Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Do you run 3s or 2s?

Is there any advantage to running 3s over 2s except for speed? Im getting a bit bored with my 2s even though i have it geared super low so thats probably why. Im just curious about how many of you guys run 3s over 2 and why.

3s and 4s with castle 1415 motor and a lot of upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    My castle sv3 3800kv combo ran cooler on 3s than 2s even with the same gearing. 11/54

RC Competitor
    oh forgot to add i might want to put a different motor combo but i do like how the velenion is water proof. From what im seeing castle is popular.

I run 2s with my 3800kv.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    is the castle 3800 kv popular with the stampede?

Yep. It is affordable powerful and runs on 2s well. The sidewinder esc is also popular because it is sold with the 3800kv motor.

Quote Originally Posted by kpla51 View Post
    Is there any advantage to running 3s over 2s except for speed?
    Getting to visit your LHS more often to buy repair parts.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

If you gear 3s to run at the same speed as 2s everything will run cooler apparently. 3s is usually faster too.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Getting to visit your LHS more often to buy repair parts.
    honestly ive been beating this thing on 2s for a while i ground all the screws holding on the skids to the point where i had to drill them out and the only broken parts have been bent shock shafts and one stripped spur. Im itching to buy parts for this lol. I might just be the lucky one with this tough of a stampede it should be broken by now.

Get the titanium shock shafts. No more bends for me!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Get the titanium shock shafts. No more bends for me!
    I threw on some power stokes i had laying around and no bending so far!

Can anyone explain why 3s would run cooler than a 2s?

It pulls less amps as long as it is geared to run the same speed as 2s with normal gearing. More amps means more heat.

RC Competitor
    It pulls less amps as long as it is geared to run the same speed as 2s with normal gearing. More amps means more heat.
    that makes sense. Im going to buy some 2.8 tires im running 2.2s so i don't have a baseline of gearing for 2.8s with 3s. I have a 3s 6500mah battery laying around i think i might throw it in since my temps are so low with my current gearing.

Do you have the stock tires? If so then they are already 2.8. I have tried 2.2 and they don't fit.

RC Competitor
    Do you have the stock tires? If so then they are already 2.8. I have tried 2.2 and they don't fit.
    never had stock tires since i built off a roller I'm using slash tires and rims which they say are 2.2 and 1.9 badlands but there the same size. I was running this since i was on a budget and ended up liking it but after wearing the tires bald i figured id buy a set of 2.8s and run 3s.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Slash tires are 2.2/ 3.0.

RC Competitor
    Slash tires are 2.2/ 3.0.
    ok thats what i though the badlands i have are 1.9s but are slightly bigger than the slash tires. Im going to order some trenchers and use that 3s pack i have. Dumb question but does the c rating on the pack affect temps? lets say i have a 30c and a 50c would the 50c run hotter?

C rating is mainly a marketing thing. Since there is no standard a 20c battery may be equivalent to another manufacturers 50c battery. Some companies take advantage of this. Like max amps their batteries are rated for 100c but people have found that the cells actually have 20c on them.

Basically for now you can disregard c ratings until they develop a standard.

RC Competitor
    Good to know Im definitely going to give the 3cell a shot with 2.8s what pinion should i start with if i keep the stock spur? i also just have the velenion system.

RC Qualifier
    Start with the stock 11t, and maybe go to 9t if temps are high. Pay close attention to your running temps. Gearing really depends on where you run. Everyones' driving and surroundings are different.

But with the stock set up I wouldn't go higher than 13t for general bashing running 2.8s using 3s. I have also run some 2.2/3.0 on high gearing for a bit of racing, but that was for a short time on a clay track...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Qualifier
    I've been bashing a mostly stock truck for 6 months or so on 2s with no issues. I just picked up a 3s and changed the stock talons out to Trenchers. It's a whole new truck. Much faster, more responsive, nimble... You can really make this thing dance on 3s. I added a ESC fan and a motor heat sink and fan. I doubt it will have much effect but for $30 it's cheap insurance.

I don't expect to cook the electronics in one pack but I also realize I'm at the limit of the stock components. If (when) it breaks, it's just an opportunity to make it more durable. I bought it to have fun so that's what I'm going to do.

Jam a 3s in there and go have some fun. Why replace stock stuff that still works? The Veleneon stuff isn't too shabby. Put some Castle stuff in when you cook the stock guts.

RC Competitor
    can i fit a 3s with the stock battery tray with just a taller post or do i have to get the other part that extends the part where the prongs go in? Did i make any sense haha?

RC Qualifier
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=55 This will fit no problem.

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=61
    This one also fits but you need to either get the battery tray expansion kit or just be creative and expand it your self with longer screws and some shims...
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 09-22-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Competitor
    my lhs has the expansion kit. Ill pick that up today and a fan or two to keep things cool.

RC Qualifier
    In my experience I ran the SV3/3800KV castle combo with a fan on both the ESC and the Motor (not that it NEEDED it) my motor had the 5mm shaft and the lowest pinion avaialable was an 11T so I ran it on 2s geared 11/54 on Proline trenchers and I got a top speed of about 40mph and the temps were 130 (esc) and 152 (motor), A local guy who runs a 124mph p4de told me that if i simply ran a 3s battery it would make the system run cooler because more volts causes less amp draw and blah blah blah....I didnt believe it, so he GAVE me a 4000mah 3s lipo and I tested it out in the same field runnin full throttle practically the whole time. I had a top speed of around 52mph and temps were 118(esc) and 138(motor)....I kid you not, the guy Preston on here that bought my truck can attest that it runs that cool when beat that hard.

By the way it was about 90 degrees out at 7pm for both runs
    Last edited by 4mikebruns; 09-23-2014 at 07:46 AM.

I would treat this statement with caution. Theorie tells: more Volt = less Amps and Amps is what generates heat but in the field things are different.

Eg:
    - The VXL-3s Combo runs much much hotter on 3s than on 2s.
    - Also my Castle 1415 2400kv Motor runs much hotter on 4s than on 3s.

RC Qualifier
    bear in mind a VXL system is not all that great from the get go, especially a 2 pole. and the gearing is will play a factor as always. 11/54 is just standard gearing but the SV3 and the 3800kv handles that a lot better than a VXL

RC Qualifier
    I think castle messed up and just put the same speal from their SV3 with the 4600kv, 5700, 7700 line up. the 3800kv has no issues on 3s.

RC Competitor
    ill probably just run the velenion till it gives up. I got it for a steal anyways and if it goes out if gives me a reason to buy the castle. Do they have a 3800 with a waterproof esc? I like playing in the street after it rains.

The Sidewinder 3800kv SCT Combo is waterproof dude. If you decide to run 3s on the VXL-3s System get a fan for the esc and and a heatsink with fan for the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Im about to be running the Sidewinder SCT waterproof and a 1406-4600kv in my mini summit tomorrow lol. Ive ran the Sidewinder in my past 4 vehicles and I love it

RC Competitor
    Sorry about that I could of looked that up. I might try and rig up a computer fan from radio shack since there only 2 bucks and move just as much air.

I run both 2-3s dude 2s for small jumps and outside the house and 3s for the crazy stuff and only about 30f difference...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    40 mph with stock gears, 3s and trenchers.

My 3s fits right in the tray with no modification.

RC Competitor
    well 5 mins with 3s and i broke one of the front a arms and my slash tire completely ripped off the rim. It was awesome though! gave me the opportunity to buy rpm parts.

Rpm a arms should take a bit more of a beating before they check out...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Arms are cheap. So are shock caps. Buy 4 of each because they're all the same. If you don't need them now, it probably won't be long before you do.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Agree rpm arms are good. All the damage lol I do to my truck. I haven't broke a rpm arm. Broke stock and the proline protrac arms but not rpm. I've bent it out of shape. But I read somewhere to just put it in boiling water form it back in shape and put it freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast