I will pay.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry Ya510... am gonna be experimenting... my milling skills are minimal... if it works out well, then I will see what I can do for you... no charge...

RC Qualifier
    Progress... got everything soldered. Install of the motor was no problem. Just take your time. Fits nice and snug. Added cap pack and BEC pro... next is the mount for the ESC. Still waiting on my springs and controlled... overall, the build is going well...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Are you going to have to flip the arms to put the shocks on the rear of the tower to clear that large pinion?
    Brushless E-Revo
    Summit
    XO-1 X (2)
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    This pinion is 34 T and am using an adapter. It looks like its gonna fit without having to flip the arms. Will post pics. Just waiting on my springs to arrive.
    ESC and Motor are all set. Ready for receiver and lipos. Getting there.

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Thanks for the reply, your build is looking killer I can't wait to hear about how it preforms for you.. keep up the good work and info.

RC Qualifier
    Had to break out the dremmel and modify standoffs to fit. Am using 34T pinion and 50T spur. As you can seen in the pic, I have decent clearance now without having to FLIP the arms, which I did not want to do. I am sure if I go 29T pinion and 46 Spur I may not need the modified standoff, but with all the power of the Leopard, I believe 34/50 combination is more than adequate for >100 MPH... I stand corrected. Installed all my shocks with EREVO springs for the added weight of my set-up. Now to prep my body. Still waiting for electronics ie receiver/radio. Hope I get some warmer weather. Batteries ordered and today I will attempt to mill C-Hubs. Currently I have zero slop with the integy 4x4 slash Cuab set-up but I will try to modify my stock hubs to accommodate the bearings... Almost there...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

looking good man!! your getting close to finishing it, can't wait to see that beast running.

RC Racer
    I noticed the BEC Pro. What servo are you thinking of using? I am trying to avoid a Bec in my cars and was thinking of an XP or Ace DS1015 or DS1313 as some have said they do not require one. Thoughts?
    Brushless E-Revo
    Summit
    XO-1 X (2)
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I am going to be using a Savox. In my other XO I am using a glitch buster with my savox and it works flawlessly, but that set-up is for bashing and casual driving. This set-up I am currently building is for extreme duty speed runs if you know what I mean... so I want the ESC to only feed the motor, I expect the BEC to do its job and handle the steering.

HPI Vorza
    Jato 3.3
    Tmaxx with Picco JL Red Dot
    Ofna DM1 with Kyosho 2.5
    Ofna X3 Sabre with JL 2.8
    OFNA LX2 Axial 2.8
    CEN Matrix Arena JL 3.2
    XO-1 with upgrades
    XO1 current build...

ALL of em have Savox Servos and are upgraded to the MAX... few shelf queens but man I love this Hobby...
    Last edited by XO-1 MD; 10-11-2014 at 12:33 AM.

RC Racer
    I got ya. My ERBE has a Castle 10amp BEC powering a Hitec HS7954SH servo. Just trying to follow the K.I.S.S. principle on the car. Less wiring and routing to deal with. I have a spare that a buddy gave me that he had cut off the esc harness off of to use as an extension on something else. I don't know what he was thinking. I may repair and test it and put it to good use. I guess we shall see!
    Brushless E-Revo
    Summit
    XO-1 X (2)
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Go for it!! Post couple pics too!!!

RC Qualifier
    Xo-1, which savox servo are you going to use?

RC Qualifier
    Mission Accomplished... All done. neosw6 the servo is Savox SC0251. Now this car is RIDICULOUS!! Anyone who says the Leopard is not up to speed has no idea what they are talking about. Just took it into the street and could only BARELY pull the throttle... CRAAAAZY... The car is tight and the absence of slop shows. Hands down way better than my other XO. Someone asked me earlier about reinforcing the body. As you can see I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating per Walmart and it is the perfect blend of strength, flexibility without being brittle and beautiful finish. I had to modify the battery posts to be longer to fit my 4S Lipos from SPC and they are perfect. Used plastic epoxy to add 4 mm extensions. Folks, this project required patience and thought and my dremmel... but I am truly satisfied with the outcome. I had to add stiffer springs to the rear because of the crazy torque and weight of the Leopard Monster. Also, I updated everything on Castle for software and the ESC is flawless, BEC pro makes that Servo swing and am at only 6V output. But all is working well... Next I need to find a LONG smooth stretch of road... am loving it... Traxxas Rocks...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by XO-1 MD; 10-11-2014 at 04:00 PM.

that thing looks SWEET!!

I cant wait to finish mine, so far I got the chassis cut.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Huma... don't forget to POST some pics man... Am gonna put mine through the paces today.. will report back...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but my question is similar I'm also building a xo-1.
    If you were starting from scratch most would do XL-2 with the 1717?
    I'd use it if I was planning on pushing it to the 100mph mark a lot. I don't really have any good places to go that fast though. I only have enough room for ~75mph at my best spots, so I'd probably build one with a MM2/2200 combo and save a little cash.

Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 MD View Post
    Hey Huma... don't forget to POST some pics man... Am gonna put mine through the paces today.. will report back...
    here I'm at so far

RC Qualifier
    WOW... looking wicked already man is that the corvette body? what color scheme are yuh gonna use? and where did you get those wheels? They look like Kyosho GT's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast