RC Competitor

pinion gear backing off.

I blue lock tight my pinion gear and it still comes loose. What do you guys do to keep that bugger in its place

RC Qualifier
    If youre set on gearing as i am, use red loctite. Also a good hex driver such as hudy is great. I have a cheap brand for 2.0 and 2.5 but the 1.5 hudy is the way to go. Also, if you ever decide to take it off a little heat from a soldering iron and it'll come out.

RC Qualifier
    I had a problem with a few pinions doing the same. Take the pinion off and run the grub screw all the way in. This will help clean off any burs that might be preventing full lock down of the screw. I never use thread locker on my pinions. Haven't needed to since I started cleaning out the threads.

Make sure you clean out the threads like Brian said. And get it tightened with good tools.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Champion
    If the bottom of the pinion has become completely flat and smooth from usage, you can take a Dremel or small file, and either cut or rough it up. This will let it grip the motor shaft better.

After that, like said above, clean the threads out, re-loctite, use a quality hex driver, and give the loctite time to set in.

RC Champion
    All the above but CLEAN pinion and screw threads with brake clean install pinion on motor shaft and put loctite IN screw hole and on screw. Assemble and let set overnight and done. This has worked for me with no problem except having to use a soldering iron every now and then to heat loctite to get the pinion off.
    just a basher