Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    hey mike,if breakin worked for you I guess I better try it then, who knows it couldnt hurt.I'm going to machine slots in my orig.low profile landing gear strut to lighten them .I'll weigh them before and after to see how much I can save.To bad about the paint ,I know the feeling. I just threw 1 canopy away because I didnt like the finshed paint.I'm glad theyre cheap cause it probably wont be the last one I do that doesnt meet my expectations lol. later,steve

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Steve, I actually just painted over the candy color with a Bright Red solid, and it actually looks better as it matches the props better, so painted the legs the same Red as well as the little plugs that go inside the front of skids, there kinda a Black Chrome color. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow, tho now I want to dip the black, back props in the carbon......this is gettin' crazy, LOL, I think next week I'm going to get the dipping stuff from the guys doing it here local and try it myself. By the way, do you balance your props?? and if so, how, given how small the holes are where the little screws go. I just balanced the ones on my V262, a notable difference in the noise that particular quad makes which should mean less vibration.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but believe I have found a Company in L.A called ALSA CORP that makes a tru Chrome Rattle can paint, it's gawd awful expensive, the Kit is $129.00, that's for a 3 can kit, Gloss Black undercoat, the Chrome and a Can of Clear coat which can then be painted over with Candies, etc, which doesn't necessarily need to be there paint. I need to go up north next week, so thinking of stopping by to check this stuff out, see if it's real.

Well hope your week has started well, have a good one, Mike
    To new to expect to much, Fly, Fly, Fly

RC Enthusiast
    Here she is, I also posted an additional shot in the Pictures thread, a view of her rear. [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Hey mike ,I tried to post some pics to your pm but it said yur file was to full.So heres a few pics .the acrylic legs are machined to fit the light lense ,these are about 7/8 " and glued on some clear silicone feet.They can be made any length. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] I also machined the other gear to lighten them and it saved about 30% in weight. at least on the black ones ,the yellow not so much [IMG][URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/lakota6900/media/20141123_152541_zpsdbaab5ab.jpg.html] [IMG][/IMG] Later ,Steve
    Last edited by the realstig; 11-23-2014 at 05:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Steve, wow, haven't hard from you for some time, glad to say hi.

Yeah the legs look good, started to do some chopin' on mine as well, but
    look a bit rougher than your, using a Dremel tool by hand, getting there tho.

I bought a Phantom 2 and have been flyin' that a lot. Have a Mobius hanging
    from it and getting better at Video, so now working on a custom vibration mount
    for it so I can use my JVC Addiction2 to further improve the video quality.

The Clear feet look cool, how do they handle a rough landing.

I've been using the 1/4 X 5/16 thread covers with a a filler of 1/4" lawn Drip system tubing, then inside of the drip system tubing I found that a little piece of some Rubber twist ties I found at the sporting goods store fit perfectly into the little hole that the original feet fit into. So by putting a little CA around the smallest piece of rubber tie material keeps them in pretty good even when crashing. For shorter feet I'm using the end pieces that are sold for covering the ends of the white wire shelf systems that are sold at Home Depot, I fill them with the same stuff I use for the longer feet. Then I color the feet, once in place, with a Sharpies,

I'll post pictures shortly.

Hope your not getting to much snow, Man the rest of the country is getting hammered. Just talked with Rob (Spoonerrw) the guy that came up with the feet idea originally, he's stuck indoors. I told him he needs one of those Micro Minis...LOL

I cleaned my PM out so you can send stuff there if you like.

Later,

Mike

RC poster
    I came up with this idea for some landing gear for the camera. I didnt install the camera yet. Sorry pics are sorta blurry.
    I have some spongy sticky pads for the underneath but didnt get to install them yet. They should allow for a softer landing that how it is currently. They're the softest out of all the rest that came in the packet. One of em has to work well. lol!

Last edited by spiderx; 11-27-2014 at 02:00 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Steve,

I'll tell you this, after flying my Alias or V262 the Phantom is child's play, jeez, maybe should have started with the Phantom although, knowing how to fly without all the cool goodies under the hood, LOL, has helped my flying, more steady.

Mounted my Mobius on the P2 for now and made a Jello illiminator from a utube vid I saw, it works pretty good, great color. Waiting for a Vibration dampener for a GoPro, where I'll do a little Mod using a stock piece that Mobius sells and I'll be able to mount my JVC Adixxion 2 on the Phantom then my video should improve.

Our weather has been "to good", supposed to be mid 80's tomorrow, but were meant to get some good rain next week early. Gawd do we need it!!!!!

Hmmmm, not sure what I'd go to next for a larger format that does all the 3D sport flying. Seems the Blade 350 is more of a Sport flyer and I think it's one of the better ones..

Traxxas needs to do a next generation, maybe a little larger 250 size with Brushless, as they are being knocked off on a regular basis. Some of the Ko's fly pretty good according to the tests I've read. I believe if they (Traxxas) would do a "Nex Gen", especially if it's as good looking as the LaTrax, WOW. R U Listening Traxxas.

WEll time for bed, long day tomorrow, lots to "OVER EAT" LOL

I'll post some pics showing the 3 faces of my Alias, with her different legs, your 450 legs look good I'm jealous, must be nice to have a real tool shop to help things look professional.

Later Dude

RC Enthusiast
    Interesting looking extensions Spidee, but don't expect to much from the camera, Traxxas really didn't do there homework with how the camera mounts, jello no matter what, to help BALANCE you props and get the wide angle lens if you haven't already, that helps too.

Hav a good Turkey day.

Mike

RC poster
    Thanks mikea324. Any diy fixes for the jello effect? Just starting out & narrowed it down to this one. Hope I made a good choice on a starter quad. Out of all the research Ive done they all seemed to have some kinda quirks about em. I didnt care for the brush motors but figured for a starter it would be best. Didnt have the coin for what I read was a better more stable quad plus the radio. EEEK!
    Hope you had a Great Thanksgiving.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderx View Post
    Thanks mikea324. Any diy fixes for the jello effect? Just starting out & narrowed it down to this one. Hope I made a good choice on a starter quad. Out of all the research Ive done they all seemed to have some kinda quirks about em. I didnt care for the brush motors but figured for a starter it would be best. Didnt have the coin for what I read was a better more stable quad plus the radio. EEEK!
    Hope you had a Great Thanksgiving.
    this is definitely a good choice for a starter. parts are cheap, easy to work on, they fly fantastic, three modes to help you learn and grow, and I can personally vouch for their durability. I have done just about everything imaginable to mine, and they have yet to fail me, or suffer any damage I could fix in a few minutes. I haven't even experienced the dreaded "motor early failure"... not once. I have replaced those motors, but not after many, many flights and I have first run motors back in two of them. the third one has the 959 motors.

the camera and the jello... there really isn't anything you can do mechanically to correct this. I have tried many alternatives to solve this but the truth is that it is attached to the quad in a way that makes it a "hard mount". the key to this camera is very simple. slow controlled movements on the sticks, good lighting, and no wind. I have been able to create some excellent videos with little to no jello under these conditions. the Alias with the camera is the only one I fly in either beginner or exp1 mode with tamed settings. the accelerometers help to keep the quad level in order to make slow and careful turns as well as keeping it level as I move from one location to another. the only way I can think of is to remove the plug from its housing, create a mount that the camera can be attached to independently with some form of of anti-shock layer between it, but I have yet to come up with an idea that I was happy with. been too busy with my 130x to give it anymore thought, but it will do a decent job as long as you keep it controlled and in the proper conditions .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Spiderx,

If you've read Spoonerrw's notes, he knows, an I'm no electronics wiz, with regard to removing the plug, but, I to, have tried a few things with some neoprene, etc, same-o same-o.

I do have a friend that's and electronics guy, so maybe he'll be more comfortable with making a few mods on the plug. If I am able, see the legs that "Realstig" came up with, there from a Alien 450 Heli, not expensive and mod a set for your bird, so if changing the camera plus is in our futures, we'll, you'll, need the room to hang the camera.

Turkey Day was "TO GOOD", still trying to work off the Gorging, LOL

later,

Mike

RC poster
    this is definitely a good choice for a starter. parts are cheap, easy to work on, they fly fantastic, three modes to help you learn and grow, and I can personally vouch for their durability. I have done just about everything imaginable to mine, and they have yet to fail me, or suffer any damage I could fix in a few minutes. I haven't even experienced the dreaded "motor early failure"... not once. I have replaced those motors, but not after many, many flights and I have first run motors back in two of them. the third one has the 959 motors.

the camera and the jello... there really isn't anything you can do mechanically to correct this. I have tried many alternatives to solve this but the truth is that it is attached to the quad in a way that makes it a "hard mount". the key to this camera is very simple. slow controlled movements on the sticks, good lighting, and no wind. I have been able to create some excellent videos with little to no jello under these conditions. the Alias with the camera is the only one I fly in either beginner or exp1 mode with tamed settings. the accelerometers help to keep the quad level in order to make slow and careful turns as well as keeping it level as I move from one location to another. the only way I can think of is to remove the plug from its housing, create a mount that the camera can be attached to independently with some form of of anti-shock layer between it, but I have yet to come up with an idea that I was happy with. been too busy with my 130x to give it anymore thought, but it will do a decent job as long as you keep it controlled and in the proper conditions .
    Thanks spoonerrw at least I know I did some research and picked a decent starter. I feel better now. Youtube & the forums here helped alot in deciding which to pick too. Thanks for the all the tips. I havent tried it out yet. Still messing with those added legs that I did to it.

Hi Spiderx,

If you've read Spoonerrw's notes, he knows, an I'm no electronics wiz, with regard to removing the plug, but, I to, have tried a few things with some neoprene, etc, same-o same-o.

I do have a friend that's and electronics guy, so maybe he'll be more comfortable with making a few mods on the plug. If I am able, see the legs that "Realstig" came up with, there from a Alien 450 Heli, not expensive and mod a set for your bird, so if changing the camera plus is in our futures, we'll, you'll, need the room to hang the camera.

Turkey Day was "TO GOOD", still trying to work off the Gorging, LOL

later,

Mike
    Thanks Mike. Ill have a look at Realstig landing gear. Gonna try what I thought of as well. I have some time put into it and like to see what it does. lol! Glad your Thanksgiving went well. Yea that is the hard part, working it off. :/ Hope it goes well of ya.

RC Competitor
    The realstig that looks sick did u make that or bit it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
    The realstig that looks sick did u make that or bit it
    Hey brandyn,The landing gear are from an align trex 450 helicopter.I machined the struts a little bit to make them lighter.Have fun

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by the realstig View Post
    Heres a landing gear setup made from part of a Trex 450 set.I like the stance of this setup,kinda aggresive looking I think.The mounting holes in the landing gear line up perfectly with the alias mounting hole for the camera or led light so no drilling required.I machined some spacers out of delrin so it wouldnt crush the battery holder.the gear setup as seen weighs 14.9 grams.Flys great still does flips easily, piroettes etc. Handles better in the wind and flight time depending on how hard you fly was about 8 min.A major plus is if you land in the grass or crash in the grass right side up just hit the throttle and your launched without walking and picking it up or throwing it.working on a stainless steel set for my other alias that weighs about the same.http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898012 http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898011 http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...&1412048898011

So where do you get longer screws so I could mount the camera or light bar, along with the landing gear? and where did you buy that landing gear, looks simple and nice.

RC Competitor
    The landing gear you can find on ebay or any website that sells align trex 450 stuff.The screws I had all ready from a small metric screw supplier online.you might get lucky and try an ace hardware store for those also.have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12