RC Racer

OFNA GTP Body for Rally

So I finally bought a body for my rally and I'm looking forward to my first attempt at painting. Found this one in your thread Viper!! I was thinking either silver with red trim or maybe black with silver. Just a simple 2 tone for my first one. And no I'm not using these tires hehe. I just got the 17mm traxxas adapters and the treaded GT sweeps are on their way.

Any opinions on 2 colors for this body?

RC Qualifier
    If you buy some candy colors, you can back them with silver for a deep metalic look. I did it with candy apple red and silver backing. Looked pretty good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    If you buy some candy colors, you can back them with silver for a deep metalic look. I did it with candy apple red and silver backing. Looked pretty good.
    Sorry I'm a noob hehe. Do you mean you painted the whole thing in red and then a coat of silver on top of it or you taped off for two separate colors?

RC Qualifier
    The candy red paint is very translucent. I put it down, let it dry, then came back with silver. Here is a picture, but it looks better in person.
    Watch a few videos on youtube. That's where I learned!

RC Racer
    Ah nice! Now I see what ya mean!

RC Racer
    Hey guys, anyone out there that painted this body I would love to see what you did with yours! Please post on my thread

RC Champion
    You've seen mine, however Google shows some good examples. I say Silver, Blue and Orange, in no particular order. Have fun with it

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ofna+...w=1676&bih=810

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    You've seen mine, however Google shows some good examples. I say Silver, Blue and Orange, in no particular order. Have fun with it

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ofna+...w=1676&bih=810
    Hiya Viper! Yea I saw those I was hoping to see a few more from here but no biggie. I'll post pics this week when done.

RC Champion
    Okay, due to lack of pictures.... Here is a similar body but in 1/10 that I painted. I wanted to replicate the McLaren Mango Orange. No trickery, just one solid color. With a lower black spoiler.

And my DP8

RC Racer
    They both look great! Love the gulf!! I knew it was gonna be a pain in the *** trying to line up the window masks and painters tape hehe. Don't know how you guys do that!! I'm using florescent yellow for most of the body with candy blue stripes and black trim around the bottom. I put 2 coats of the yellow on but unfortunately needs another coat or so and I ran out. I'm using the Duratrax spray cans. My local hobby store has a couple of yellows left but of course not the florescent hehe. I really wanted to finish it today and might just grab one of the yellows they have. I hope the mixture will still look good
    Last edited by MrGrim999; 11-09-2014 at 12:33 PM.

RC Champion
    You could always use liquid mask, its quite easy to use if you research first. Can't wait to see it painted!
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Racer
    Omg! I'm so ****ed I ruined it lol. Everything was going fine and I thought I could get away with doing the candy blue last. Not only was it watery but it ran into the body in a few places and showed right through the yellow. I really didn't think it would happen after backing the body in silver. Oh well it's my first one and figured there would be something. I used nail polish remover on the spots and will buy another can of the fluorescent yellow to touch it up. It will be far from perfect but I would imagine it will look a little better than leaving the blue. I'll post pic this week....

I'd say use this as a basher body and paint a new one. For my first few bodies I used monochrome white or black. Two colors is hard to do.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I'd say use this as a basher body and paint a new one. For my first few bodies I used monochrome white or black. Two colors is hard to do.
    I might have to. I used nail polish remover on the spots the blue ran through and of course the local hobby shops were out of the fluorescent yellow and silver so I had to order through ebay which should be here by saturday. Hopefully it wont come out that bad. We all learn from the first one right? Yea OG, I'll just use this as a basher. I'm eager to try this again so I think I'll pick out a body for my e revo and try it again....

I'll post pics this weekend just for laughs

RC Racer
    Ok, so, note to self and fellow noobs out there....DO NOT ever use nail polish remover on lexan!!!! I tried applying 3 coats of yellow and backed it with silver on the spots I screwed up but no luck. The nail polish remover must have damaged the lexan and made it permanently cloudy. I added some decals to hide some of it but I guess it doesn't look too bad.

Here guys....took a pic not too close hehe.....at least the new tires look good

It looks pretty good to me. I see the passenger window is a little cloudy but thats no problem.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    It looks pretty good to me. I see the passenger window is a little cloudy but thats no problem.
    Thanks! You can see if you look at the stripes on the side where I used the candy blue it came out watery. I'll tell ya one thing, their lexan bodies are very glossy and look beautiful in the spots that were done right! I'm itching to do another one. Next time I'm gonna use the Tamiya paints and see what happens...

RC Champion
    I've seen bodies come out much worse, nice job on the paint scheme! At least you won't be afraid to beat on this body.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I've seen bodies come out much worse, nice job on the paint scheme! At least you won't be afraid to beat on this body.
    Thanks a lot! Hehe yep....it will give me an excuse to do another one

RC Enthusiast
    Nice job there Grimmy - Rally looking sweet.

Bobby D

RC Racer
    Thanks a lot bobbyd !

i agree with with everyone else....the body looks good! And the wheels really set things off!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    i agree with with everyone else....the body looks good! And the wheels really set things off!
    Thanks alot Rad! Yea I'm pretty happy with the wheels too! I didn't try them until the body was done and they grip and drift nicely!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That electrical outlet on that kitchen counter is supposed to be GFCI.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    That electrical outlet on that kitchen counter is supposed to be GFCI.
    Haha you're absolutely right! This community is only about 12 years old so they should have definitely known better. Although, I'm starting to believe things were purposely done to give the local electricians business...

RC poster
    ViperZ....Love the Gulf...I have loved that scheme since I was a kid. Where did you get the Gulf stickers? And are they put on the outside of the body?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    That looks ALOT like the last Ofna body I painted... different colors but ver similar scheme:

Just a thought, if your using the duratrax rattle cans and used up a whole can on 2 coats of yellow, your spraying it on too thick. You should just be spraying LIGHT coats. If its yellow, a light color thats very opaque when wet, you should barely be able to see the first coat. Let it DRY before applying the next coat... you should get at least 5 coats from a single can. Light colors tend to be very watery and will pool or run if sprayed too thick. They also dont dry properly and will chip off bad. Its all about light coats. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process between coats.

Make sure you clean and dry the body inside before you start taping or painting. I use dish soap on a paper towel to clean it. Then dry it and super dry it with a hair dryer. Then do the window masks, then the tape. If your doing multiple light colors you'll have to seal the first light color with the backer (silver or white) before you spray the next. A couple coats of the backer color will stop the next color from showing through. If you plan to use dark colors, do them first... if you do them last they WILL change the light colors, even if already backed with silver.

As has been stated, don't overwhelm yourself with multi colors and complicated tape jobs at first. You'll be happier with a single color body that looks great than a detailed multi color scheme that looks rough.

Its all about multiple light coats... resist the temptation to "keep spraying"... if you think its too light, its probably perfect.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-18-2015 at 03:09 PM.