Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

New guy checking in.

Hi all. Last Christmas my son got a cheapie monster truck for a gift. It was good for driving around the house and in the driveway but that was about it. My son really liked it though. My birthday rolled around and I figured, why not get myself a truck. A quick trip to my local hobby shop produced a Stampede 4x4 VXL a 2s lipo and a charger.

Here she is just about new.

A day or so later I plowed into a parked car so it was off to the hobby shop again.

I upgraded to RPM control arms and aluminum shock caps all the way around. I chopped down the body mounts a little too while I was at it.

My sons birthday came around and I figured he needed a monster truck like dad. I got him a 1/16 Summit VXL and flipped the tranny gears to slow it down.

How can a 4 year old birthday party be complete without a remote control birthday present? I cut out the bottom of the box and tywrapped the truck into the box so the tires were barely sticking out of the bottom. It was awesome. We wrapped it up and put it in the corner and my brother in law drove it away when he went to grab it. Nobody knew were were doing it and it surprised everyone! My son was stoked.

Ready for wrapping.

Here she is fresh and new.

We just bash around the yard and try to avoid the inanimate objects. Moms feet, the dog and little brother are popular targets. There's a jump made of a couple pallets and some left over plywood in the driveway. Nothing exotic.

I was killing my chassis jumping so I upgraded to the 6868 +20% Slash progressive rate springs on my front shocks and that really helped things out. She still handles great and can really take some aggressive jumping now. $5 was better than $70 for upgraded shocks for now. Big bores or something later...

I found out why Trenchers on Desperados are so popular. Because they rock! Great grass traction. Great road traction. Great dirt traction. Better control in the air. Softer landings from big jumps. Everything is improved over the stock talons.

I just picked up a 3s lipo too. This thing really cooks with a little extra juice. I think I'm going to have to tighten up the slipper a bit though. I have a feeling some more serious repairs are in my future.

Well, here they sit. Nothing extraordinary (yet), but they're ours. Every day I come home to "Dad can we drive monster trucks?" Yup! We sure can.

Last edited by Magstang1; 09-17-2014 at 07:54 PM.

The stampede 4x4 is awesome! Good choices!
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    Welcome to another father and son team. My son has really gotten into the hobby lately and it all started with his Grave Digger 1/10. Btw, I dig the heck out of that wrapping idea having the truck drive away... I may have to do that myself.

RC Qualifier
    Family time +RC time=beyond priceless. I love driving with my 5 year old son, but he hasn't been bitten by the rc bug yet. He is to much of a Lego fanatic. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

The driving present was a hit! Parents and kids were unsuspecting. I had a crowd of 8 or so kids chasing it around the house. Some grabbing the box. Some trying to figure out who was driving it. A couple were convinced I was using my phone, which I was actually shooting video with. My brother in law did a great job of keeping it low key. It was certainly a surprise to everyone.

You sound like one awesome dad Welcome to the forum and addiction my friend..peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, we upgraded to dirt and mud puddles today. There's a wooded area behind the house that I've been wanting to explore. Everything was good except there were more Mosquitos than an African jungle. I thought I was going to get carried away. My son slipped and fell directly into the mud about 4 seconds after we got there but all I could do was laugh. He loved it. His smile was as big as the mud puddle.

Day well spent.

Last edited by Magstang1; 09-25-2014 at 07:27 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    nice looking rigs! the smile on your sons face is priceless as he splashes himself with mud
    Stampede / Summit

Nothing like family bashing time to keep the little and large kids happy ...peace

RC Qualifier
    Man the water really puts the hurt on these things.

U joints sticky. Driveshaft slip joints stuck. Slipper clutch locked up. Basically every moving part is either stuck or gritty.

I spent all morning tearing down, cleaning and living. Lesson learned. Next time I'm hosing these things down with 3in1 before and after we go play in the mud.

What kind of lube do you guys use?

I don't use much lube on these. It just attracts dust. If anything use Sullivan dry ice. It's a dry Teflon lube.

As far as running in water the best thing to do is to rinse it off with the garden hose then dry it with a heat gun or hair dryer. The important one is getting it dried off. If you let it dry on its own then things will lock up.

You don't need wd40 or 3in1 before and after the run.

RC Qualifier
    Strange, I don't have an edit button for my last post. It's supposed to say cleaning and lubing, not living. Oh well...

I did rinse with water and blow them off with the air compressor when we got back. No way I'm sitting here with a hair dryer.

I was flipping the trans back to the normal ratio on my son's mini summit when I realized how locked up it was. Nothing that was supposed to move was moving very freely at all. I thought I did a decent job of cleaning before I put them away last time. I guess I was wrong. I cleaned them up, hosed them down with some lube to get them moving, ran a few laps in the driveway and blew the excess off with the air compressor. The mini summit is noticeably faster now.

The air compressor tends to blow junk into the bearings. You have to dry it with heat. That's the only way you will get the bearings dry.

RC Racer
    You can always pay Burger King to set it under the fry lamps for a while..
    Play Hard, Have fun!

I like that idea.

Dry lube all the way or graphite powder or your truck becomes a dirt and dust magnet LOL...peace

RC Qualifier
    I'll have to degrease all the garage door lube off before I put the dry film on. She needed something and that's all I had at hand. At least it smells like lemons...

I picked up some dry film at the hardware store today so after all his junk I have on there now wears off I put some dry film back on.

Sounds good man dry graphite powder has kept my mips smooth as butter...peace

RC Enthusiast
    Real cool story you have there Mag.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as Hirschowl. None of my 2 kids are RC junkies, neither my wife.
    Rustler, Stamp4de, Sl4ggy, Slickrock.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man. I guess I'm lucky in the hobby department. For the most part the family follows my interest in things. Try to keep it fun and everyone wins!

On a more positive note, I picked up some of those plastic skateboard ramps from a neighborhood garage sale this morning. Score! Let the broken RCs resume...

Out of my three kids only my 2 year old son has a rc bug but he is 3 just before Christmas so I need to do some research before I purchase him a truck....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magstang1 View Post
    Thanks man. I guess I'm lucky in the hobby department. For the most part the family follows my interest in things. Try to keep it fun and everyone wins!

On a more positive note, I picked up some of those plastic skateboard ramps from a neighborhood garage sale this morning. Score! Let the broken RCs resume...
    Lol oh yes those ramps are fun. I need another one to make it wider. One just isn't wide enough. Most times I get the driver side on ramp and passenger side misses. I've learned to drive slow then punch it as I hit the ramp then back flips it is

RC Qualifier
    My son just turned 4 and the mini summit was a good choice. Durable, traxxas tough and you can flip the gears in the trans to slow it down at first. I loosened the slipper up a bit for the hard hits and so far so good. I feel like this truck has plenty of room to grow with him and it keeps dad entertained from time to time too. Not the cheapest but I would rather pay a little more for something durable.

I actually got 2 ramps and the platform to make a tabletop out of them. I agree, one ramp is kind of a narrow target. Two side by side is much better. The angle is just right too. The trucks launch really nice off of them. $8 well spent.

RC Qualifier
    Well, a few weeks and a few hundred dollars later...

My son finally hurt the mini summit. He launched off the skateboard ramp and broke a rear driveshaft. We're working on throttle control for the landing. Oh well.

The stampede has seen a few 3s packs through it and the rear driveshafts are starting to look like candy canes. Time for some MIP action!

It's simply amazing that the lid isn't in worse shape. Let me assure you that it's durability has been thoroughly tested. I did come up with a solution to strengthen the rear mount area that has been working very well. You'll have to excuse me. The stainless wasn't as "stainless" as I had hoped. It needs some scotch brite love.

I rebuilt the shocks with upgraded shafts. I should have just upgraded the shocks from day one. After aluminum caps, tini shafts and upgraded springs I'm just about at upgraded shocks cost wise. Oh well. It was fun tinkering and I like my setup now.

Oh ya, added a t bone front bumper too. It really helps with the hard landings. I plowed into a mailbox at 40mph and drove away unharmed. I'm not going to test that one again though.

That's it. Still loving these trucks!

You have done some awesome stuff to your trucks dude and use mini revo drive shafts on the summit they last longer so I have been told....peace

RC Qualifier
    I was actually going to get the revo shafts but the hobby shop was out. Next set. An entire revo shaft costs less than half of a summit shaft.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea throttle control is a good tip. My boys likes to hit the brakes in mid air causing the trucks to land on their lids.

Throttle control is a hard thing to teach kids let alone grown ups LOL....peace

RC Qualifier
    I've been trying to explain it to him and after it broke I think he got it a little. Mom asked what happened later and he said it was because he didn't let go of the gas on the ramp, so that's good.

Bad news tonight. Gears in the steering servo for the mini summit are stripped. Bummer. That shut down our afternoon bash session. Quite honestly it was pretty frustrating thinking the truck was fixed and finding it broken right out of the gate.

Another trip to the hobby shop for some parts... Luckily my local shop is really good and the prices are generally lower than anywhere online. I like going there and it's nice to support a local business. Hopefully too many parts don't fall into the bag.

If the summit turns into a money pit it just might be a good excuse to pass my son the stampede and get dad a new toy. At least that's how I'll probably justify it.

I would go on the summit forum and ask the guys what servo they are running.I think there's a brand called blue bird that make strong little servos dude if that helps...peace

RC Qualifier
    I heard about the bluebird. I'll check that out. The gears in the stock servo are replaceable and they're like $3 so I'll give that a shot first. He's getting better at driving so hopefully we aren't at the edge of a cliff of broken parts.

So if you wanted to replace the p4de and wanted another machine to terrorize the neighborhood, what would you go with?

You could always go with the Slash 4x4. Most of the parts are interchangeable so you wouldn't have to have a whole lot of different parts around to keep both trucks on the road.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I would also go for a slash 4x4 or a bandit/rustler for rwd craziness......peace

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking at an 1/8 truggy but I don't think that discussion is allowed on this forum.

The back wheels are getting wobbly on the pede. I'm not sure if the bearings themselves are loose or if they are moving inside the carrier. Then there a little slop between the carrier and the lower control arm and again between the control arm and chassis.

How often do you need to replace the rear axle bearings and will aluminum carriers help this problem?

Aluminium carriers will help get rid of slop and I check my bearings about once a few weeks especially if I have run my truck in fine dust....peace

RC Qualifier
    I pulled the rear carriers apart and I didn't find anything obvious. One race was a little sloppy in the bearing but that was about it. This problem started with the MIPs.

I cleaned the bearings and carriers. Reinstalled the bearings and the spacer and I used a 1/4 inch nut as a spacer to draw the hex tight before I locked down the grub screw. Still wobbling and binding. You can hear a funny pulsating noise as I'm running at a steady speed. The wheels wobble slightly causing some binding. I guess it's time to replace the bearings and carriers. After countless cartwheels and 35 mph curb jumps, it's a wonder they lasted this long. I'm spoiled with 3s now. I always seem to grab the big battery.

So. What rear carriers are best? Traxxas aluminum?

Traxxas,strc are the brands I would stick with dude ....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run the traxxas ones with my MIPS and I don't have the in and out movement now like before. I also went with avid bearings only cause I had to find 5x12x4 bearings for the rear and front carriers

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum axle carriers and new bearings are installed. I went with the Traxxas 1952x aluminum hubs. The problem I ran into was an interference between the MIP axle and the back of the hub. At full droop the axle bound up tight against the hub. Not good.

Here you can see some aluminum from the hub worn off on the axle just from spinning the wheels a couple times by hand.

A little die grinder action to remove a bit off the back of the hub and the interference is gone.

And here's the finished product.

So if you're running MIP axles and aluminum hubs then you better check your clearances before you pop a battery in and take off.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magstang1 View Post
    Aluminum axle carriers and new bearings are installed. I went with the Traxxas 1952x aluminum hubs. The problem I ran into was an interference between the MIP axle and the back of the hub. At full droop the axle bound up tight against the hub. Not good.

Here you can see some aluminum from the hub worn off on the axle just from spinning the wheels a couple times by hand.

A little die grinder action to remove a bit off the back of the hub and the interference is gone.

And here's the finished product.

So if you're running MIP axles and aluminum hubs then you better check your clearances before you pop a battery in and take off.
    Good thing I run the xo1 carriers a mm bigger. Did you use the spacer(s) in between the bearings

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast