RC Champion

Signs of the times?

I think the inactive nature of this section shows how the RC community is moving away from nitro powered models.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Sadly, yes. Electric is becoming even more powerful and efficient and nitro is still the same nitro.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Still love mine. I actually traded all my electric models for nitro. recently picked up my second Jato, second Tmaxx and a Revo 3.3. The problem is that people do not want to take the time and understand how a nitro engine works or how to tune properly. Just simple plug and play of electric is fun and convenient, you cannot beat the roar of a nitro engine or the smell of the fumes. I find that wrenching on RC cars to be relaxing and just as enjoyable as running them. I also get great satisfaction out of the finished product when it's screaming down the road and I tell people that I "built" that !
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    I would love to get into nitro,
    Butttttt...
    It's messy
    Its a LOT of work
    It's loud (my brother is kinda noise sensitive
    It's cool, but not cool
    Enough to counter the negatives
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    I would love to get into nitro,
    Butttttt...
    It's messy
    Its a LOT of work
    It's loud (my brother is kinda noise sensitive
    It's cool, but not cool
    Enough to counter the negatives
    I'll preface to say that I've owned a 3.3 T-Maxx and 1/16 BL Boss--both now gone and now have a 3.3 Revo and an Alias.

From what it sounds like you have not owned a nitro. And these are common "complaints" to argue that nitro is dying and to avoid it like Ebola. I don't think nitro will go away, though it seems that manufacturers are looking to advance gas-power in 1/8 and 1/10 scale and if Traxxas came out with a gasser Revo where I didn't have to buy a $15 bottle for every gallon of gas I would seriously consider buying one. RC as a whole does not seem to be as big as it once was. The forum traffic here and other places seem to be down and BSRC reported that the recent experience at iHobby left much to be desired and attendance was less than it used to be on both sides of the wallet (manufacturers/dealers and purchasers).
    Is it messy: yes, however, it's no more messy than dealing with your gas mower or trimmer or even your auto. Most electrics have grease or oil in the differentials and shocks and it is no more messy than that.
    Work: electrics take work too and get into the higher end and you can adjust throttle and brake control of them. The only work is simple and quick engine maintenance and a small twist of the screwdriver to tune and you're good to go.
    Noise: much like the sound of a leaf blower or any 2-cycle engine used for yard maintenance. Most 2-stroke snowmobiles (piped and not) are louder than a nitro RC. There are pipes out there that are considerably louder.
    Cool: well, that is subjective. More people stop and watch when I drive the Revo than when I had my 1/16 Boss. My opinion is that it is very cool to see something that small being propelled by an engine.
    Does it take a little more time: yes and no. For electrics you have to wait for the batteries to charge and when you are done for the day either charge them to storage (lipo) or to full capacity. With nitro it is a simple two minutes to fill the bottle and tank and then go till you run out of gas. At the end of the day, if you intend on driving the next day, after-run on the engine takes 0-30 seconds; however, if it is going to sit for a while about 5 minutes of work is needed.
    Pros and cons to both, this is not to get into a debate which is better or not. I enjoy my nitro even when I have to sometimes deal with the frustration of a poor-running engine. At the end of the day, the nitro and electric versions of the trucks are similar: the only difference being the power plant connected to the transmission. To each their own, some like to go the electric route, others like the nitro. This is a hobby where tinkering is required and if you don't want to turn a wrench or twist a screwdriver then my wife will probably run into you at Michael's, Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-08-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    I can agree that there are pipes considerably louder for nitro. I had a slayer pro with the trinity pipe..... Wish I had a decibal reader back then but it was much louder! Maybe 15-20%.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I'll preface to say that I've owned a 3.3 T-Maxx and 1/16 BL Boss--both now gone and now have a 3.3 Revo and an Alias.

From what it sounds like you have not owned a nitro. And these are common "complaints" to argue that nitro is dying and to avoid it like Ebola. I don't think nitro will go away, though it seems that manufacturers are looking to advance gas-power in 1/8 and 1/10 scale and if Traxxas came out with a gasser Revo where I didn't have to buy a $15 bottle for every gallon of gas I would seriously consider buying one. RC as a whole does not seem to be as big as it once was. The forum traffic here and other places seem to be down and BSRC reported that the recent experience at iHobby left much to be desired and attendance was less than it used to be on both sides of the wallet (manufacturers/dealers and purchasers).
    Is it messy: yes, however, it's no more messy than dealing with your gas mower or trimmer or even your auto. Most electrics have grease or oil in the differentials and shocks and it is no more messy than that.
    Work: electrics take work too and get into the higher end and you can adjust throttle and brake control of them. The only work is simple and quick engine maintenance and a small twist of the screwdriver to tune and you're good to go.
    Noise: much like the sound of a leaf blower or any 2-cycle engine used for yard maintenance. Most 2-stroke snowmobiles (piped and not) are louder than a nitro RC. There are pipes out there that are considerably louder.
    Cool: well, that is subjective. More people stop and watch when I drive the Revo than when I had my 1/16 Boss. My opinion is that it is very cool to see something that small being propelled by an engine.
    Does it take a little more time: yes and no. For electrics you have to wait for the batteries to charge and when you are done for the day either charge them to storage (lipo) or to full capacity. With nitro it is a simple two minutes to fill the bottle and tank and then go till you run out of gas. At the end of the day, if you intend on driving the next day, after-run on the engine takes 0-30 seconds; however, if it is going to sit for a while about 5 minutes of work is needed.
    Pros and cons to both, this is not to get into a debate which is better or not. I enjoy my nitro even when I have to sometimes deal with the frustration of a poor-running engine. At the end of the day, the nitro and electric versions of the trucks are similar: the only difference being the power plant connected to the transmission. To each their own, some like to go the electric route, others like the nitro. This is a hobby where tinkering is required and if you don't want to turn a wrench or twist a screwdriver then my wife will probably run into you at Michael's, Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby.
    I don't know. Maybe I'll have to get a little into nitro so I can fight from both sides
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

Messy? Nitro?

Shock Oil
    Bearing grease
    Diff Fluid

All 3 of these are shared by both electric and Nitro.

Shimming
    Suspension setup
    Weight distribution
    Mechanics
    Electronics

Again traits shared by both...

Messy? The only thing I see different is there's fuel involved.
    Gotta tune a Nitro?

Don't you have to match up batteries, program ESC's?

To me I've seen both sides of this, thing is once you've got your electric setup the way you want it, it's charge and go....

Wait a minute, once I have my nitro dialed in it's the same thing. Except, 1 splash and a dash. I can run as long as my 1600 mah flat receiver pack can last... That's about all day...

But tuning is a required skill and no 2 Nitro engines are identical, unlike electrics where they ARE very comparable when it comes to their settings and batteries etc...

2 sides of this coin. Oh, and these Lipo's. Batteries give some people a false sense of security compared to seeing a bottle of Nitro fuel... Yet they both can be very dangerous without the proper precautions....

Electrics are improving and the torque is instant compared to having to get into the torque band of the engine. That's about the main difference I see.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

#Octane Power. Anyway if Traxxas put dial marks for tuning I would drive nitro more I still love it though. Traxxas needs a new nitro and needs to make a more powerful engine.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

I just other companies have made higher power engine.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    I just wish there would be more advancements in the nitro engine realm. I became interested in hobby grade cars when I was around 12. I wanted to work-on and maintain vehicle. A vehicle more similar to the family car than a golf cart.

Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    Still love mine. I actually traded all my electric models for nitro. recently picked up my second Jato, second Tmaxx and a Revo 3.3. The problem is that people do not want to take the time and understand how a nitro engine works or how to tune properly. Just simple plug and play of electric is fun and convenient, you cannot beat the roar of a nitro engine or the smell of the fumes. I find that wrenching on RC cars to be relaxing and just as enjoyable as running them. I also get great satisfaction out of the finished product when it's screaming down the road and I tell people that I "built" that !
    Exactly, today our society is enthralled in instant entertainment. That's not a bad thing, but everything in moderation. However, I know the experience nitro gave me as a young kid has helped me in more ways than one. Just learning the basic physics of the internal combustion engine, (along with the electric motor if you have an electrical starter), opens up a world of possibility. A little work and burnt fingers never hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post

The sentence at the end takes the cake
    Last edited by Double G; 10-11-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: merge
    Matthew 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post

The sentence at the end takes the cake
    If there were enough characters available for a signature, this may be worthy of one.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    My two cents would be this.

I do see the times changing for the RC community.
    Electric V Nitro... That's going to be a personal opinion. We all know opinions are like a mouth...everybody has one.

If you want to have that plug and play, somewhat less maintaince, go electric. If you like to tinker, taking apart, fixing/repairing. Buy one or the other, or buy both. One is, imho, an all day play time while the other isnt. You can figure out which is which.

While I'm still learning the nitro side of this hobby. I do find that Traxxas, from what I have read/ researched, hasn't stepped up to the plate with the nitro side as they have electric side of the company. Like I said before, that's my opinion.

If sound is an issue, wear ear plugs. If the smell of exhaust is an issue, what about the smell of auto and diesel exhaust? No different imho. If the work of upkeep on one's machine is troublesome, a pain, or just dreadful. Then why are you in this hobby to begin with?
    The signs of the times have changed, and will continue to change. My generation is one of you break it, you fix it. You do bad, you get your punishment accordingly. The don't rely on anyone to fix your mess. Now days people had rather raise their kids in a world with out firm punishment, no child left behind, give a trophy to a kid who didn't earn it. Xbox, play station, iPods, iPads, iPhones, galaxies, and all the other keep you plugged into a TV fantasy world isn't doing our kids any thing good. My son, sad to say this, has more friends on Xbox live than in school or church etc. So when he said that he wanted an rc, I was like lets go buy a couple. Teaching him about the small things on an rc is really teaching him a lot of other life lessons. For instance, getting your hands dirty isn't a bad thing! Earning extra money from chores to buy new parts or hop ups. Either way, he is unplugged and in the sunshine! That in itself, is miracle for home to give up Xbox time.

Sry, got a foot on that soap box... I think I owe a couple more cents...

RC Qualifier
    as soon as i got my tmaxx 2.5 my electric rustler hit the shelf and has not been driven since (its only been about a year) but nitro does not break way more than electric like most people say. also cheaper after you buy them. my friend got a stampede 4x4 and dropped about 1000 on it just to go 60mph my tmaxx 2.5 with minor upgrades (traxxas resonater, 3.3 filter, and 3.3 drive shafts) can hit about 45mph tuned right and has much more control then his which is constent immediate wheelies and backflips off the ground. and jumping is so much funner with my nitro easier to control in the air then the jerky control of electric. in my opinion id take a nitro over an electric any day
    Don't force it out. GET A BIGGER HAMMER!!

RC Enthusiast
    The sound isn't that bad, it's really not too loud. However, it sounds so much cooler running a nitro up and down the street than an electric.

As i've written in another thread, I just bought an erevo to replace a nitro which i lost in sandy. Thought i'd take the easy route, but while there is tinkering to be done on both, I really miss the smell, the noise, and the endless tinkering of the nitro.

Electric will become more popular than nitro, there is no doubt in my mind. But, there will always be the die-hards that will not settle for less than fuel powered muscle. Nitro is king, coming from a whimp who went electric.