RC Racer

thinking about buying one. few questions.

First what would you value a slightly used one at.

And can they fly in light wind?
    It is good for a beginner?
    For its size is it agile?
    Any other info helpful?

RC Qualifier
    it really depends on how "slightly used" it is and how many flights the motors have on them? what condition is it in visually... signs of any crashes, scratches, nicks, cracks... things of that nature that may reveal how it has been treated? Buying anything used comes with risks, especially if you are buying from someone you don't know personally. it is really going to come down to how you "feel" about what you see and if you are willing to take the risk?

-light wind... absolutely! they don't do as well in the two accelerometer modes because they limit the pitch the quad will achieve, but the first two modes are for learning anyway, and you really don't want to try and learn to fly a quad in the wind unless you already have experience flying a quad. in expert mode, the game changes with wind. you have full control over its pitch angles and these quads will surprise you at just how much wind they can handle. I have flown mine in 15-20mph winds with absolutely no trouble whatsoever, but again, this is in expert mode.

-three flight modes to learn and grow with... yes, a perfect quad for a beginner.

-they are very agile and easily perform stunts as well as very decent speed for the size of their brushed motors. you can always upgrade to the MMW dark edition aftermarket motors, if you want more power, but the stock motors do quite well and are very well balanced.

if you decide on one, you will have a ton of fun with it. I would suggest getting an extra set of motors, blades, and drive gears to keep on hand, as well as a couple extra batteries. the parts are very inexpensive and crashes do happen. also keep in mind that because these are brushed motors, they don't last for ever. crashes under power can kill them very fast, so it is important to practice cutting the throttle when you know you cant recover or are about to plow it in to something .

hope this helps .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Racer
    Oh ok. The guy said two fights and wants 70.

RC Qualifier
    if he is being truthful... that is a really good price! a little more than 50% off and "should" be in like new condition providing he didn't slam or crash it in to anything during those two flights .

RC Competitor
    I agree with pretty much everything that spoonerrw says. I fly mine in some strong winds in fast mode (not the expert mode). I have the rates for roll and pitch turned up to 100% for that mode, and that allows me to easily fight strong winds, and since I am not in expert mode, I still have the stabilization of the gyros. In expert mode, you get complete control, and can make the quad do anything you want, but you lose that built in stability of the gyros, though I think one of the aux buttons can be programmed to be a "save my butt button" which will stabilize it if you get into trouble.

I have only been flying for a little over a month, and this is the only aircraft I have ever flown. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it, and is a lot of fun.

Extra parts are always good to have, and multiple batteries are a must I think. If you are anything like me, one 6 minute flight, and then wait for a recharge is not going to cut it. I have 4 batteries total, and that works well for me, though more would be nice.

They are very durable, but not indestructable. I lost one motor because I crashed (one of first few flights), couldn't find it, and hit the throttle hoping to hear it. The blade was stuck, and it burnt the motor out. And I broke the frame once by crashing hard into pavement. I haven't had a motor burn out yet. I probably flew 40 plus flights on set of stock motors before I bought the dark edition motors from micro motor warehouse. The stock motors were still performing just fine though. I just wanted the quieter nylon pinions, and a little more power.

Good luck!

RC Racer
    Nice ill have to find out.

Is there a better more UP gradeable one for around this price?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traznex View Post
    Is there a better more UP gradeable one for around this price?
    Quads this size don't really offer much in the way of being upgradeable other than little things like motors, a camera, light bar, or little gadgets like missile shooters or water squirters... simple stuff like that. Quads come in three basic forms... the beginner type like these, the build your own, and the high dollar, high end ones like the DJI or the Blade QX. you can buy clones of the Alias and other basic brands cheaper, but they just do not compare to the features that the Alias offers, and with the Alias, you have the added advantage of excellent customer service, parts available just about everywhere very inexpensive and very easy to replace, and the fact that these are darn near indestructible .

with the expert mode, the AUX1 button is preprogrammed to activate the self stabilization. the only time is does not operate for that purpose is when the camera is attached. basically... you get in to trouble in expert mode, you press and hold the AUX1 button and the quad will level itself from any orientation (including upside down) and when you release it, it goes back to expert flight mode.

what kind of upgradeability are you looking for?

RC Racer
    Just looking into options. But that's all great info.

i have fought 15mph winds with this thing no problem. it is a little unstable at leveling itself sometimes but it is still easy to fly.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it