RC Qualifier

Help with connectors for lipo battery

I'm switching some of my traxxas lipo batteries over to traxxas connectors. What am I doing wrong with my soldering. I can only get the solder to bubble on the connector.

Here is my solder.
    Scott

Are you soldering on that huge heat sink called a "vise"? Lead-free, silver-bearing solder is typically harder to work with than 60/40 tin/lead stuff and requires higher temperatures. It will be difficult to achieve those temperatures with that massive heatsink attached to the terminal.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Yep giant heatsink, clean the connecter well, and use FLUX!!!!

Also if you arent aware ...... there is an A and a B terminal, there not all the same.

You need a helping hand jig. They cost literally $3 at menards. That vice is your problem. Also what soldering iron are you using? You need a soldering IRON not a GUN. I have a 240w soldering gun that can't solder a traxxas connector. Yet my 60w teak power soldering iron can solder an 8 ga. Wire with no problem.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    I am using a 75 wat gun , cause my propane iron wasnt hot enough.

You have the right solder. You just need a smaller heat sink and an iron.
    Even a $10 radios back iron that lasts a month and puts out 20w will be enough if you have a soldering jig.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 25 watt Weller iron.
    Scott

Ok. That should work.

RC Qualifier
    I just bought a jig. I should have it in a few days. I will try that. Thank you for the advise.
    Scott

My favorite thing is a piece of porcelain tile you get from some home improvement mega store for cheap. Use the high gloss stuff.

You can lay the connector straight on the tile, add the tin to both the connector and the wire, and then hold the wire with a pair of pliers on the connector as you push the iron on top of the wire. Since the connector lays flat and you're holding the wire on top of it the soldering usually goes pretty quick, and the tile doesn't melt or absorb heat. (Note: The little locking pins on the bottom of the connector do make it wiggle just a bit, but that's what the pliers / wire help with.)

Any gunk or left over solder / flux on the tile just scrapes right off. No need for jigs, helping hands, etc and the tile doesn't transfer enough heat to ever have an issue with the surface underneath. I use this method on my wood workbench with a 1' x 1' piece of white high gloss tile, works like a charm. Smaller pieces would work too and probably fit well into a pit box near your iron storage.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 10-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Looks to me like the connector is upside down. Maybe wrong though
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Qualifier
    No your right. I tried both sides to see if it made a difference. It didn't.
    Scott

The side for the solder has a pattern and helps the solder key to the connector. And also the blade won't fit properly in the housing if it's on the other side. There is a couple of raised bits ( can't think of what the correct name is), if these aren't in the correct seating, the blades would just keep sliding back out when connecting to the other connector.
    So it has to go on the correct side all the time.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    Your soldering iron is not hot enough. Use flux paste and a bigger iron. I would use 50 watt minimum, for something like that, otherwise you're just warming up terminals. 25w is for LEDs and small wires.
    There is nothing wrong with your solder there.
    There is nothing wrong with soldering guns either, the only problems they have is they are slow to heat up(that's why only amateurs use them) and they loose the connection at the tip. That's most likely why poster above can't use his 240watt gun.