RC poster

Bought LaTrax today - Motor failed today

Bought a LaTrax today at my local Hobby Town store, came home and charged the battery, and took it out to fly. (I am a newbee - never flown a quad before)

Watched a bunch of online videos and read the manual first so I started off slow and tried to get a stable hover at about 3 - 5 ft. Never could get it to stay in one place no matter what I did. Had to kill the throttle a bunch of times to keep it from crashing into something. Called Traxxas support (nice guys) and they had me reset the transmitter and re-pair to the LaTrax. Somewhat better stabilization after that - then the rear left motor started acting up.

Sometimes it would start - sometimes it wouldn't. If it did start it would be slower than the other ones unless I "punched" the throttle. Then both rear motors would start, but slower than the front, and the LaTrax would take off at a slant or it would flip on it's back because there was more lift from the front.

With the problems I'm having, Traxxas support said they were sending me new motors so the LaTrax is back in it's box for now.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you do the "dip" test? Lower each corner while applying full throttle, that motor should spin fast (all 4 motors should spin at the same speed). Do this for all 4 corners (motors). Reset the accelerometers: http://latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alias-Ac...eter-Reset.pdf. I have to do this reset often, especially after crashes.

For some unknown reason the above link is dead. http://latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alias-Ac...eter-Reset.pdf
    Do this and rebind. It has worked for me.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    For some unknown reason the above link is dead.
    The link in rdw50's post was apparently copied from a post and not from a browser's address bar. Therefore the "..." are no longer an abbreviation for the rest of "accelerometer", but understood to be simply "..."

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program...
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rdw50 View Post
    Did you do the "dip" test? <Snip>
    Yes, the tech at Traxxas had me perform that procedure while I was on the phone with him. Even after that there wasn't really any change in the way it acted and that's when the tech said he was sending me new motors.

The tech support at Traxxas is very good and it's a shame that their product isn't. Having failures right out of the box indicates, IMHO, that quality control is somewhat lacking at wherever these are made.
    Last edited by 762x51_44; 08-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The link in rdw50's ...blah blah blah blah blah...
    <Charlie Brown's teacher> Oh brother </Charlie Brown teacher>

The Super Derecho

RC poster
    only been flying my alias or three weeks and have had a host of motor issues, even tho customer support has been great it was really frustrating flying for two days motor failure, 3 days motor failure, now failure again seems to be the b motor every time,

RC poster
    Is anyone having luck with the aftermarket motors lasting longer? I get that they are only rated for 6ish hours..and I'm really enjoying the quad, so I'll prob quit playing the motor lottery and buy some aftermarket motors if those are having better luck.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-24-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Language

RC poster
    Micro Motor Warehouse has excellent motors: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-15-11t

RC Racer
    Three posts in a row on early motor failures with the new motors. I guess the honeymoon is over.

I've come to the conclusion that the Alias is not a good choice for those who fly long and fly hard unless they're okay with frequent routine motor replacement. Even if you get full rated life from any of these cheap brush motors, the performance starts letting down half way through. Great quad for more casual and laid-back flyers like me though. I'm still running my original holy motors and have four replacement sets on the shelf -- each different. Kinda like a collector.

RC poster
    i too just bought my Alias today....bought it thru my LHS, after only 5 packs, the front left motor went dead.
    called traxxas support and they immediately knew it was the motor.....i did not know of the problem prior to buying the alias....guess i should have done more research....traxxas is sending out new motors...they said i should have it in a week.
    its just a bummer that it did not last...only 5 sorties...wow.....are the new motors all upgraded now? if a motor lasts 20 packs....i would be happy....i know these things run high rpm so it will have a short lifespan...btw....my alias serial ends in 972.... so i guess this was the old batch

RC poster
    I got replacement motors from BuyTraxxas, they work great, so far 40+ packs not one issue-

RC poster
    got my replacement motors from traxxas today.....6 days total....thanks traxxas

RC poster
    did they send the motors for free or did you have to pay for them?

RC poster
    I called Traxxas today and they are sending me new motors, they were very good about it as it seems to a known problem- motors were free but he cautioned me that's a one time deal, no problem here, I understand

I have a suggestion for an optional upgrade; how about harder plastic, like Delron, spur gears.

RC poster
    I bought two Alias and both have a failed motor each and other motors starting to run slow on the first flight! The support has been great and replacements coming but... considering how common this problem seems I have to admit I am disappointed. Being a long way from the rest of the world (I live in New Zealand) we end up paying a premium getting parts etc. From the posts it seems like replacement motors from MMW and possibly bearings from BOCA would give a more reliable outcome.

RC poster

Bought LaTrax today - Motor failed today

Quote Originally Posted by keithww View Post
    I bought two Alias and both have a failed motor each and other motors starting to run slow on the first flight! The support has been great and replacements coming but... considering how common this problem seems I have to admit I am disappointed. Being a long way from the rest of the world (I live in New Zealand) we end up paying a premium getting parts etc. From the posts it seems like replacement motors from MMW and possibly bearings from BOCA would give a more reliable outcome.
    Hi keithww. I feel your pain. Mine arrived last Tuesday from eBay. Came with a second lipo. Purchased two more over the weekend and ran it about 20 times. Today the right rear motor died. Luckily, I ordered some aftermarket motors from MMW (Aussie warehouse) mid last week for about $35. Should arrive this week. This thing is great fun.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-03-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithww View Post
    From the posts it seems like replacement motors from MMW and possibly bearings from BOCA would give a more reliable outcome.
    I personally found no advantage to running MMW motors on my Alias. I got a full set a few months after they first came out and it was a pain having to solder the Traxxas leads to them and install pinions from the old motors. Now they have the polymer pinions which people have reported wear out very quickly.
    Everyone goes through the pain of the motors with this aircraft, though with smart flying (such as not powering the motors when a rotor is caught against something) the motors last a long time.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the MMW and Traxxas motors came off the same factory assembly line.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Guys, here's a few tips I've picked up being fairly new to the world of Quads.

Whether stock motors or the MMW's you "MUST BREAK THEM IN" not sure why this isn't mentioned more ofter, but think about it. The brushes inside these little motors are not much bigger than microscopic, so go easy at first (this was the suggestion from Benedikt Haas himself, MMW's head MOTOR MAN) run your motors at no more than half throttle for at least 3 full batteries.

If your running stock motors, before running, clean the motors where the shaft and tiny gear come out with a good quality Electronic cleaner ( your hobby dealer will have what ever the electric / slot guys use, here in California I asked and was given "Performance Plus 4 electronic cleaner for RC cars", then, on the gears, I use a "DRY" lube, this comes from your local bicycle dealer, it's for chains, use it sparingly, just a drop or two per shaft, I actually bought a small applicator used for Rc cars, I think it was from Associated, has a needle point with a little bottle attached, comes with some light oil in it, dump the oil, clean the bottle, then put some of the lube in it......remember sparingly!!

For me and my bird, the MMW motors are in my opinion, great, and the 15's and (17's when available again) are plug and play, no soldering, reasonably sure they all come like that now. They do have more power!!, and YES, for gawd sakes, if your flyer is headed for trouble, let it crash,( the Alias is near bullet proof) JUST REMEMBER TO SHUT THE MOTORS DOWN, you risk motor failure or even board failure.

I think we all lose site of the fact that these little quads are only $150.00, that's for everything, RTF in that original box, a fair amount for the money. and the Traxxas People in my opinion are top notch, yes I lost a couple of motors and the guys at Traxxas sent new replacements, PRONTO, that's customer service!!!!!

For the money these small quads provide a great flying experience, so enjoy!!......ok, I'll get off my soapbox. LOL

PS, I've had my MMW 15 motors in for weeks now, flying multi times per day with no issues with either of the gears.
    Last edited by mikea324; 11-05-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    To new to expect to much, Fly, Fly, Fly

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirock7 View Post
    Micro Motor Warehouse has excellent motors: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-15-11t
    I bought these and they have been flawless.