RC Competitor

4s??????? Which ESC with stock motor?

Hi guys, was just wondering if it was possible to run 4s (2x2s in series) with stock motor and a different ESC? I know 3s is all the stock ESC can take, just, and thats more than fast enough but was curious if this is possible for some super high speed runs?!
    1/16 e-revo vxl
    That's it......for now....

RC Champion
    The motor is rated at 50,000 rpm and its 4000kv motor so 50000/4000=12.5 Max V. So the most you can put is 3s on the stock motor since the velineon can't handle that high of an rpm. 4s is 14.8V. It would be better to go big block to get better speed on 2s, and 3s.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    Ah I see, I thought the voltage would be ok because you can run 2 Nimh in series which is also 14.8v (Although they do charge to about 9.6v each which would be 18v+)
    1/16 e-revo vxl

There are several people that tried it, even with the stock ESC. So is it's possible? Yes.

But let it be clear that it is not recommended and there is a big risk of damage to both motor and ESC. Besides that you lose warranty.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Cheers for the advice, what would be a good motor and esc upgrade then to run 4s without going big block and adding too much weight?
    1/16 e-revo vxl

RC Qualifier
    go neu motors from castle.
    you can get a 4S rated motor which is a direct drop-in (the 1110 series) i got myself a 3S one and its great.

The difference between 3S and 4S is not that huge if you take into account that your batteries need to be able to feed the combo. Two 3S ones connected parallel will probably be able to deliver more energy than two 2S ones in series.

Looking at the reviews that I read about Neu motors, they must be great. If you don't mind the work of modifying a 4mm shaft to 3mm, Leopard makes some great motors which also are a drop in (2845 series). Maybe not as good as Neu but, considering the huge price difference, definately worth a try.

RC Qualifier
    well in neu you only need to shorten the shaft which is very easy. if you do 2.5 in accident you probably will be able to run it still,but in leopard you need to decrease the shaft diameter which is way harder because you need it just right to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tamirlankri View Post
    well in neu you only need to shorten the shaft which is very easy. if you do 2.5 in accident you probably will be able to run it still,but in leopard you need to decrease the shaft diameter which is way harder because you need it just right to fit.
    True, but I would rather fiddle with the shaft of a $50 motor than with one of three times that price

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The difference between 3S and 4S is not that huge if you take into account that your batteries need to be able to feed the combo. Two 3S ones connected parallel will probably be able to deliver more energy than two 2S ones in series.
    I didn't know you could run 3s in parallel, Will be giving that a try then! I have 2 3s batterys that are 1500mah and 25c, would this be safe? I really don't want to cook it. I'm assuming the upside of this is more Amps? I will only be doing a few speed runs and playing with gearing to see what it will do so heat shouldn't be an issue.
    1/16 e-revo vxl

RC Qualifier
    I ran 2 3s 40c 1850mah parallel in mine no problem with stock gear and cooling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DanEveson1979 View Post
    I didn't know you could run 3s in parallel, Will be giving that a try then! I have 2 3s batterys that are 1500mah and 25c, would this be safe? I really don't want to cook it. I'm assuming the upside of this is more Amps? I will only be doing a few speed runs and playing with gearing to see what it will do so heat shouldn't be an issue.
    The batteries will deliver what your ESC/motor is asking as good as they can, but never more. So using better batteries that can deliver more power potentially, is never a problem. The load that you put on the motor defines the maximum amount of consumed power, as long as ESC and batteries can deliver it.

Power is current x voltage. So using half the voltage and double the current gives the same result, which happens by switching from serial to parallel.

RC Competitor
    Petertje60, thanks so much for your advice and info, I am new to electric and especially lipos having used nitro cars when i was in the hobby before. I hope you dont mind if I keep firing questions at you as you seem to know what your talking about!
    As I have said before, I have 2 3s 1500mah 25c and I also have 2 2s 2200mah 40-80c. Am I right in thinking that the discharge figure is the amps(current) that the battery can put out? Also, if I run either the 2s or 3s in parallel how does that effect the discharge rate/power provided?
    1/16 e-revo vxl

Quote Originally Posted by DanEveson1979 View Post
    Petertje60, thanks so much for your advice and info, I am new to electric and especially lipos having used nitro cars when i was in the hobby before. I hope you dont mind if I keep firing questions at you as you seem to know what your talking about!
    As I have said before, I have 2 3s 1500mah 25c and I also have 2 2s 2200mah 40-80c. Am I right in thinking that the discharge figure is the amps(current) that the battery can put out? Also, if I run either the 2s or 3s in parallel how does that effect the discharge rate/power provided?
    Most welcome. We are here to help. Read my signature

To find out what current your battery is able to deliver, you have to mulitply the C rating by its capacity. For example, a 1500mAh 25C should be able to deliver 1500 x 25 = 37,500mA which equals 37.5A.
    The voltage that a Lipo delivers, drops when you put a load on it. The better batteries (which have a lower internal resistance) will be able to keep the voltage higher under load. The C rating tells something about how well a Lipo can do that.

Since there is no well defined standard for C rating, you have to be careful when comparing them.
    Best is to look at good brands, which will be more honest with their specs. I have great experiences with SPC lipos and you will find numerous guys around here which have those too.

Lipos in parallel give you twice the available current of a single battery but the same voltage, while serial doubles the voltage but keeps the current the same.

RC Competitor
    yeah I noticed your signature, so true. It is all very confusing when it comes to discharge because as you say there is no defined standard. Using the calculations my 2s battery should deliver 88-176 amps each compared to 37.5 from the 3s! How does Amps effect performance (Torque and top speed) then because 3s is much faster than 2s?

Dont know if I can name them on here but I am curious if you've had any experience with them, this is what I have,
    3s are Dymamite DYN1423 1500mah 25c
    2s are 2200mah 40-80c

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product or company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-18-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Banned Brand?
    1/16 e-revo vxl

The 40-80c sounds familiar. The banned products are also banned from my Lipo collection.
    I don't have experience with other brands than SPC and Kypom in my 1/16 scale cars.

Top speed is related to the used voltage. With everything the same, 3S should give 50% more top speed than 2S, as long as the combo can handle it and the battery can deliver it.
    You also need an ESC and motor that can handle it.
    I never went further than 4S in my 1/16 cars (Merv and Mustang). That was with a Castle Mamba Max Pro/4600 combo and a Leopard combo (2845 series).

It's important to set a goal what you want with your car. That makes it easier to find out how you can accomplish that.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    It's important to set a goal what you want with your car. That makes it easier to find out how you can accomplish that.
    Wise words, thanks for all your help
    1/16 e-revo vxl