Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 76
  1. #1
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858

    truggy / backslash 4x4 conversion

    So I decided to convert my Stampede 4x4 to a Backslash 4x4, but while waiting for the Slash 4x4 chassis, I first converted it to a kind of truggy with 1/8 Buggy tires:

    First I made the wing mount:





    Then put on an new body, some 1/8 buggy tires and did some minor changes to the suspenion, to lower the truck.



    I choose some tires with some medium spike size and medium rubber compound. Grips very well on gravel and dirt.





    The car is now very responsive and handles very well. Handles a little bit like a downsized 1/8th buggy now.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-27-2014 at 02:24 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    719
    Looking good brother man! I have always liked the truggy look and have thought about transforming mine, but currently my hobby $$$ is being used for other rc projects. Currently it's a drifter....
    The message above or below may or may not be true

  3. #3
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Thanks Bro
    Not too expensive so far:
    Wing + Wing Mount: $14,-
    4 Buggy Tires: $ 30,-
    Body: $ 10,-

    Thats all I spent

    But Backslash Parts will cost me about $ 60 more.

    Chassis, Center Driveshaft + Cover, Receiver Box, Battery Hold down, 1/8 buggy body. It all adds up.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-27-2014 at 05:12 PM.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    45
    looks great, nice conversion.
    Stampede / Summit

  5. #5
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858

    Truggy conversion

    Went with 17 t pinion and 3s lipo today. Man this thing is fast and handles great at speed. Motor still my good old Castle 1415 2400kv. The buggy tires work really well on this setup.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-28-2014 at 11:12 AM.

  6. #6
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Had a stupid idea some minutes ago.



    My 2x2s Lipos that I usually use in my Brushless Summit fit the tray exactely

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Nice backslash dudejust got to love how many vehicles can be made out of this platform....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  8. #8
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Nice backslash dudejust got to love how many vehicles can be made out of this platform....peace
    Thanks dude, but it is still the stampede 4x4 chassis

    Slash 4x4 chassis should arrive the next days. My backslash Buggy will be run on 4s Lipo

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    I could tell by not having that much room in the chassis 4s it will fly...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Had a stupid idea some minutes ago.



    My 2x2s Lipos that I usually use in my Brushless Summit fit the tray exactely
    I have tried now 3 times to run 4s through the Hobbywing SC8 ESC, and it will beep 4 times, then you try to go and it cuts into LVC. Then it would work for a speed run or two but for some reason the ESC will randomly cut into LVC mode even in the middle of a pass. It gets very annoying and don't run 4s hardly ever because of it. I should of bucked up and bought a Castle ESC. If you do run the 4s let me know how it works for you...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

  11. #11
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    I have tried now 3 times to run 4s through the Hobbywing SC8 ESC, and it will beep 4 times, then you try to go and it cuts into LVC. Then it would work for a speed run or two but for some reason the ESC will randomly cut into LVC mode even in the middle of a pass. It gets very annoying and don't run 4s hardly ever because of it. I should of bucked up and bought a Castle ESC. If you do run the 4s let me know how it works for you...
    I am running 4s on the wp-sc8 for over a year no. no issues whatsoever. i am using this esc in my brushless summit too.

  12. #12
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    First 4s runs today. Man that is insane, but still very controllabe but just too fast.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Sounds like fun. Nice looking build you got going on there. Is your drag brake set higher to slow that fast beast down or still low

  14. #14
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Sounds like fun. Nice looking build you got going on there. Is your drag brake set higher to slow that fast beast down or still low
    No drag brake still set to Zero.

    Don't think I will be do much 4s running. 3s is enough. Today I found a good name for it: Pocket Rocket
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Yeah dude drag brake just helps the heat build up....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Yea drag brake does create heat. But I've noticed. I dunno bout sound master with brake off it takes awhile to stop a fast truck or as sound named his "pocket rocket" lol nice ring to it.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    You can just up the pre brake setting...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    You can just up the pre brake setting...peace
    Lol. Whicha setting is that one as you labeled it different. Let's see if I can remember off top my head. There's drag brake, brake force, oh crap can't member the last one now

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Lol. Whicha setting is that one as you labeled it different. Let's see if I can remember off top my head. There's drag brake, brake force, oh crap can't member the last one now
    Drag brake is what youre looking for, i have mine set at 20% just in case i lose contact with the truck it'll stop.

  20. #20
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    Drag brake is what youre looking for, i have mine set at 20% just in case i lose contact with the truck it'll stop.
    I only use drag brake on my Axial SCX10 Rubicon. Lol

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    Drag brake is what youre looking for, i have mine set at 20% just in case i lose contact with the truck it'll stop.
    Yea that one I mention it's initial brake force was the third one I was looking for. How's your temps with your stage brake set to 20%. Did you notice a difference in temps with it set to that compared to 0%

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Drag brake is evil and makes heat lol just adjust the the third one....peace dude
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  23. #23
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Final Result with an awesome body called shroud please:



    Body is still to come but package got lost.

    Handles very well by the way.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-01-2014 at 12:02 PM.

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Final Result with an awesome body called shroud please:



    Body is still to come but package got lost.

    Handles very well by the way.
    Nice. Looks like erevo

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Dude awesome work and can't wait to see the new body shell...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  26. #26
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude awesome work and can't wait to see the new body shell...peace
    You don't like my shroud pleaser body?

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Lol it's sweet dude have you had many more runs with it...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  28. #28
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Lol it's sweet dude have you had many more runs with it...peace
    Sure dude.

    Bashed again today on 3s. Great fun that vehicle is and handles nicely.

    That much dirt was trapped in the rear wheels. Lol



    But that shroud pleaser body really does an amazing job keeping that stuff out of the chassis.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-02-2014 at 06:40 PM.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Wow that's some dirt dude and I am glad the shroud is doing it's job....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  30. #30
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Wow that's some dirt dude and I am glad the shroud is doing it's job....peace
    This is what happens when drifting a lot through the dirt dude.

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post


    I would get that much when racing on the local clay oval track. It all adds up to alot of added rotating mass. I had to clean the wheels in between each heat.

    Check this link----> http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-for-a-contest!
    The message above or below may or may not be true

  32. #32
    RC Champion dgudenau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,176
    The truck looks great; I love the look of the body. What shell is that exactly, and what gearing are you running?
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

  33. #33
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    I would get that much when racing on the local clay oval track. It all adds up to alot of added rotating mass. I had to clean the wheels in between each heat.
    You are absolutely right about the rotating mass. Next time I will clean them in between each lipo pack.

    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    The truck looks great; I love the look of the body. What shell is that exactly, and what gearing are you running?
    This is the dusty motors shroud from my Summit. LOL
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-03-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: merge

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Would some proline dish wheels help out with the build up dude....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  35. #35
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Would some proline dish wheels help out with the build up dude....peace
    Don't think so. I think the dirt is not coming from the outside into the rims.

    By the way I just ordered the Sway Bar Kit and Losi 2" green (3.5lb) springs for the front and Losi 2,5" blue (4.0lb) for the rear to make the truck a little bit more race-able.

    Don't really know the spring rates of the stock stampede 4x4 springs, but I read something in another forum about 3.2 front and 3.5 rear.



    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-03-2014 at 03:52 PM.

  36. #36
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Here is my setup for tomorrow:




  37. #37
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    That's a mean looking truggy beast dude...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  38. #38
    RC Champion dgudenau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    You are absolutely right about the rotating mass. Next time I will clean them in between each lipo pack.



    This is the dusty motors shroud from my Summit. LOL
    I was referring to the picture in the first post, but the shroud also looks cool too.
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

  39. #39
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    I was referring to the picture in the first post, but the shroud also looks cool too.
    Ok dude. This is a body you would't get in the US.

  40. #40
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Ok the Setup with the Trenchers I didNt liked at all. In comparison to the Buggy Tires an unprecise and sluggish handling.

    Second 3s Lipo after a Monster Jump this happened:



    Standard issue but I got some of those in stock.

    Then this happened


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •