Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

DialedIn's Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition build.

I've always wanted a Slash 4x4 and I've been waiting for my chance to grab one. Tower had a good coupon this month plus I got in on the $36 credit deal and I couldn't resist.

I grabbed the platinum edition but unfortunately (or fortunately) I ended up with old stock which had the old 2 pole VXL system.

A couple shots of the stock PE chassis. The white dots on the shock adjuster screws is white out. It helps me keep track of how many turns I have made.

All RC's have weak spots so I searched around for the best starter hopups. The suspension seems to have a little slop which I want to correct. I also wanted to replace the 2 pole system with something a little more powerful and more customizable while still keeping it waterproof.

Parts list:

010-0123-00 - Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder SCT System 3800kV
    ST6877B - STRC Aluminum Electronics Mount Plate Blue Slash 4X4
    10412 - Ofna Shims 5x8x0.3 (10) (for tightening suspension slop)
    4939 - Traxxas Suspension Screw Pin Set T-Maxx (8) (for tightening suspension slop)
    10115 - MIP 17mm Hex Adapter Kit
    ST7460B - Traxxas LCG Slash 4X4 Blue Aluminum Motor Mount by STRC
    VG Racing TRAXXAS 4x4 (LCG) Chassis Brace Blue Fits Slash and Rally 4x4
    RPM82232 - RPM "Revolver" Crawler Wheels, Wide Base, Black (for later use)
    2721-02 - PROLINE SPLIT SIX 2.2”/3.0 BLACK WHEELS (for later use)

Progress so far.

Do I need to lube the outside of the slipper bearing for use in the aluminum motor mount?

P.S. I'll also be posting my silly little mistakes along the way so newcomers can avoid them
    Last edited by nixhex32; 11-17-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: pic updated

Looks like you have a good plan for your truck. May I ask what lipos you intend on running? If you are going to run 3s the motor combination you are planning to use will not be much of an improvement over stock. You will have problems with the motor getting hot. If you are going to run 2s lipos that will be a good choice for you.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Looks good! Like elsob said the sidewinder is not the way to go in this truck, do you need waterproof?
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    He didn't say it was "Not the way to go". He basically said it depends on how HE is going to use the truck.

Anyways, I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT v3 system and I have no regrets at all. I was not looking for a speed boost out of it. I chose it because of the Castle Link capability and all of the settings you can tweak.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Looks like you have a good plan for your truck. May I ask what lipos you intend on running? If you are going to run 3s the motor combination you are planning to use will not be much of an improvement over stock. You will have problems with the motor getting hot. If you are going to run 2s lipos that will be a good choice for you.
    I have a few older Hyperion 2s 25C lipos that have been sitting at a storage voltage for years. Two are 4350mah and one 4500mah. I have no idea how they will perform so I'll be paying close attention for any signs of swelling. If I can't use them I'll grab an SPC 2s 5000mah 50C lipo.

I really wanted a waterproof system that could handle both 2s and 3s but I couldn't find any without getting a cheaper ESC. I also didn't want an extremely powerful system because of the weight, expensive batteries and damage repairs from 60mph crashes. Plus I already have a Castle Link and Field Link.

Goodies

A good waterproof combination that isn't too expensive it the new VXL esc and the Et - 2400 motor from the Traxxas Funny Car.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I read that the et-2400 motor needs a stout 2s lipo. That's why I didn't buy one. The majority of my driving will be with 2s. I would only run 3s sparingly.

IMHO Traxxas should make a capable 3s motor that keeps its cool when geared for 50mph or when hard bashing. Something in between the vxl and 2400 would work well. Then design or re-brand a waterproof esc for that motor.

RC Champion
    DialedIn you'll love the chassis brace, mine is the same color. And the et2400 is a perfect motor on 3s if you ever go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    He didn't say it was "Not the way to go". He basically said it depends on how HE is going to use the truck.

Anyways, I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT v3 system and I have no regrets at all. I was not looking for a speed boost out of it. I chose it because of the Castle Link capability and all of the settings you can tweak.
    If you use 2s, but very few people run 2s in the 4x4 due to the lingering fact of heat issues since you need a higher KV motor to run 2s. That's all.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Take both fans off of the SCT system because the fans are NOT waterproof. I talked to a Castle tech last week and he said it was fine to run without them and you will NOT void the warranty. 2 days ago I did a test. I ran my truck HARD on 3" tall grass that was full of leaves for 20 minutes. I yanked the lid off real quick and got 141F on the motor and 132F on the ESC with no fans. 13/54 gears. I ordered a clip on 36mm fanless heat sink and I'll do the same test again.

RC Qualifier
    Good stuff Matt. What was the ambient temp?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It was about 50F out that day. I'm learning that ambient temps play a huge roll. I did the same thing yesterday, but with 15/54 gears. The absolute hottest it got was 120F. It was 32F outside. I think I was saying it on another thread, but I think it'd be wise to have Summer time gearing and Winter time gearing.

RC Racer
    Strange, I just picked up a Platinum Slash on November 7, 2014 from tower. I got that and the CC sidewinder 8th for it. Used the gold code and e-cash from October and coupon codes. Your right, too good a deal to pass up. I only say all that because mine came with the new 4 pole VXL. Put the VXL in my wifes 2wd slash and dropped the 8th in my platinum slash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW4k...AAmo-o1NMdvNmA is a video I threw up for the VXL. Mine came out of the IL warehouse, maybe that is the difference? Not sure.

RC Qualifier
    After I ordered I called Tower and the lady checked and said they just got a new shipment in and that I should get the newest model. I even explained that the boxes were different. It was a different story when I called them after I had already received the truck. They said there was nothing they could do. It's hard to believe they can't contact the wareshouse on behalf of their PAYING customers. Mine also came from the Illinois warehouse. Knowing my luck I got the last of the old stock .

RC Qualifier
    I also grabbed a set of Pro-line Split Six and RPM 2.2 Crawler wide wheelbase wheels. I'm not sure which wheel and tire combo I'll end up going with. I would however like a large set of tires for more ground clearance.

Here's a shot of the STRC aluminum motor mount and electronics mount. I found that the battery hold down didn't fit after installing the motor mount. I used a large file to remove several millimeters of material on both ends of the hold down. I removed enough material to ensure a little front to back play when the hold down was installed.

Here I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT system and VG Racing brace installed. Please note that the blue brace is really a darker blue than the center drive shaft. For some reason the flash changed its color.

While I had it apart I installed a little bit of fuel tubing on the center drive shaft splines.

If you remove the front end of the truck notice on the bottom it has a tab in the center that fits in the chassis itself. I didn't notice it until I had the front end installed and had to pull it back off .

I also completely lost my mind and ordered an et-2400 motor . I couldn't resist for $66. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it but it would go nicely with the Slash 4x4. I have no idea if it will work with the Sidewinder or not. I'm thinking it will but it may not be ideal.

To conclude the Slash 4x4 is fun and easy to work on. The engineers did a really nice job on this truck. The parts support is also excellent. You can make this truck into anything you want.

nice build, dialed! that 2400 motor is a lot of fun!!
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I didn't realize the 2400 was a 36mm can until I checked out the specs at Castles site. Once I knew that fact I had to grab one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the 2400 will be a bit much (amp draw wise) for a sidewinder. You could get the funny car esc to power it, then re-flash the firmware to genuine Castle firmware. If you need it waterproofed, there are several methods to do so.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DialedInRC View Post
    Here's a shot of the STRC aluminum motor mount and electronics mount. I found that the battery hold down didn't fit after installing the motor mount. I used a large file to remove several millimeters of material on both ends of the hold down. I removed enough material to ensure a little front to back play when the hold down was installed.
    Had the same issue when I mounted the STRC motor mount, but was an easy fix!

RC Qualifier
    I think the 2400 will be a bit much (amp draw wise) for a sidewinder. You could get the funny car esc to power it, then re-flash the firmware to genuine Castle firmware. If you need it waterproofed, there are several methods to do so.
    You're probably right. I'm guessing that the esc might get hot. I'll contact Castle when I get a chance.

I had read that the funny car esc couldn't be re-flashed. Your post motivated me to dig deeper and low and behold you're correct! This is very tempting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I looked into it too, but honestly for what I'm doing, my Slash is plenty fast for me with just the Sidewinder SCT.

RC Qualifier
    I've been collecting parts for the last 2 weeks. I want this Slash 4x4 to be fairly bulletproof plus I was looking for the best deals.

Parts list:

ET-3S Traxxas Funny Car ESC
    ET-2400 Traxxas 2400kv Funny Car motor
    2x 6882x Traxxas Gear Set XO-1
    2x 3978 Traxxas Carrier Diff E-Maxx
    5351 Traxxas Slipper Pressure Plate & Hub Alloy Revo
    5352R Traxxas Heavy Duty Slipper Clutch Rebuild Kit Revo/Maxx
    2x 2755-03 Pro-Line F-11 2.8" Black Wheels (2) 17mm Hex Stampede
    2x 10110-00 Pro-Line Interco TSL SX Super Swamper 2.8" All Terrain
    6087-00 Pro-Line Extended Front/Rear Body Mounts Slash 4X4
    1715 Robinson Racing Pinion Gear Absolute 32P 15T
    1720 Robinson Racing Pinion Gear Absolute 32P 20T
    7426X Traxxas Battery Hold-Downs Tall 1/10 Rally VXL
    3912 Traxxas Body Long Wheelbase Body E-Maxx
    LOSB2959 Losi Front Racing Spring Set: TEN / TEN-SCTE
    LOSB2963 Losi Rear Racing Spring Set: TEN / TEN-SCTE
    TKR6855 Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft And Outdrives (Slash 4X4)
    TOYZ 300 TheToyz Traxxas Slash 4x4, Rally Car Elite Zipper LCG Chassis ESC RX Protector Shroud

Looks like a good set-up so far.
    Keep us posted as you progress
    and hope it all gets done to play
    with by Christmas Day!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 12-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are you going to move the receiver box up front because of the the longer motor, or are you going to squeeze it all in there? I was just going to add that if you move the box, you'll need a servo extension lead because the one on the ET-3S is very short. I know it wouldn't reach on mine.

RC Qualifier
    I actually ordered the servo extensions last night. You mentioned it in your other topic and I'm glad you did because it totally slipped my mind.

I hope that my motor/esc wires are long enough. The motor I bought from ebay didn't come with the extension like they do when you buy from dollarhobbyz.

I also ordered some 6mm standoffs for my shocks. Both are coming from China so it will be a while.
    Last edited by DialedInRC; 12-05-2014 at 01:06 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In almost all of the pictures I've seen of Slash 4x4s and the Funny Car Motor, I didn't see any wire extensions, so I think you'll be fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DialedInRC View Post
    I actually ordered the servo extensions last night. You mentioned it in your other topic and I'm glad you did because it totally slipped my mind.

I hope that my motor/esc wires are long enough. The motor I bought from ebay didn't come with the extension like they do when you buy from dollarhobbyz.
    Just wanted to update you on this.
    The wire extensions for the motor/esc are definitely not needed. I have my ESC moved forward about 1.5" and there was no problem at all and still plenty of slack.
    The 6" extension for the ESC to receiver wires worked out perfect. A side benefit to that is I no longer have to remove the lid to the receiver box whenever I use my Castle Link. Just simply plug it in at the extension.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a ton on the update Matt! I'm glad I don't need the motor extension wires. I wasn't having any luck finding them online.

I also like the fact that the esc/receiver extension eliminates the need to open the receiver box. The boxes work good but they are a pain to open and grease gets everywhere.

RC Qualifier
    It's been a while since I have updated this topic. Last month I collected the rest of my parts for the build. I had a couple of $20 off $50 coupons from Tower and Amain which helped.

10132 and 10130 MIP X-Duty CVD's (special thanks to thesmogman)

499 Dubro Tru-Spin Prop Balancer
    DTXR2000 Duratrax Pit Tech Tire Glue Thin .5 oz
    GPMR1010 Great Planes E-Z Mask Tape 1/4"
    3010 Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film 16 oz
    ST1654B STRC CNC Machined Aluminum Hex Adapters Blue Slash 4X4
    P84 Perfect Graphite Lube
    DTXC3797 x 2 Duratrax Bandito SC On-Road Tire C2 (2)

RPM81242 RPM Rear Skid Plate Black Slash (I had to show my 2wd some love.)
    ASC5457 Team Associated Silicone Differential Fluid (30,000cst) (2oz)
    DYN2621 Dynamite Wheel Balancing Tape/Chassis Ballast
    RPM73562 RPM Slash LCG 4x4 Front Bulkhead Black
    TRA5461 Traxxas Variable Damping Kit GTR Shocks
    SAV-SG-SC0251MG Savox SC0251MG Metal Gear Set w/Bearing
    XFC6671 X Factory 3mm Locknut (10)

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Grease Lubricant Lube 13.4 Ounce Tube

Duratrax PC262 Polycarb Silver Streak 4.5oz
    Duratrax PC264 Polycarb Metallic Red 4.5oz
    Duratrax PC280 Polycarb Spray Metallic Black 4.5 oz

TOYZ 699 - 1/16 1/18 1/10 Super Bright Flashing LED Light 2 in 1 System RC Car & Truck

LCF38X06 - Hot RacingTraxxas 1/10 Rally Blue Aluminum Alloy Motor Mount With Oversized Bearing (not pictured)

RC Qualifier
    This week I waterproofed my et-3s with MG Chemicals acrylic conformal coating. I'll link to a couple of video how-tos I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-ySdmt9cw

Another vid. Disassembly Part 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fJYh8-vJU
    Part 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzDBzN84E8

I decided to do 3 coats which is probably overkill. The stuff I used is as thin as water but thickens once it starts to run. It will dry to a hard protective coating. It's actually really easy to work with and the 55ml bottle will last me a lifetime. Below are pics showing no coating to the 3rd coating.

Nice build, lots of fine work into your truck;
    Those badito wheels look slick.....by the way I wovder if the vg brace too will fit a hcg slash.
    Last edited by Jezza; 01-24-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Looks awesome! I might hit you up for tips when I get my et-3s
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

Build looks great. Can't wait to see the completed project (at least complete for now)!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    ...by the way I wovder if the vg brace too will fit a hcg slash.
    They don't make that brace for the HCG chassis. I don't think the HCG flexes like the LCG and doesn't need one.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Look'in good Dialed. Glad to help Hope to see this beast come alive!!!! Soon.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice job on the ESC!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Nice build, lots of fine work into your truck;
    Those badito wheels look slick.....by the way I wovder if the vg brace too will fit a hcg slash.
    Thanks Jezza. I agree about the Banditos. I kept hearing El Sob talk about them so when I had the coupon I jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoesntknow View Post
    Looks awesome! I might hit you up for tips when I get my et-3s
    Thank you Scotty. I would be glad to help with the et-3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Build looks great. Can't wait to see the completed project (at least complete for now)!
    Cheers Squeegie. The truck should be solid when it's done. The suggestions from helpful forums members deserve all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    Look'in good Dialed. Glad to help Hope to see this beast come alive!!!! Soon.
    Thank you thesmogman! The driveshafts are awesome and complete the build.

Very nice job on the ESC!!!!
    Thanks Matt! You gave me the courage to try waterproofing myself. The conformal coating is pretty sweet. You should give it a try sometime. It's just like painting a fingernail. I did write MG Chemicals before I bought it but they said most people went with the acrylic. I've also heard about people using the polyurethane (like in the first vid) and silicone type. If it ever needs to be removed they make a remover.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah. I'll definitely use it if I ever have to get another ESC. It looks much neater than mine. Not that anyone would ever see inside my ESC, LOL.

RC Qualifier
    I'm running into a couple of small issues as I build. I wonder if you all have seen the same problems and how you dealt with them.

1. Hot Racing motor mount with et-2400 motor and strc electronics mount. The back of the motor is barely touching the electronics mount. It's going to vibrate onto the mount. My idea for now is to put a layer of my good servo tape on the strc electronics mount. Thoughts?

2. My rear x-dutys look like they will rub my traxxas aluminum parts when the suspension is fully extended. Should I mitigate the problem or will the problem fix itself in time?

3. The Hot Racing motor mount came with one screw. I tried mounting the motor with the longer stock screw which has a flat and lock washer. It was too long so I had to use the plain Hot Racing screw. Will it hold well enough by itself with thread locker?

4. Extended battery mount question. I bought it for my 3s lipo but does it hold 2s lipos well or am I better off keeping the stock mount for now? I plan on using 2s lipo to start with to make sure everything was put together right.

RC Qualifier
    Here is a comparison shot between Pro-line Split Six (2721-02) and DE Racing Trinidad SC 17mm (DER-SCT-17B) wheels.

To me the Split Six wheels feel a little stronger. Especially on the inner part of the wheels which you can see in the 2nd pic. I'm going to go with the Trinidad's because they are 17mm but they also make a 12mm version for the stock Slash 4x4. Trinidads are available in 4 colors.

Very nice. I went for the lock up mt tires. Hoping to get them from the lhs, got premounted ones. I wanted to also get the trinidads but was not to sure if they had a negative offset. When you get both of them on could you please show the difference on the wheel base.
    I am planing to do my own tires but only with a 17mm wheel and cloed foams.
    Its quite hard to find 17mm hex wheels of 2.8, checkef three diff compamnies but could not decide on what yet.
    Live life to the fullest

Hey Dialed,
    1. A piece of fuel tubing or rubber between should be good.
    2. Put a teflon washer on both sides of the rear hub bearings. Just like it is stock and it should be fine.
    3. Should be ok.
    4. I don't know??? Maybe some foam blocks will be needed.

It's coming together nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast