RC Qualifier

Pinion won't stay tightened!

For some reason my pinion doesn't want to stay tightened. Do you guys use thread lock on yours? I think I'm going to try it.

yes blue loctite

Two things...

Yes, I use blue loc-tite let it set 24hrs. I apply it to the set-screws when I get them that way they are dry

And make sure you screw set-screw thru the hole most of the way, sometimes there is a bugger in the threads that will stop the screw from being against the motor shaft like it should.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I'll get some blue then.

I loctite nothing, never have.
    I have 0 issues with things coming loose on any of my seven at present rc trucks.
    IMO a quality set of tools and proper tightening will do fine.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Make sure that the grub screw is on the flat section of the shaft...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I'm tightening it really well and my tool fits very tightly. Not sure what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by steve4765630 View Post
    I'm tightening it really well and my tool fits very tightly. Not sure what's going on.
    It happens to me all the time ever since I switched to the 2400kv motor. If your tool already fits perfectly and you get proper torque a quality driver won't change a thing. That's why they make Loctite.

RC Qualifier
    Blue Loctite.
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

I had a problem of stripped threads in my pinions with the ET -3s 2400 combination. I got a hardened Robinson Racing pinion and tightened the crap out of it. I have had no more problems with it. It was extremely frustrating to me to have to replace the pinion after no more than five packs.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post
    It happens to me all the time ever since I switched to the 2400kv motor. If your tool already fits perfectly and you get proper torque a quality driver won't change a thing. That's why they make Loctite.
    I have to respectfully disagree, after 36 years in auto mechanics you quickly discover quality tools are a nite and day difference.
    More often then not cheap tools make "proper torque" and elusive goal.
    Proper twisting force (torque) and maintaining the fasteners integrity are far easier when quality tools are utilized.
    The second or third time cheap tools are used damage to the grub screw can make "proper torque" near impossible.
    I admit rc cars aren't 1:1 vehicles but the principle is the same.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree, after 36 years in auto mechanics you quickly discover quality tools are a nite and day difference.
    Proper twisting force (torque) and maintaining the fasteners integrity are far easier when quality tools are utilized.
    The second or third time cheap tools are used damage to the grub screw can make "proper torque" near impossible.
    I completely agree with your statement! All of my automotive tools are Craftsman. When the socket fits tight there is less chance of damage to the fasteners. R/C is exactly the same! When you have quality tools that properly fit the hex screws there can be more torque placed on them with less chance of slippage. The keys that the truck comes with are quick to wear. Which results in an un-tight fit which means that you will most likely strip the hex heads and thus lessen the amount of torque that is able to be applied to the hex.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I said "If your tool fits perfectly and you are getting proper torque." Under those conditions a "Quality" driver won't make a difference. Quality tools are always preferred, and I am NOT advocating the use of low quality tools. I am just saying a claim that a "Quality" tool will tighten a screw better than another tool that fits perfectly, works correctly, and applies the correct amount of torque seems a bit far fetched. Especially when it comes to eliminating Loctite in this instance.

This same claim was made in a thread I posted a while ago about the exact same issue. I guarantee there is not a hex driver made that could tighten my grub screw any better and stop it from coming back out. I already use "Quality" tools and I still need Loctite. There is no damage on the screw and the driver still fits as tightly as it did the first time I put it on. A new grub screw or pinion & grub screw will probably fix the issue 100%, but using a different driver will not change a thing.

Now, if I said the driver does not fit snugly, it damaged the hex, the driver twisted/bent when I turned it, or the handle is too small then a quality driver will make a difference. Loctite may not be needed on your vehicle, but many others will find it necessary when it comes to metal on metal contact because vibrations and movement will cause things to loosen up over time.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 08-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.

I've not had a need to use it on the pinion grub screws for any of my trucks but you can use blue Loctite.
    Here are two reasons NOT to:
    1. If too much is applied, getting your pinion off can be very difficult.
    2. Application of thread lock can mask other problems:
    a. Poor quality of pinion machining.
    b. Mis-assembly of or damage to slipper assembly parts.
    c. Excessive vibration arising from other areas of the truck.

Pinion gears don't just come loose. There is a reason or are reasons this is happening. Is it not better to treat the cause of the problem than to focus on the symptom?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I've had this problem before....some (cheap) pinion gears are made softer metal and the will wiggle lose. Is you pinion shiny? Also, some times the grub screw has a bad end on it, not allowing it to sit properly.