RC poster

Battery overcharging?

I have an 8.4v 5000mah and an 8.4 3000mah battery pack, and now both seem to overcharge whenever I plug them in. When I put the packs into my Slash the ESC flashes Red/ Green and the truck won't drive. I'm using a Traxxas EZ 4amp charger. Any idea what's causing this? Any possible fixes?

Will it steer?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    It will steer.

Try re programming your ESC, I don't know what that light code means... Is the reciver flashing anything?
    Two stroke smoke

RC poster
    My son and I are having the same problem with the stampede we bought yesterday, charged the battery that came with, with the charger in the box. We are getting the red/green blink happening. I did the digging and figured out that this means overcharge detected, what do we do now?

It seems like the ESC has LVD (Low Voltage Detection) enabled, which is normally indicated by a green LED on the ESC. You need to drain the battery a bit and then switch LVD off, normally indicated by a red LED on the ESC.

A simple way to drain the battery slightly is to use the steering servo. Just keep turning left-right-left-right...
    Alternatively, if your charger has a discharge function, you can do it that way.

Or, follow this how-to:
    How do I get an XL-5 or EVX-2 out of LVD?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

a buddy of mine just got a brushed 2wd stampede that has this speed control which i thought was weird because it has no heat sink on it. he had the same problem with voltage being too high with the stock 7 cell nimh. i made sure the LVD was disabled and i tried to wiggle the steering for a few minutes which didn't help. so i disconnected the motor bullet connectors and held them straight onto the battery to discharge it (with the wheels in the air), i had to let the motor run for almost 5 minutes to get the voltage low enough to actually drive the truck. so now every time we charge the battery, we have to discharge it for a few minutes just to drive the truck as this is the only battery he has. He even charged it and let it sit for a week, and it still showed the voltage too high. Why would it come with a 7 cell pack if this speed control can't handle it?

Battery overcharging?

It can handle the voltage. You need to disable the Low Voltage Detection on the ESC. The LVD is intended to protect the LiPo battery. By having the ESC in the wrong mode, you are tricking it into sensing it has an overcharged 2S LiPo connected rather than a fully charged 7-cell NiMH.

Now all y'all...go get some LiPos. Like chocolate or bacon, they make everything better.

Edited and corrected.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-22-2014 at 08:30 AM.

it is disabled. i plug the battery in and it flashes red/green and has steering but no throttle. i have to get the voltage lower to get it to stop blinking, then it runs like normal until the battery is all the way dead.

See the how-to link in post #6.
    Is the ESC LED green or red when the voltage decreases enough to run the truck? I hope you got that last bit wrong, because if it really is disabled, then you have a defective ESC.

i hope so too. next time i'm over there i'll double check and make sure it's really out of lvd mode.