RC Enthusiast

1/16 summit breaks 1 more / 4 sale

Been melting spurs, slipper wouldnt stay tight. bought robinson racing slipper with metal gear. thats good but now it is back to breakin gears in the rear again. put limited slip gear in main trans. still stripped rear gear.All metal drive lines. Im about done with this money pit . Any last suggestions ?

What are you running? 3s, series connector, or big block? Maybe you are asking too much of your little truck.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by fleegle View Post
    Any last suggestions ?
    Sometimes you just have to step away for a few days/weeks/whatever and come back with a better mindset. There have been many times over the years that I have been in this hobby when I've had to put everything away and come back at a later time with a clear head.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    1 3s batt. no big block. Last stripped gear was on 2s. I dont really drive hard. no jumps ,but most is on pavement. I also have a modified 1/10 hpi drifter that I have run in the 70 mph range. I dont think im asking too much of this truck i hope ... I hopr im not wrong. It seems like alot of u love this thing. Still looking for support

RC Champion
    Did you shim your diffs, because that makes a HUGE difference on the lifespan of your diffs.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

3s is pushing it pretty hard, however alot do it. I run two 2s in parallel. I get great run times. I have had my summit for over 2 years, and never stripped a spur. I broke a few summit shafts, and have only broke one merv shaft. What gearing are you running, that could be a problem. On 3s, you should be geared down from stock. Which is a 16t pinion. I have geared up to an 18t on 2s, plenty fast for me, and will still pull wheelies on demand. I also know, as mentioned, you must shim your diffs, very important, even more so on 3s. I think my rear diff made about an hour of run time new, before it went away. Like I said though 3s is pretty rough on these little guys. I hope you get it figured out, this is a very fun platform.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    The traxxas center diff helps massively. I run mine with 500,000wt oil and havent done a diff or shaft since and that was 3 years ago. I run a 4000kv big block on mainly 2s with some 3s and big rims and nothing breaks. You may loose very slightly on the acceleration but not enough to notice and the wheelies are still there. 3years on the stock drivetrain isnt bad. I was breaking shafts and stripping diffs regular.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Ive done all that ,my gearing seem good cnt diff. and all . thanx for all info .still listening to all. Ill just keep tryin

RC Qualifier
    After I put a center diff in I've had almost no problems. But I'm on 2s only. MERV drive shafts is really all you need. Metal drivelines and driveshafts are not necessary and only add weight to rotational mass. Once you got RPM arms and aluminum or RPM knuckles, center diff, shimmed diffs. These are pretty tough. The only thing that my kids break regularly is steering assemblies. The aluminum steering assemblies suck. So I keep a couple stock boiled on hand, other than that....
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Competitor
    Shimming really does make a big difference on the differentials. Also, we found keeping the slipper clutch loose helped a bunch, particularly with breaking shafts. We run some monster tires and it's geared way down with a crawler big block so it has massive torque.