RC Enthusiast

My Teton build with a Mini-T transmission

I dont have many posts in this forum but I am fairly active on ultimaterc. I did a completely custom Teton build that I think you will all want to know about.

I may not be able to keep this thread up-to-date but I will keep my ultimaterc post up-to-date with my experience. If you would like to follow, here is the link:
    http://ultimaterc.com/forums/showthr...68#post2175568

• Complete Stock roller built from parts.
    • Mini-T/MDT transmission (has dual disk slipper and metal Gear Diff’s upgrades)
    • MLST End-drives which connect to the Teton’s diff gear
    • MLST2 Aluminum shocks with soft white springs and 30wt. associated Oil.
    • Hitec HS-5055MG with the modified servo connector
    • Hobbywing 25A ESC
    • Tacon 5200KV brushless Motor
    • Duratrax onyx 1600mah battery
    • FS GT3C Radio
    • Vaterra Kalahari wheels (Stock teton wheels are total junk). The Kalahari wheels come pre-glued, slightly harder with foam and tad narrow compared to Teton stocks.

Full side view:

Full Top view:

Mini-T/MDT Tranny mount

Diff connection using the stock Mini-T dogBones and MLST End drives

MLST2 Aluminum shocks with soft white springs

Tacon brushless motor and the Hitec HS-5055MG Servo

RC Competitor
    Nice build !
    Ultra4Europe racer

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks cyrano and Ced.

Vaterra wheels were definitely cyrano's recommendation. Balance is not an issue as the battery is on the other side. I am using. 1600mah which is slightly heavier than stock battery. So it all works out well.

My only gripe is that the truck is not as free rolling as i wish. Its too tight. Need to figure out how to fix it.

RC Enthusiast
    But boy i love those shocks. They are so smooth and are way sturdier as the shaft is 2.5mm thick i think.

Very nice build and great looking rig!
    Anything trick about the body or are you running it in stealth mode?
    Keep up the good work!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. I have a SC18 body that i want to use.

RC Enthusiast
    Completed the build and here are the pics:

Top view

Side view and battery mount

SC18 body

Front view Body

Shock action:

BTW, it is still not as free rolling. This has definitely got to do with the motor. When I move the pinion away from the spur gear, the truck is free rolling. But when I mesh them, even at the slightest touch, it feels like a binding effect. Any ideas?

I think there is probably not enough clearence for the aluminium motor mount plate which is either flexing the plate and meshing in a weird angle or something.

RC Qualifier
    Does it drive fine? Mine feels like that also like its binding and doesn't free roll that well. But it rolls fine when it gets power. On my moters atleast if you turn the pinion by hand you can feel the shaft not free spinning inside the can. It's like little bumps. I think that gets amplified through the drivetrain and it seems worse at the wheels.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Enthusiast
    Do u have a similar build? I am about to install the tranny from my mini desert truck today and see if that would silve the problem.

On a different note, i am thinking about buying the ECX slipper clutch and see if that would fit. That will require the ECX cnter drive shaft as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Last night I switched the transmission from this teton into my Mini desert truck. It worked like a charm. Did not feel any binding in this build either. Also when I popped in the transmission from the mini-DT into this truck, there is the same binding feeling.
    Now it makes me wonder how other trucks which have similar layout work (Mini-LST, 1/16 slash, MERV, etc). They all have a center transmission that drives diffs in the front and rear.

Anyways, I will assume that everything is fine and drive the truck, if something breaks, then I will know it was the weak point. Still waiting for the weather to clear up.

RC Enthusiast
    Finally drove the truck and few things happened. The servo arm did rub against the slipper and the servo connector has been sanded down quiet a bit. This is not a biggie as these parts are very very cheap.

On driving this truck, it is missing a lot of speed due to the parasitic resistance of the mini-t transmission. This is totally weird as the same parts constitute the center transmission for Mini-LST. Why does they truck roll so freely???? Even the stock mini-t transmission is offering too much resistance for this truck to roll on a slope. I really need to understand the cause. I see that all of the traxxas mini (1/16) series have a center transmission while 1/10th scale just have a slipper. What is the logic behind this? Why do the mini slash and MERV roll so freely? Someone please offer me some guidance here.

At the moment I have reverted back to the stock setup on the teton using the spare chassis plate. I am guessing very soon I will blow the diffs with my brushless motor on nimh battery.