Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Competitor

alias landing gear or skid

Heres a landing gear setup made from part of a Trex 450 set.I like the stance of this setup,kinda aggresive looking I think.The mounting holes in the landing gear line up perfectly with the alias mounting hole for the camera or led light so no drilling required.I machined some spacers out of delrin so it wouldnt crush the battery holder.the gear setup as seen weighs 14.9 grams.Flys great still does flips easily, piroettes etc. Handles better in the wind and flight time depending on how hard you fly was about 8 min.A major plus is if you land in the grass or crash in the grass right side up just hit the throttle and your launched without walking and picking it up or throwing it.working on a stainless steel set for my other alias that weighs about the same.http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898012 http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898011 http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898011

RC poster
    very, very cool

RC Competitor
    1 more time.
    Last edited by the realstig; 09-30-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wrong pic

RC Competitor
    The realstig that looks sick did u make that or bit it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
    The realstig that looks sick did u make that or bit it
    Hey brandyn,The landing gear are from an align trex 450 helicopter.I machined the struts a little bit to make them lighter.Have fun

RC Competitor
    finally figured it out oooops.
    Last edited by the realstig; 09-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Did you get to fly it, Did the flying behavior change?
    Tomasito

RC Competitor
    yes flew great,weighs less then the battery by a couple of grams.see my post above my pics that explains it all.Thanks
    Last edited by the realstig; 10-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    thanks,lets see if I can get the pics here without having to click a link. I'm learnin lol debating whether to cut the skids down shorter,The longer skids let it sit easier on top of the grass I would think.
    Last edited by the realstig; 09-30-2014 at 02:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    anybody else doing something like this or have a diff. approach to landing gear for the alias?

RC poster
    Hi, new to the forum. I grabbed some skids @ LHS and just taped them on. I have to find longer screws to attach camera,LED light,etc. to have them both @ the same time. I just posted some pics on the pic thread, but here is a closeup of the skids:

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]heres my latest creation.dont know which or if I'm going to use landing gear on this one .heres a few diff. shots and ideas.[IMG][URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/lakota6900/media/20141004_095241_zps71f33239.jpg.html] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by the realstig; 10-04-2014 at 12:18 PM.

RC Competitor
    I was bored today so heres something new .alight bar and landing gear. I think itlooks cool but to heavy.It flys but is slow to react to fast input controls and will not flip just wobbles a bit lol. so its more then likely[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] comin off after I fly it tonite .

RC poster
    That looks great. What metal are you using for the skid legs? Great idea to just screw them into the accessory screw holes.

RC Competitor
    the metal for the skid legs is stainless steel from half a heli. landing gear set

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Real, I'm not familiar with the Heli legs your using, I like them a lot, maybe even more than my own, how the weight?? and could you direct me as to where to find the legs and tubes.

RC Competitor
    Hi mike, The gear are from a align trex 450 heli. The yellow ones are made by gorilla gear,they make a standard set and a low set ,mine are from the low set.. I bought these years ago for my heli's and now there about 20 bucks with no tubes, the tubes are cheap.If ya split the set with a flyin buddy they wont be so bad.heres a ebay link for all kinds of trex 450 gear . http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...landing&crdt=0 Just do a search for trex 450 landing gear and skid tubes you should find them no problem. also dont get the 1 piece with the frt. and rear and skids all in one. my set weighs about 15.6 grams about the same as a battery

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys those both look great, here's my take on the Gear issue, used the 200Qx landing skids, was a bit more to do to make it work but it's solid. Wanted enough room for a Mobius as I just up graded to the MMW motors, plenty of power to lift it all now. Hope this picture attachment works.[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    great idea mike,definatly keeps it out of the grass which is always good.have fun

Ive seen video of an alias lifting a mobius on youtube. It was sluggish, and that was using rubber bands to attach it. Mobius plus a big landing gear? I hope those MMW motors are brushless.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Enthusiast
    I think the Utube vid you saw was Flyin" Ryan, he says his stock bird flew without issue. The motors I'm referring to are Micro Motors from Australia and a great deal stronger than stock, guess we'll see, I'll stick to grass flying' for now for the test. My gear are very, very light with no change in the Alias's flying, but just lost two motors after a month of solid flying daily, so can't complain, so time for the new motors, I'll post once I've flown a few times.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Noir, well new motors are in and kicking A.., much faster, hit the throttle from the start and ZOOOOOMMMMM up, up, flying time seems to be pretty much the same.

I did do a breakin for 2-3 full batteries at no more than 1/2 throttle per the factories suggestion, now, whoa, fun! and these are only the 15's, there's Blacks that are the 17's and now I understand there are 19's, OMG
    To new to expect to much, Fly, Fly, Fly

RC Competitor
    Hey mike, yeah my skids were just attempts keep it out of the grass.very interested to see yur finished alias sounds very cool. also where did you hear about the 19 motors? I was just on mmw and couldn't find them . i use the 17's and love em Later steve

RC Enthusiast
    HI Steve, HUMMMMMM, can't remember, let me look around, might be another regular here name Spoonerrc?? I think, he's the one who made the shorter mod using the erasers and tread covers.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Steve, YES, it was spoonerrw who mentioned the 19k's, email Benedikt on the MMW site, he's really great at getting back. I've touched base with him on a couple of things, usually takes about a dayish for his return email.

Ok. My camera is mounted on the bottom and smacked the ground with each landing.

Ouch

So a landing gear was in order

Had to be light. Landing gear plus camera will turn your soaring eagle into a flopping turkey

SIMPLE QUICK AND INEXPENSIVE
    1) wire coat hanger
    2) 3 mini zip ties
    4) 4 pencil erasers

Wire coat hanger

Angled around the battery section, and zip tied on. I drilled a small hole in the rear for the rear zip tie

Add pencil erasers for the bling effect ( will probably delete later to save the weight.

Minor stand and level adjustments and VOILA. Not as strong as a purchased heli landing gear, but cheap fast and light.

THERE IS NO BOX
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-19-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    hey noir,cool idea. Cheap and easy is always good esp. when it works well also lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Real, can't tell which are tall or short by the pics in the link you sent me. If you look at the link, I'm the one bidder on the ones from Chinam (2pr for .$99)...... but further down the page theres a set that look a bit beefier from Walkera-esky, are those the taller ones?? need room for the Mobius and these look more stable for grass landings??

Thanks for getting back, where are you located in the States,

Mike

RC Competitor
    hey mike, I didnt find the one you bid on .you can probably adapt alot of others to work but what I did was simple and no drilling or adapting ,they screwed right on to the alias with some longer screws.heres a link to the low gorilla gear one(keeps the extra weight closer to the alias) I'm using .very pricey nowdays though.if I had to buy them today I would prob. use the standard height ones (much cheaper) http://www.helidirect.com/gorilla-ge...le-p-18446.hdx remember I didnt use the one peice ones with gear and skids altogether. and Im in colorado. I will be posting some other ideas I've been working on to keep the alias out of the grass and not weigh as much. have fun. stig

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Stig,

Actually I won the bid for the gear, the 450 ones, HAHA, $.99 for two pair, one anodized green the other anodized Gold, the skids so I think $6.50 out the door and 3 weeks of waiting, oh well I'm learning patience, not necessarily one of my Virtues.

I like the one's that Spoonerrw has done as well, using the erasers and a thread covers, really clean, perhaps using some solid rubber rod of some sort, as I believe they, Trazzas, was thinking that hard landings on the little rubber feet was part of the failing motor issue??.

Although, your legs look to be metal?? yes, and the ones I've won for cheap are plastic, (ah oh, maybe I got the Gorilla ones) oh well, will send photos when finished with complete mod, just up graded to MMW motors, (15's) hope they end up being OK, plus doing a RED on Black theme sorta, I put it all together with the "Black" Chrome main frame and having the body H20 Hydro dipped in Carbon fibre, then do some paint work as well, can't wait to see how it looks, just the Black Chrome is so sweet.

Looking forward to see what else you come up with, gear wise.

By the way, what's your name, if I may ask, I'm obviously Mike, LOL

Mike

RC Competitor
    Hi mike, Nice to meet ya Im steve.Ive actually had good luck ebayin from china ,about a week to 10 days with some sellers...so far.Sounds like the one yur buildin is gonna look very cool.Ive got an extra black chrome and a white frame just debating what to do with them,real interested in your h2o carbon fiber dip too.Ive seen some other things done that way and they looked really great. After trying the dark edition mmw motors thats all I use now .Im going to try to get some shots of my other landing or skid ideas tonight ..nuts I just had another idea for landing gear or at least a way to raise the alias out of the grass without adding to much weight Gawd I think Im addicted to this lol,well see what happens or if I doze off in frt. of the tube instead lol. later, steve

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Steve, nice to meet you as well. Looking forward to seeing what your Frankinquad mind comes up with.

Hope the guy that doing my dip calls tonight. Oh, if your interested, there's a company in Texas that does kits for at home dipping, tho you only get one square meter of one dipping design. The kits I think is $70 dollars, but possibly could buy some material from this local guy for some other designs, kinda like to do my black frame from current mod, in a Zebra design, then trying some "Chrome" wrapping material on all or part of my extra body?? Then something BRIGHT as an accent, hmmmm?? gotta get the first one done first...LOL.

Post some ideas

RC Competitor
    Frankenquad I like that lol .heres a few ideas I've been dinkin around with to keep the alias out of the grass.1st one is orange acrylic discs mounted to each landing pad with 1 small screw. [IMG][/IMG] thinner plastic would be lighter but thats all I had. the next one's long acrylic flat landing skids clear and black. a square one thats clear and kinda boring. and my favorite .060 thick acrylic that is mirrored on the top surface.it reflects the sun in certain positions and reflects the alias lights in low light. the long ones work better in the grass then the round or square ones.weight is of course dependit on the size and thickness. mirrored was 8.2 grams a pair ,the black 16g. almost the same as a battery.the round .120 thick orange 20 g. thats heavier then my original trex 450 heli. gear and skids that I did first.the 1/2 inch wide clear is 13.1g.and worked good .I made a pair of 1/4 inch wide full length and they were 7.6g and worked good.Hmmmm I might try machining some slots in the colored alias lenses to put some acrylic legs into so the lights will light them up too and raise the alias higher. I know ... a little twisted lol .Interesting about the dipping kits ,I think there's a company here doing that too. Gonna have to ck it out.have fun.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Steve, interesting ideas, tho for me I'm interested in height, as still intend to hang my Mobius. The acrylic legs might be cool, perhaps then put the stock rubber feet on the ends of the acrylic, as acrylic is very brittle, can't remember of Lexan has rod.

Had the Alias body Carbon Fiber dipped tonight.....whoa, too cool, now for the Candy Red rear end. For now I'm going to use the new, (I just picked up, coulkdn't wait for china...LOL) 450 legs, like yours, they are white nylon (the legs) so should DYE good, so they'll be Red, then try to polish the skids, I'm also thinking of drilling some holes in the legs to lighten, plus may look pretty interesting too. Oh, the place in Texas is called, mydipkit, so goggle the name plus (.com), that should do it.

Had a great chat tonight with the guy that dips here and he's willing to sell me the dip material, plus the activator so could try at home. Once dipped, can shoot any clear coat to seal then add paint if one wishes. I'm clear coating tomorrow, then next week the Candy color as that is two stage, Silver undercoat then the Translucent Red over coat......we'll see.

If there is a guy there, be ready to spend about $50.00, that's what this guy would normally charge, talk about crazy, but I was surprised by the preprep, then undercoat, then the actual Dip, it does take some time......for a little 4" X 6" body??....but gotta customize, must "out do" Benedikt, MMW motor guy....LOL ( have you seen his "Ultimate Alias) on utube, Chrome body with Candy Orange front with Chrome windows, does look cool.

Well, getting time for the rack, later

RC Competitor
    hey mike,ya might try grinding and sanding the inside of the landing gear to lighten them ,I did that on one set and it did help

Double post
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-24-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: double post
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Ok Mike due to your experience I have loaded a set of dark motors in my cart. Although my stocks are still running strong I would not mind a lil more umph for flying with my camera and gear.

Can 9mm pinions fit on an alias? I dont see any adjustable parts, so I kinda doubt it.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Hi MIke,I might try the holes in the gear too,simpler then trying to grind and sand them thinner.I emailed benidikt fri. and asked, lets see what happens .I hope they do come out with 19's ,the 17's are great and the 19's? rocket powered lol morrrrre powwwwwwer. I made the spacers at work we have a little machine shop there that I work in .no cnc just the old style equip.and ya gave me an idea for higher spacers in place of the rubber feet, have to see if it will work hmmmmm.if ya can do some pics of your paint in steps so we have a better idea of whats involved and what each layer looks like if possible.later ,steve

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Steve, cool, I'm applying the Candy Red undercoat today so will shoot more photos.

Be interesting about the 19's, also have your 17s been lasting, I've heard they, the 15;s and 17, don't even last as long as stock, ?? flew this A.M. and got about an 11mn flight time on my 15's, but they are new, r u getting similar times??

Mike

RC Competitor
    Hey mike, Ive actually had pretty good luck with the 17's, its all I use anymore. I do have one set of stock ones in 1 quad.that traxxas gave me and they're not near as much fun to me as the 17's in my other one.I think the life of the motors may have a lot to do with crashing and not throttling down in time or trying to spin them up after landing in the grass(per traxxas). it burns those tiny little brushes up real easy (they're not like the normal brushes in a larger motor they're more like tiny contacts ). I also called traxxas about breakin and they said with a normal brushed motor yes break it in .with these little motors run as hard as ya want new, so that's what I do.Im not the best flyer so my flight time varies depending on how many flips etc. I can do lol. just cruising about 14 min. Keep the prop side up ,Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast