Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioffroad View Post
    He said anything that will keep the motor below 180 for the whole run. He said if I had no reference to start with a 12t pinion and stock spur and go from there.
    I would start higher if running 3s. I have pinions range 15-24 I'm missing a few in between there

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I would start higher if running 3s. I have pinions range 15-24 I'm missing a few in between there
    I've got a 17(Traxxas),19,21(Robinson Racing) pinions.I've got a Robinson Racing Gen3 with a 54t spur and an extra 50T spur coming. Which combo do you recommend I start with on the sidewinder 8 ?
    Thanks ER33

Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are those traxxas pinions for a 5mm shaft

Are those traxxas pinions for a 5mm shaft
    I believe so. 32P for 5mm
    here's the link:
    http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001p?&I=RRPC8621

RC Racer
    Mario- you want to start w/ the smaller number pinion and keep going up numerically until something gets hot. smaller # pinions will give the motor more mechanical advantage(leverage) on the drive train. it will also make the motor spin more rpm to achieve a given speed. smaller pinion(or to small of a pinion) could make the motor hot from excessive rpm,as opposed to too large a pinion could make the esc hot, but will achieve the given speed w/ less rpm. your 2200kv side8 combo will want 3s or more to provide enough voltage(3s = 11.1volts)11.1v X 2200kv=24,420 rpm.thats not a lot in rc world. you would need to use higher# on pinion to get any speed out of this combo,luckily 2200kv motors tend to be torque monsters(torque is twist or force of spin or "grunt"). it wont need a lot of mechanical leverage to help it get moving. come on the rest of you smart guys here, lets get this guy sorted out. thanks for your help on the fuse! also, is this truck a vxl to start with? ive forgotten if you said already. if it is vxl from factory, I would go w/ your 15tooth pinion and 54tooth spur as a starting point. my brushed 4x4 has different axle ratios to start with and was geared 9t pinion 54t spur stock. shoulda seen the 1st run on brushless(sct/3800kv castle on 2s). it spun tires all the way to its massive 19 mph top speed. regeared to 22t pin/54t spur while still using original axle gears, and still on 2s, it now hits 45mph easy, and still wheelies anytime you ask it to, even from 10 mph roll, but u have to ask it to, w/ a large change in throttle. hope this helps
    Last edited by diggerdad; 11-22-2014 at 01:41 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't want to start at 15 pinion. That motor has way to much torque for that small of pinion all it's gonna do is back flips. Even if your at half throttle and give it more to go faster it's just gonna pull the front wheels up and over. I've done it. Only time I gear that low is if I'm pulling my son in his wagon. Even with me geared 22/50 it'll pull front up and over but it's easier to control with little throttle at take off then geared lower. Also if I'm at half speed and give it more it won't take off up and over all that fast. In other words that motor has plenty of torque to turn a higher gear pinion. I would throw in one of those Robinson racing pinions. Either one will work. Specially since you run in grass.

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    Mario- you want to start w/ the smaller number pinion and keep going up numerically until something gets hot. smaller # pinions will give the motor more mechanical advantage(leverage) on the drive train. it will also make the motor spin more rpm to achieve a given speed. smaller pinion(or to small of a pinion) could make the motor hot from excessive rpm,as opposed to too large a pinion could make the esc hot, but will achieve the given speed w/ less rpm. your 2200kv side8 combo will want 3s or more to provide enough voltage(3s = 11.1volts)11.1v X 2200kv=24,420 rpm.thats not a lot in rc world. you would need to use higher# on pinion to get any speed out of this combo,luckily 2200kv motors tend to be torque monsters(torque is twist or force of spin or "grunt"). it wont need a lot of mechanical leverage to help it get moving. come on the rest of you smart guys here, lets get this guy sorted out. thanks for your help on the fuse! also, is this truck a vxl to start with? ive forgotten if you said already. if it is vxl from factory, I would go w/ your 15tooth pinion and 54tooth spur as a starting point. my brushed 4x4 has different axle ratios to start with and was geared 9t pinion 54t spur stock. shoulda seen the 1st run on brushless(sct/3800kv castle on 2s). it spun tires all the way to its massive 19 mph top speed. regeared to 22t pin/54t spur while still using original axle gears, and still on 2s, it now hits 45mph easy, and still wheelies anytime you ask it to, even from 10 mph roll, but u have to ask it to, w/ a large change in throttle. hope this helps
    That's a great help for a newbie !! Sounds like you're getting the performance that I am after.My P4de was bought in september and is a factory VXL.
    1) Is your truck all plastic ?(no aluminum)
    2) What driveshafts are you running ?

Thanks Digger.

You don't want to start at 15 pinion. That motor has way to much torque for that small of pinion all it's gonna do is back flips. Even if your at half throttle and give it more to go faster it's just gonna pull the front wheels up and over. I've done it. Only time I gear that low is if I'm pulling my son in his wagon. Even with me geared 22/50 it'll pull front up and over but it's easier to control with little throttle at take off then geared lower. Also if I'm at half speed and give it more it won't take off up and over all that fast. In other words that motor has plenty of torque to turn a higher gear pinion. I would throw in one of those Robinson racing pinions. Either one will work. Specially since you run in grass.
    Thanks Er33.You're running 3s or 4s ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks Er33.You're running 3s or 4s ?
    I run 3s for now. Maybe later I'll get some 4s batteries

I run 3s for now. Maybe later I'll get some 4s batteries
    OK. I'l start with the 21 pinion and 50 spur combo then.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey Mario good news I think lol. If you run 2s you can gear it 16/50 or even like 17/50. I just ran it to see what it'll do. It wasn't fast at all first off. I didn't gps it but according to the speed calculator it says 25-26mph. I ran it for 15 mins none stop on throttle except for in turns. But my temps was really low. 81* on esc and 90* on motor.
    Last edited by Er33; 11-23-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Hey Mario good news I think lol. If you run 2s you can gear it 16/50 or even like 17/50. I just ran it to see what it'll do. It wasn't fast at all first off. I didn't gps it but according to the speed calculator it says 25-26mph. I ran it for 15 mins none stop on throttle except for in turns. But my temps was really low. 81* on esc and 90* on motor.
    Thanks ! I really appreciate you doing that !! If the 3s 21/50 is too much for me, i'll can go back to that.

With a low kv set up you want to gear fairly high because a under geared set up will over work the esc and make heat....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks ! I really appreciate you doing that !! If the 3s 21/50 is too much for me, i'll can go back to that.
    Yea you can go there or up a tooth. I figured I already gd it geared that for pulling. Might as well see what it'll do running on 2s. It wasn't too bad. It'll do wheelies even when pavement was wet still pulled them just not up and over like it would on 3s. Which is good. Even though I have a set gearing. I still like to play with it to see what my limits are. Now that I finally bought another 19 pinion since my son uses mine in his slash. I can try it and I didn't have a 21 so I got one of those. Here's my range 15,16,19,20,21,22,and24

Cool.My rc budget is definitely blown until after christmas.But now,that you,Digger and Spenn got me line up on the Sidewinder 8,I'll pickup some more gears after christmas to experiment with.

It's all about finding the trucks sweet spot for you and how you drive dude.....peace

RC Racer
    sounds like er33 has you dialed in. since his combo is closer to yours, I defer to his recommendations. in answer to your questions, other than sct/3800 and some fresh bearings/aluminum adapter, my truck is a stock,albeit regeared, xl5 p4de. cant wait to hear your 1st run stories! good luck.

Thanks again guys ! Have to wait for the parts now...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey Mario do you have a temp gun already or one in that parts list. Also if you haven't already you might want to check out the sidewinder8 and 2200kv thread. There's others that runs this combo you can see what they run for gearing and what their temps are. I seen different ones then how mine is then there's a guy janmichael his thread. He also runs a 2200kv he's around same gear as me.

Hey Mario do you have a temp gun already or one in that parts list. Also if you haven't already you might want to check out the sidewinder8 and 2200kv thread. There's others that runs this combo you can see what they run for gearing and what their temps are. I seen different ones then how mine is then there's a guy janmichael his thread. He also runs a 2200kv he's around same gear as me.
    Thanks.Yes I have a temp gun.I will also follow the other thread.

Mario

Yeah in this hobby a temp gun is a must and so are good tools....peace

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Yeah in this hobby a temp gun is a must and so are good tools....peace
    Who makes a good set of metric nut drivers ? 4 or 5 of the most common.
    Mario

Traxxas Marshal
    Who makes a good set of metric nut drivers ? 4 or 5 of the most common.
    Mario
    I like my Bondhus hex drivers; I have their ProHold ball drivers. With a lifetime warranty and affordable prices, Bondhus tools are hard to beat in my book.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I have been using arrowmax and so far they have been flawless bro...peace

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I like my Bondhus hex drivers; I have their ProHold ball drivers. With a lifetime warranty and affordable prices, Bondhus tools are hard to beat in my book.
    Thanks.Didn't know about them.

Never mind.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I have been using arrowmax and so far they have been flawless bro...peace
    Nice stuff !

Parts starting to roll in !

I'd like to hear your suggestions and experience on what diff lubes you use in the P4de for all around bashing including road use.
    Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use to run 50/30 then I went to 60/100. There's a big difference with my traction now. Before my truck would walk when doing wheelies now it's more controllable. Even coming out of corners

You might want to check out a thread in the slash 4x4 section on broken diff by elsob. Just a heads up

I use to run 50/30 then I went to 60/100. There's a big difference with my traction now. Before my truck would walk when doing wheelies now it's more controllable. Even coming out of corners

You might want to check out a thread in the slash 4x4 section on broken diff by elsob. Just a heads up
    Thanks again.I will use the xo-1 diffs just as they are for now.
    Mario

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks again.I will use the xo-1 diffs just as they are for now.
    Mario
    No prob. Don't want you to put it all together and have to redo it again after a few runs. I was gonna get some of those but I read that thread and decided not to. Funny thing is if you go into the revo side they all mention to upgrade to aluminum diff cups with the I bar or to a different style diff itself. Revo diffs are the same as what's in the stock diff of a pede vxl.

When you gettin your new motor and esc

No prob. Don't want you to put it all together and have to redo it again after a few runs. I was gonna get some of those but I read that thread and decided not to. Funny thing is if you go into the revo side they all mention to upgrade to aluminum diff cups with the I bar or to a different style diff itself. Revo diffs are the same as what's in the stock diff of a pede vxl.

When you gettin your new motor and esc
    Thanks I appreciate that.I'm trying to get some run time out of this thing !! I' m hoping the rest of the stuff is in by the end of the week.The expected delivery date is wednesday.

ahhh the old waiting game for quality products to arrivekeep us updated on the build bro....peace

ahhh the old waiting game for quality products to arrivekeep us updated on the build bro....peace
    Will do! What do you run for diff lube?

I use 50k in the front and 30k in the back and it's been sweet on all surfaces so far ..peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lol nothing like waiting on parts. Checking mail box or front porch or even the tracking number to see where there at and how much longer it'll be

Lol nothing like waiting on parts. Checking mail box or front porch or even the tracking number to see where there at and how much longer it'll be
    Just like kids !!! LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Parts starting to roll in !

I'd like to hear your suggestions and experience on what diff lubes you use in the P4de for all around bashing including road use.
    Mario
    Not to burst your bubble but, I would suggest selling those FLM diff cups or get your refund back, most guys went back to stock diff cups due to leakage.
    love the Tekno BB driveshaft but at full load it vibrate like doing a skip rope lol, I did a mod for that but these is for stampede 4x4 so its shorter than slash/rally, I doubt you'll have that problem

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    Not to burst your bubble but, I would suggest selling those FLM diff cups or get your refund back, most guys went back to stock diff cups due to leakage.
    love the Tekno BB driveshaft but at full load it vibrate like doing a skip rope lol, I did a mod for that but these is for stampede 4x4 so its shorter than slash/rally, I doubt you'll have that problem
    Man I really didn't need to hear that about the slash tekno center shaft lol. I just ordered one for my sons slash since the stock one bent twice. Oh well thanks for the heads up on that one

Just like kids !!! LOL
    Exactly
    Last edited by Er33; 11-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Man I really didn't need to hear that about the slash tekno center shaft lol. I just ordered one for my sons slash since the stock one bent twice. Oh well thanks for the heads up on that one
    I experienced the vibration when I was doing speedruns 60+mph (fyi stock driveshaft performed better lol) I heard this loud pitch noise almost like boat propeller but if your only bashing around I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast