Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

The operating table is prepped !

I stripped some gear(s) in the servo last run,so I figured I better replace the diffs and driveshaft !! LOL !! And oh ya,the servo ! Waiting for the parts. Xo-1 front and rear diffs,tekno big bone and outs,traxxas axle carriers and savox servo.Getting ready for the power plant upgrade.I included 2 pics of the front and rear with the Lundsford rods and RPM rod ends.

Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Nice!! Your truck reminds me of my friend's P4de with all that integy hop-ups and green too lol.

Did you buy a whole new servo or just the servo gear set? I did my 2075 with metal gear set from savox sc-0251mg

Thanks ! I hope the integy stuff lasts !! LOL ! I think I read your post on that servo re-build.I bought the SW-0231MG servo. I hope it doesn't cause brown outs. I plan on upgrading to a castle system(I'm thinking Sidewinder 8) and I'll have to get an external BEC according to their recommendations. I am also gonna re-build that servo and use it in my son's P4de. Thanks for all the good stuff you share.

Mario

I'm not a fan of the green parts but it looks good!
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I'm not a fan of the green parts but it looks good!
    I hear ya ! I wish Traxxas had green aluminum for the P4de.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioffroad View Post
    I hear ya ! I wish Traxxas had green aluminum for the P4de.
    Yea that's one thing I don't get. They have different colors for different vehicles but can't make them for all vehicles

Wow that's a sweet load of sick hop ups manyou are getting a pretty bulletproof setup there....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Wow that's a sweet load of sick hop ups manyou are getting a pretty bulletproof setup there....peace
    Thanks Brotha ! It's going to have to slow down after the motor and esc. I think I should have gone with RPM plastic instead of aluminum.I didn't realize how the extra weight would affect everything else.It was and is fun however.

You should be all good after those upgrades bro and you can't go wrong with rpm a arms and will not bend like aluminium ones....peace

Yes.I see there are green ones available from RPM.I should start another post but I'll ask you here:
    I emailed Castle and told them the upgrades I did.I said I wanted to get the zip back that I had when running my P4de stock on 2s.Daniel Forbes recommended the sidewinder 8.I said that I run 2s maybe 3s.He said the Sidewinder 8 would be great on 3s but would slow 2s.I know I have to do some reading on the theory of ESC's and motors.Why would it be slow on 2s ?
    Is it because the motor in that combo is a 2200kv as opposed to the 3500 velineon ?

RC Racer
    in a word,yes! motor kv multiplied by batt voltage = rpm. welcome 2 the madness, nice truck! what the 2200kv gives you is big torque, meaning you can run less gear,yet the motors torque will still accelerate the truck quickly. and because of the less gearing, your top speed is still high. there are limits,though... and im sure the smart guys here will help you find them... er... I mean get safely past them!
    Last edited by diggerdad; 11-18-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks Digger ! I have been reading.I'm surprised how much these little thins have in common with the big stuff I work on.It's all about PWM like the VFD's.Now,I have to read up on gearing.Thanks again.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a nice looking truck and operating table you got there. I recently did that just so I can free up the dinning room table lol. Proline has a mat. It's like a mouse mat for computers but bigger. I would like to see other companies make them as well. I'd have my whole table covered in them.

Thanks Er33.I use the bench for guitar amplifier thinkering. I am converting it to dual use for the rc also !! That mat you mentioned is something I've wanted for a few years now.I have 2 small ones under the towel that I got at a electrical distributor but junk always gathers in between.I will measure when I get home and will probably order it !! Thanks for the head's up.

PS Er33. I am looking at getting the sidewinder 8 combo. I see that you are running 22/50 gearing. How is this working for you and do you have any advice about this combo and gearing ? I do some all around bashing(grass,pavement,dirt,jumping).

Mario
    Last edited by Marioffroad; 11-19-2014 at 11:44 AM.

RC poster
    Mario what is the weight of your truck now? All I do is bash and I feel the more weight the worse off. I bought the roll cage awhile back and only used it a day or so cause it added way to much weight. Nice looking rig though bud

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks Er33.I use the bench for guitar amplifier thinkering. I am converting it to dual use for the rc also !! That mat you mentioned is something I've wanted for a few years now.I have 2 small ones under the towel that I got at a electrical distributor but junk always gathers in between.I will measure when I get home and will probably order it !! Thanks for the head's up.

PS Er33. I am looking at getting the sidewinder 8 combo. I see that you are running 22/50 gearing. How is this working for you and do you have any advice about this combo and gearing ? I do some all around bashing(grass,pavement,dirt,jumping).

Mario
    A lot of power it'll flip it on its lid. Not only at take off but if your already in motion say 20-30mph and you want more speed if give it to much throttle. I'm running 105-110* on esc and 140-145* on motor. I'd like to get the motor temp down just a tad. I'd just have to play with the gearing some. Or go back to the 2650kv motor now that motor is nice. I mostly run on pavement though. There's times I'll run gravel, dirt and a little bit of grass

Thanks ! I don't have a scale but by comparison, I'm guessing 6 lbs ?(without battery).The esc goes into 1st stage temp with one 2s 6000mAH pack running at 0 C outside. I want slightly more power and be able to run 2 or 3 packs. I wonder if the sidewinder 8 could be geared to run good performance on 2s ?

Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks ! I don't have a scale but by comparison, I'm guessing 6 lbs ?(without battery).The esc goes into 1st stage temp with one 2s 6000mAH pack running at 0 C outside. I want slightly more power and be able to run 2 or 3 packs. I wonder if the sidewinder 8 could be geared to run good performance on 2s ?

Mario
    I wouldn't run it on 2s. If only running 2s and maybe 3s later on I'd go with the 2650 motor. It had plenty of power on 2s and awesome on 3s. I use to run a hobbywing wpsc8 and a neewer 2650kv motor in my pede. Now it's in my sons slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I wouldn't run it on 2s. If only running 2s and maybe 3s later on I'd go with the 2650 motor. It had plenty of power on 2s and awesome on 3s. I use to run a hobbywing wpsc8 and a neewer 2650kv motor in my pede. Now it's in my sons slash.
    That's what kind of performance I am looking for ! I don't want crazy power right now ,maybe later.I am looking at your recommendations now.What gearing did you use ?
    Thanks again.

RC poster
    Gotcha, yeah I don't know even what these weigh stock but I did see that esc have a weight range, I did not know that. Stoked to see what you throw in there.

I would go for the hobbywing sc8 120a esc which can run 2-4s and the newwer motor that Er33 mentioned but also look at the leopard 4065 2700kv both are 4 pole beast that can be run on the lipo range that you require bro..peace

I guess it's looking like a mm2 and 2650kV combo ? I'm in neck deep with this truck.May as well go all the way………

I guess it's looking like a mm2 and 2650kV combo ? I'm in neck deep with this truck.May as well go all the way………
    That combo is awesome and the customer service and support is second to none dudeyou have picked a winner....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You'll like it. It's a lot easier to control imo.

What gearing would you guys recommend to start ? Stock ?

RC poster
    Hey Mario you like those a-arms and also you think it transfers the load to other areas? Reason I am asking is because I just got done breaking my RPM one and I was wondering if it is a worthy upgrade. Thanks

So far so good but not many runs on them.If you go aluminum you might break the bulkhead where the pin goes through instead.I think if you want to keep your truck handling and performance the same,stay plastic and get another RPM.If you go aluminum,you'll eventually have to go all the way.That's my newbie philosophy with may change with real world experience.So far,I've sent my p4de 6 feet up off a cement skate park half pipe a couple of times and they didn't bend or break.I don't know how often I could get away with that though...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What gearing would you guys recommend to start ? Stock ?
    If you went with the 2650? I ran 21/50 on 2s. Even 19/54 is good

Thanks.I'm ordering some stuff now.I'll get some gears.

RC Racer
    hey Mario- maybe u could help me out. im trying to figure out what fuse to use in a 62 Gibson skylark gf5 amp. has no fuse in it now, want to see if it will fire up. its been in storage since 1970, belonged to my g father,now my son plays and I want to pass it on. perhaps you could suggest a resource or website. thanks ahead, amd sorry for hijacking thread. cant wait to see whats next for your truck!

LOLOLOL !!! Could it be a ga5 ?
    http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/GA-5.pdf
    Looks like a 1A slow-blow
    Mario

Is it one of these ?
    http://www.angelfire.com/blues/rocki...lark_ga_5.html
    Last edited by Marioffroad; 11-19-2014 at 10:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm geared 19/52 with a 2650kv motor running 4s. But, currently running on-road Road Rage tires at the moment. Temps are fine, not even hot enough to break out the temp gun yet.

Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    I'm geared 19/52 with a 2650kv motor running 4s. But, currently running on-road Road Rage tires at the moment. Temps are fine, not even hot enough to break out the temp gun yet.
    4s ?? Too much power for this newbie.Thanks Brian.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice, I will stick with the RPM arms.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlaroo View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I will stick with the RPM arms.
    My pleasure.

Mario

Well after speaking to Dan at Castle, I ordered the sidewinder 8. I will make the jump to light speed.......uhhhhh I mean 3s.I can tone it down with the software.

Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well after speaking to Dan at Castle, I ordered the sidewinder 8. I will make the jump to light speed.......uhhhhh I mean 3s.I can tone it down with the software.

Mario
    Light speed. Did he give you gearing recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Light speed. Did he give you gearing recommendations.
    He said anything that will keep the motor below 180 for the whole run. He said if I had no reference to start with a 12t pinion and stock spur and go from there.

RC Racer
    mari- hey thanks a lot! it looks almost exactly like figure 5. any clue where to get a "slo blo". fuse I mean? on the gearing, with that much torque{side 8}, that seems awfull deep.

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    mari- hey thanks a lot! it looks almost exactly like figure 5. any clue where to get a "slo blo". fuse I mean? on the gearing, with that much torque{side 8}, that seems awfull deep.
    You can go to a electronic store,the source etc and ask for some 1A slow-blow and they will know.A slow blow gives a small delay before it pops that allows for the inrush current going into the transformer.
    Gearing is not something I've ever studied or worked with so I don't understand your comment.Can you explain ? I know I now have to learn about it.
    Mario

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast