Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Yes, I did use the spacer between the bearings. At first I didn't but when I was installing the hex on the axle shaft, the flat spot where the grub screw for the hex is wasn't long enough. The hex was hitting the shoulder where they stopped milling the flat on the axle shaft and there was a little bit of slop with the axle sliding back and forth through the bearings.

With the spacer installed, it pushes the bearings apart just enough that the wheel hex isn't hard against that shoulder. I thought about lengthening the flat spot and not using the spacer but then I would be squeezing the bearings together in the hub and putting lateral pressure on the bearing races. That would kill the bearings in no time. The spacer allows the bearings to be stacked on to the axle and the only axial pressure they see is from when the truck is turning. The wheel nut stacks against the plastic wheel, onto the axle hex, on to a bearing, on to the spacer, on to the other bearing and finally on to the shoulder of the axle. You don't rely on the bearings themselves to carry an axial load. It becomes a big sandwich.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I understand all that. Just wondering if anyone else is having same problem as you with the traxxas carriers. I've only read about HR carriers having this problem. I only used the bigger spacer of the two. Be honest in the pics of assembly it only shows one spacer
    So don't know what the smaller spacer goes. What about using both spacers. Guess you grinding away to keep it from rubbing problem solved

RC Qualifier
    I've read that the small spacers are supposed to be used on the shock shafts either internally or externally to limit suspension travel if you have binding.

Using both spacers between the bearings would create too much space between them and allow them to slide back and forth in the bearing carrier.
    Last edited by Magstang1; 11-02-2014 at 06:54 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's not a whole lot of limitation for a shock. And it'll go inside this allows shaft not to fully extend. It's like a mm spacer. Can get that by screwing the rod end more. It just sucks you asked for aluminum carriers we suggest traxxas and your having problems

RC Qualifier
    No problems man. My garage is full of tools. This was just a good reason to use some of them.

The whole goal of going to aluminum was to eliminate wheel wobble and get the slop out of the back end. The carriers helped but it's still there. The rod ends on the camber links are a little sloppy. For the amount of abuse they take it's amazing they're still in one piece. Anyone have experience with Lunsford links? No plastic ends to wallow out.

RC Qualifier
    Trenchers don't quite cut it in the snow. Sand paws are inbound.

Disappointing but good to hear since I was wondering whether trenchers would cut it for the winter. What kind of consistency is that snow?

RC Qualifier
    Soft powder. 4 inches in the grass and it gets hung up on the bottom of the chassis and just spins the tires. 1-2 inches was a blast. I could rip through the snow and grip on the grass underneath. Any more and you just can't keep the momentum.

RC Competitor
    FIrst off I wanna say hello, I'm new to the forum. Ok so I have so questions....This week I'm putting in a 1/8 Castle 2200kv so I'm prepaired to break some things. I've already ordered the steel drive shafts, and was wondering whatelse I should anticipate. From what I understand I should go with heavier wheels...17mm? Also does the motor require a different mounting plate? I know whatelse has to be done as far as grinding down to fit the motor but I was curious if the motor is just going to screw right in after I do all the other necessary mods. Anyway if there's any information anyone can give me as far as this project goes it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIGee76 View Post
    FIrst off I wanna say hello, I'm new to the forum. Ok so I have so questions....This week I'm putting in a 1/8 Castle 2200kv so I'm prepaired to break some things. I've already ordered the steel drive shafts, and was wondering whatelse I should anticipate. From what I understand I should go with heavier wheels...17mm? Also does the motor require a different mounting plate? I know whatelse has to be done as far as grinding down to fit the motor but I was curious if the motor is just going to screw right in after I do all the other necessary mods. Anyway if there's any information anyone can give me as far as this project goes it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Yes the motor plate will work just fine. If you don't have one yet. An aluminum motor mount to prevent chassis flex and heat. Also aluminum bearing adaptor revo slipper clutch is a good one xo1 diffs. And you can get the new proline 2.8 wheels with a 17mm hex

And another thing to make the drive train stronger is the tekno big bone center driveshaft so this with the others the guy's have mentioned would make it as bulletproof as possible.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Despite my best efforts, coupons and free shipping lured a few extra items into the cart. I usually run pretty hard on 3s so I decided to go ahead with an aluminum motor mount and bearing adapter along with the paddles.

Come on ups guy and then,

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Magstang1 View Post
    Despite my best efforts, coupons and free shipping lured a few extra items into the cart. I usually run pretty hard on 3s so I decided to go ahead with an aluminum motor mount and bearing adapter along with the paddles.

Come on ups guy and then,

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
    Awesome choice of quality products that helps you keep on trucking bro....peace

RC Qualifier
    Ups man came just in time. Guess I forgot to tell the wife about my early Christmas present for myself. Oops.

2 inches of snow coming tonight. Hopefully I'll have a report tomorrow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I
    Ups man came just in time. Guess I forgot to tell the wife about my early Christmas present for myself. Oops.

2 inches of snow coming tonight. Hopefully I'll have a report tomorrow.

I'd like to get a set of those tires for the snow. Please let us know how the perform

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Sorry guys. Mother Nature only gave me enough snow to tease me. The anticipation for the report will have to build a little more.

As a side note, paddles are sweet in the grass!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sorry guys. Mother Nature only gave me enough snow to tease me. The anticipation for the report will have to build a little more.

As a side note, paddles are sweet in the grass!
    That sounds like here in kansas. 90% chance of snow 5-7ibches and only get an 1" or enough to get the streets wet lol

RC Qualifier
    I'll be curious how you like them on all 4 corners. I've read that the steering suffers significantly because there is little in the way of lateral support so the tires just slide. Living in Alaska we have plenty of snow to play in. I run them in the rears only. It's significantly better then without paddles but of course it still has limits. Sometimes it just digs in a high centers. However if you have momentum and speed I'm amazed at how much snow this thing can plow through, or float over!

Have you messed with the Diff fluid yet? I hate it when the free tires spins and I'm stuck! I have 50K and 100K fluid en route so I'm curious how that will change things for me. Will probably start with 50K front and rear. Might go 100K rear. I know forclimbing I'd want 100K front but in the snow and with the sand paws in the rear I'm thinking it's more about pushing then pulling. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with 100K front and rear .

Looking forward to hearing about using Sand Paws x 4.

Last edited by IPT; 11-30-2014 at 05:12 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IPT View Post
    I'll be curious how you like them on all 4 corners. I've read that the steering suffers significantly because there is little in the way of lateral support so the tires just slide. Living in Alaska we have plenty of snow to play in. I run them in the rears only. It's significantly better then without paddles but of course it still has limits. Sometimes it just digs in a high centers. However if you have momentum and speed I'm amazed at how much snow this thing can plow through, or float over!

Have you messed with the Diff fluid yet? I hate it when the free tires spins and I'm stuck! I have 50K and 100K fluid en route so I'm curious how that will change things for me. Will probably start with 50K front and rear. Might go 100K rear. I know forclimbing I'd want 100K front but in the snow and with the sand paws in the rear I'm thinking it's more about pushing then pulling. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with 100K front and rear .

Looking forward to hearing about using Sand Paws x 4.

Yea I went from 40/30 to 60/100. man I wish it snow here

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Yea I went from 40/30 to 60/100. man I wish it snow here
    Is that front/rear?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IPT View Post
    Is that front/rear?
    Yep front60 rear100

Thicker diff oil will help get through that snow guy'sjust wish I had some snow to play in......peace

RC Qualifier
    The new rod ends on the rear end helped take out a lot of the wobble I was getting. I can hold the truck up in the air at about half throttle now and it doesn't sound like a wheel is going to snap off. The rod ends were stretched ever so slightly. Just enough to create some slop and allow the rear wheels to shake around. I guess these are just going to be a wear item that needs replaced every once in a while.

I'm thinking that the control arms probably need replacing too. I still have quite a bit of fore and aft movement in the wheels. The holes in the arms where they connect to the chassis are stretched. I know aluminum arms are generally considered best for show trucks but I really don't want to be replacing arms every couple months. Then again maybe they will last longer now that my crashing is less frequent.

The aluminum motor mount was not absolutely necessary but the bearing recess was starting to get a little beat up. Not necessary, but not wasted. Same with the bearing adapter. Probably a good investment but not necessarily required.

But it does dissipate heat and stops chassis flex and when using big brushless systems it keeps it all in check.trust me I found out the hard way...peace

RC Qualifier
    I don't feel bad about the mount or bearing adapter. From the looks of my old stuff it was getting ready to start wearing out pretty quickly.

So, replace the rear RPM arms with another set of the same or try something else?

Maybe try stock ones but boil before you replace dude it's worth a shot...peace

RC Qualifier
    After the record snow fall we had here last year, I'm awestruck that we aren't buried here yet. I haven't forgot about you guys. I'm still waiting for some snow. We still don't have any in the forecast for the next ten days either.

Come on now...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After the record snow fall we had here last year, I'm awestruck that we aren't buried here yet. I haven't forgot about you guys. I'm still waiting for some snow. We still don't have any in the forecast for the next ten days either.

Come on now...
    Lol same here they called for snow for last night. Well we got it but like an inch or so nothing big. I don't call that snow but more of a tease lol

Hey guys, Wanna come over to my place ? This is what I was doing 2 hrs ago:

Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioffroad View Post
    Hey guys, Wanna come over to my place ? This is what I was doing 2 hrs ago:

Mario
    Now that's what I'm talking about. I want some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by er33 View Post
    now that's what i'm talking about. I want some of that.
    lolololololol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow dude I wish we had snow like that hereawesome picture..peace

RC Qualifier
    I finally got a chance to run sand paws x4. I was running in about 6 inches of powder. Sadly the snow was so light that if you lost forward momentum you just high sided on the chassis and all 4 tires dug out. If the snow was slightly packed or a little heavier it was tons of fun. Wheelies and rooster tails galore. I would equate steering to driving a jet ski. You can turn the wheel but the driving momentum is what pulls the front end around with the throttle.

After a few passes were made across the lawn and a trail was cut, it was easily navigable and the street in front of the house that was knocked down from the passing cars was like a fantastic obstacle course. The pile from the plow truck was a walk in the park.

The bottom line is that this is a relatively small truck and powder is simply a killer. Pack it down a little or in slightly heavier snow, sand paws x4 is a blast and I can see no reason I wouldn't want them on all 4 corners. In fact I would have been stuck twice as much if I didn't have so much tread on the front. Pavement will make these short lived but it's well worth the investment even if they only last one winter.

Maybe as the consistency of snow I encounter changes, so will my opinion, but at this point the stampede needs every ounce of forward momentum it can get and big old flippers on the front doing the dog paddle sure outweigh the trenchers.

I'm glad I invested $50.

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    Looks like a blast

The Truck is looking sick dude and I would love it to snow like that in the UK but all we have is rain...peace

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man.

The stampede continues to put a smile on my face every time it comes out. This thing has taken a pounding literally from day one and keeps on truckin'. The repairs have been easy, parts plentiful and the upgrades have been fairly mild for as much abuse as it has handled.

On a cost to enjoyment basis, this one is way up there. There may be "better" trucks out there but I think this was a fantastic place to start and will probably end up in my sons hands when dad moves a bit farther up the food chain.

Thanks to Traxxas for providing a quality product and the support to keep it running day after day.

Great truck; how are you loving those MIP, bashed in the snow the other day with my slash 4x4, cannot beleive how fast the 4X4 fly on snow,had only ran the 2 wd pedes in the snow in the past and now really happy , stocked with the slash and erbe;
    I have seen another guy at a local track with his highly modified 4X4 pede, so much speed on the track and non stop flips with great landings.

Defintely would like to also build a 4X4 pede, my son does not want his 2wd any more.......after seeing your ride and some you tube videos, even more then ever
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    So far the MIPs have been flawless. Honestly I really don't think about them anymore. It's nice to have a durable, reliable product working how it should. No more worrying if I'm going to twist an axle shaft.

At the most, once in a while I give the truck a once over to make sure everything is moving like it should and put a few drops of dry film here and there.

I'm glad I started with the 4x4. Definitely more capable.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast