EZ-Peak Plus 4-amp NiMH/LiPo Fast Charger with iDô Auto Battery Identification

Go here to see the newest Traxxas charger!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Does this mean the standard TRX connector is going away?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

I'm not sure how that would be possible if Traxxas continues to market NiMH packs.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Traxxas Employee
    Both NiMh packs and Lipo batteries will be getting the new iD plug. Traxxas will continue to support what is now being referred to as the "Legacy Plug". The new iD plug IS backwards compatible, so the charger will work with Legacy plugs and does have a balance port for non iD batteries with a Legacy plug and standard balance plug. The iD batteries will also plug into any of our speed controls with Legacy plugs. The difference is that the NON iD batteries will not be recognized by the new charger and you will have to manually set the charge rate instead of it auto-detecting. Hope this answered some questions.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 10-10-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Is there a built in balance board for non Id Lipos?
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Go here to see the newest Traxxas charger!

Releasing the ID device with only 4 amps of power seems odd. Traxxas already has a 6 amp charger; why not make an ID version of that? 4 amps is very low in this day and age.

how does the charger identify the pack capacity?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

It doesn't.... nor does it need to. Packs are charged according to voltage, not capacity.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by blurrdvision View Post
    Both NiMh packs and Lipo batteries will be getting the new iD plug. Traxxas will continue to support what is now being referred to as the "Legacy Plug". The new iD plug IS backwards compatible, so the charger will work with Legacy plugs and does have a balance port for non iD batteries with a Legacy plug and standard balance plug. The iD batteries will also plug into any of our speed controls with Legacy plugs. The difference is that the NON iD batteries will not be recognized by the new charger and you will have to manually set the charge rate instead of it auto-detecting. Hope this answered some questions.
    This definitely answered my question. It is possible to buy a 2014 model with legacy battery and buy additional ID batteries and the 2970 EZ charger - and everything will work fine. no adapter needed, and no hassle.
    correct?

this also means I can buy a separate 12 V ID charger, charge new ID batteries and have them for spare with me while driving outdoors and have my family-car with me.
    correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    how does the charger identify the pack capacity?
    Are you thinking how does it tell the difference between a 2s 2200mAh and a 2s 10000mAh?.

I think traxxas packs can be charged at 2C and the power of the charger limits the charge rate that is within it's charge specs for the lowest pack size. This leaves it safe for any other traxxas pack.
    If the charger was very powerful, say 1000Watts but still had the max charge rate at 4A it would still be limited within the 2C charge rate of the 2200mAh battery at 4A.
    Making this a perfect match for people starting off with lipo's.

With nimhs telling the difference between the 1200mAh and 4200mAh 6cell the charger will get some feedback from the battery giving it the suitable charge rate.
    I think thats how nimh chargers work, it's quite technical.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Are you thinking how does it tell the difference between a 2s 2200mAh and a 2s 10000mAh?.

I think traxxas packs can be charged at 2C and the power of the charger limits the charge rate that is within it's charge specs for the lowest pack size. This leaves it safe for any other traxxas pack.
    If the charger was very powerful, say 1000Watts but still had the max charge rate at 4A it would still be limited within the 2C charge rate of the 2200mAh battery at 4A.
    Making this a perfect match for people starting off with lipo's.
    I have a Traxxas 5000 mah 2S battery. With the new 4A charger I can't charge it at 1C. I'd need 10A to charge it at 2C. I think Traxxas needs a higher end charger, or should have released the new chargers with 6A (so I'd get at least 1C on the battery.... 5000 mah is pretty common) -- and for 3S the "C" charge rating is lower/slower.

Quote Originally Posted by dclive View Post
    I have a Traxxas 5000 mah 2S battery. With the new 4A charger I can't charge it at 1C. I'd need 10A to charge it at 2C. I think Traxxas needs a higher end charger, or should have released the new chargers with 6A (so I'd get at least 1C on the battery.... 5000 mah is pretty common) -- and for 3S the "C" charge rating is lower/slower.
    No you can't charge at 1C It's a 4Amp charger, Even if it was 10Amps, 40Watts won't cut it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    No you can't charge at 1C It's a 4Amp charger, Even if it was 10Amps, 40Watts won't cut it.
    Agreed - that is my point. I'm wondering why Traxxas' first ID charger is weaker than their existing 6 amp charger.

It's a very safe option.

RC Qualifier
    the reason that they didnt just make their 6 amp charger ID compatible is because they dont make the 6 amp charger. It is a chinese product that has been rebadged with traxxas logos just like the qr-1.

RC Racer
    And they do make a unique and internal-only 4 amp charger? The obvious question, with Traxxas volume, is why they had a 4 amp low power model designed and manufactured rather than going thru the same effort for a 6 amp higher power model.

RC poster
    There is 'storage', 'fast', and 'balance' charge on this EZ-Peak Plus charger. Should I use 'FAST charge' to charge a dead lipo battery or 'BALANCE charge' to charge the dead lipo battery? How do I know when the first cell is fully charged and needed to balance it?

RC poster
    I hope Traxxas is working to offer a multi port multi chemistry AC/DC charger with ID connector

ALWAYS balance charge a LiPo battery. Doing this only adds moments of time to the charge and will result in a much safer RC experience. Once you set up the charger, it will notify you when it is done... no need to figure out when to balance, the charger does that for you.

RC Enthusiast
    I am a new bee,I have this charger 6 amp ez charge ac/dc charger it does all the thinking for you. I have the adapter/ connected that has a balance board from their it plugs into the id battery. I as well have the splitter where I can charge 2 batterys at the same time.
    next step on the charger /first pick battery type, next what you want to do: balance,charge storage, ect ect.next you adjust amps for your battery charge / next it will tell you how many cells are in the battery has and shall pick the proper choice then, u have check info from charger and see it matched your battery. press start.
    REMBER TO ALWAYS USE A LIPO CHARGING BAG . the charger will beep when finished and flash full charge for a bit then if you come after the blinking stops the charger will display 00 amps on the charger.
    a piece of cake even for a old person.