RC Racer

Differential Questions

Can someone help me with this

1) Does putting a spool in solve the diff problem? or can i blow a spool

2) is it the plastic case that makes them vulnerable or lack of proper lubricant?

3) what should I take into consideration when choosing diff oil or grease?

4) and are the diffs the most import area to upgrade bearings i.e if I only had 40 bucks
    to spend on bearings, should i upgrade the ones in the diff, the transmission or on
    the wheels

RC Qualifier
    1) a spool would cause other drive train problems. (Drive shafts)

2) what plastic are you referring to? The diff cup? Bulkhead?

3) oil or grease.... Some use grease or silicone. Silicone offers more tunning to your liking. Grease works good. I'd say depends on the surface to determine what to use.

4) I would do either aluminum bulks or aluminum diff cups. Bearing maybe....what are your plans for the truck?

RC Racer
    Honestly; I drive on a bunch of terrains, but I don't do much jumping.
    I've been fortunate to never have blown a diff, even on 6s; but realistically
    I've sold off 95% of my rc collection and just kept 2 emaxxs and 1 stampede;
    so now i'm going to use the money to upgrade one of them. i.e. I need to keep
    working on something while I can still see and before my hands start shaking too much...
    so as I read through the forums and see all the diff problems, i realized its the only thing
    i haven't bothered upgrading, not a big fan of aluminum, weight and cost, prefer rpm products.
    but since i have extra money; starting to look into it. So since it's time that I do my semi annual
    maintenance, i thought since i'll be tearing down the truck, i can do some upgrades?

RC Qualifier
    I would say if your not into the aluminum, run the rpm bulks but at least run an aluminum diff cup to help with flex. Doing the 1/8th diff conversion will in the end extend the life of the drivetrain but yes it is expensive to do.

Diffs, bulkheads and a arms will be your weak spot on the Maxx. Another easy alternative to help the diffs out would be adding punch control to the ESC, which limits the amount of power at the first trigger pull. Kinda like traction control on a sense on a 1/1. That will put less your drivetrain.

+1 on what buggy said, also you can upgrade the diffs and get rpm bulks if you don't want to spend on al bulks.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9014194