Thread: 1/8 bb shocks

RC poster

1/8 bb shocks

I'm looking to put on some of these and am new to this. I was wondering what repercussions there are to running a longer shock (say 100mm) in the front. From what I can gather the rears are around 104mm and fronts are like 90mm. Can I run the same length at all four corners? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Tonga3; 08-31-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    if you want you use all around the same length suspension, you might have to put rear shock tower up front to compensate the ride height, for instance, if you buy GTR suspensions from Ultimate/Platinum you want all rear and buy a rear tower.

here's the GTR suspensions
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Traxxas-...item2c8abab2c5

and Welcome to RC addiction

RC poster
    Thanks! It's been around 25 years since I last was rc'ing. Things certainly have progressed. Is it just a matter of putting a rear shock tower on the front?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonga3 View Post
    Thanks! It's been around 25 years since I last was rc'ing. Things certainly have progressed. Is it just a matter of putting a rear shock tower on the front?
    Yes getting a rear tower put it up front. I've thought about doing this myself. But haven't decided yet

tell me about it, I was gone for 8 years and came back and I see new things that I have to learn lol.

the rear shock tower has a little tilt but it can be fixed with some spacers.
    I have XO-1 rear shock tower and you can see from that blue stand off a silver spacer.

Check out caster racing big bore front shocks they are 16mm and will be sick for a pede with a bigger motor,esc and Lipo packs to take the extra weight but still jump like a proWelcome to the forum and addiction my friend....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Check out caster racing big bore front shocks they are 16mm and will be sick for a pede with a bigger motor,esc and Lipo packs to take the extra weight but still jump like a proWelcome to the forum and addiction my friend....peace
    I had my eye on those as well but can only find one set of fronts and a set of rears. I can't find the length of the rears anywhere so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Any idea of the length of the rear Casters?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm wondering if those would even work with the pede. Since they are 16mm. The gtrs that I had on mine and if you look at humayrayakongkinaon pic he has gtrs notice the spring is either close or rubbing the toe links. I would think the caster shocks would be to wide even for the fronts they might rub real bad on the chassis. Hmmm decisions decisions

They will fit a friend of mine used them on his pede and they rocked go through my friends list and look for Thomas p and check out his pedes dude.....peace

Only way to make a 16mm suspension to fit is with a longer ball ends on one side.

I should have know that my friend Thomas had done something to make them fit but they are sick for the price and are bulletproof.....peace

They will fit a friend of mine used them on his pede and they rocked go through my friends list and look for Thomas p and check out his pedes dude.....peace
    Here it is (see his post # 28):

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4806806
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I should have know that my friend Thomas had done something to make them fit but they are sick for the price and are bulletproof.....peace
    Yea after doing research I see that the D8 shocks are same diameter 16mm and I've seen those on at least one truck here.

RC Qualifier
    heres my truck with the vorzas, they work perfectly, just needed longer ball ends for the rears. the fronts fit perfect with the stock shock tower

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5736142

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    heres my truck with the vorzas, they work perfectly, just needed longer ball ends for the rears. the fronts fit perfect with the stock shock tower

Are you using all fronts on your truck or front and rears

RC poster
    That's great! Just ordered 4 Vorza shocks, which ball ends did you use for the rears and what weight oil did you use?
    Thanks!

OOPS, got jumpy before I read your whole thread which clearly states the pn I need. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post

Last edited by Tonga3; 09-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Haha don't feel bad tonga3. I did the same thing by asking if he had all fronts or fronts and rears. But it says on the same post as the part number you needed lol oops

You will be a very happy bunny with those monster shocks dude....peace

RC poster
    I'll shoot some pics once they're all on.

Sweet dude looking forward to them.......peace

RC poster
    Finally got them in. I can't seem to figure out how to add pics but I hit the local track today and they are absolutely amazing! The high flying jumps I can take and flat landings is amazing. If you are contemplating this mod, do it.

I am stoked for you dude good shocks do make a difference when you bash and jump hard...peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Finally got them in. I can't seem to figure out how to add pics but I hit the local track today and they are absolutely amazing! The high flying jumps I can take and flat landings is amazing. If you are contemplating this mod, do it.
    What color springs came with yours. Mine came with grey up front and orange for rears

RC poster
    Greys all around. Put 35 wt oil in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Haha I out 30 front 20 rear. Haven't tried them out yet. I tore it down for maintenance

RC poster
    Found I have a bit of bucking from the rear. What steps do I do to eliminate it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Found I have a bit of bucking from the rear. What steps do I do to eliminate it?
    Where is your preload screw set at. If it's set in middle like mine was when arrived. If so raise it up some.

RC poster
    Pretty much at the top now, it only bucks a slight bit coming up small curbs etc. No bucking when landing jumps so not sure if that is just going to be normal or not.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You could get a softer spring. Only problem is from what I saw is in the length of that grey spring is it's 60mm and that's the softest one that long. There is softer ones but are 68mm long and 76mm long. You should be alright with either one. Unless you plan on upgrading to a bigger/lower kv motor. I don't know if your still running stock system. Or heavier oil.

RC poster
    Stock system for now but probably not for long. I'll play around with it today.

RC Qualifier
    A thicker shock oil helps with the dampening. Try 50 weight...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

I would agree 50wt is my favorite weight for my shocks and a good starting point for these little monster trucks especially if you jump big time....peace

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    A thicker shock oil helps with the dampening. Try 50 weight...
    So maybe leave the 35 in front and put 50 in rear? Or 50 all around?
    Thanks.

Do 50wt all round for the best balance dude and you should be on the money...peace