RC Qualifier

brightest l.e.d lights kit?

Anyone know what the brightest light I can get is? I want to run at night and take some GoPro videos, but wait some light for the video, tried a mini mag light duct taped to the roof tonight, that didnt work. Going to order the rpm front and rear bumper with compatible light bucket things if that helps. Unless someone has a better idea. Ive thoight of just hot gluing them the the stock bumper but I will I want a cleaner install. Also can I run led lights off of a 9v barrery?

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer
    See the shade of the drill on the doors? That picture was taken daytime with the lights on in my place. Look into CREE leds, they are 3watts each, i have 4 of them on my truck. I can bet they are brighter than any lightbar out there thats for sale

You could always strap a bicycle Serfas Thunderbolt to the front bumper:

Max Lumens: 90
    USB rechargeable
    Features a 15-micro (double strength) LED strip
    Features a light silicone body
    Unique mounting system that allows for endless mounting possibilites
    Features a non-directional beam to cover a wider area
    Modes: high beam, low beam and two flash modes
    Run times: 1.25 hours (high); 2.5 hours (low); 4 hours (high flash); 7.5 hours (low flash)
    Highly water resistant
    Weight: 53 grams
    Comes in 8 different colors

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/668/refererroducts%7Cindex%7Clights%7Cheadlights%7Cpage:2

You can switch the straps it comes with (although they work) with O-rings for a cleaner look!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 11-20-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Or look at this if you're concerned about aestethics
    http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Hig...m4_p_2476.html

RC Champion
    Rpm light bar/bumper with 5mm LEDs. Bulletproof, bright, and nice looking. Not necessary cheap.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 11-21-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Yup... I modded that one and put it on my MERV with 3mm LEDs:

RC Qualifier
    The bigger the better, generally. I personally use the traxxas stampede lightbar on my monster buggy slash and they're pretty bright at night. If I feel like going total overkill, I strap my bike light to the truck's roof. 600 lumens!

RC poster
    Slash_ski more detail on the light kit you mention above?

630 lumins on this set that runs on 3S power:

http://www.rcmart.com/rigid-industri...k-p-58542.html

Quote Originally Posted by GaRMorris View Post
    Slash_ski more detail on the light kit you mention above?
    Hey there! If you are looking for anything LED, I can probably help. There are many factors that must be known first to customize a solution for your particular application. Here are a few things to consider.

How am I going to power the LEDs?
    What voltage will be used?
    How bright do I want them?
    Where do I install/position them?
    How long do I want them to be turned on?
    How do I control on/off?

In my experience, most of the guys I have built setups for want a few things above all else... they want them to look good, be easy to use and, most importantly, be very bright! Of course some options, like remote control of LEDs, requires the right controller/receiver combo but just about anything can ultimately be done. If you want bright, look at the SMD3030 module. They will output about 100+ lumens each in a 3mm x 3mm package! Depending on your vehicle and where you want them positioned, you could easily have a forward-facing 2000+ lumens that would make the average RC light bar look like a 40w light bulb! This is where your power requirements are needed. Depending on your vehicle and how you use it, I usually recommend a second, small 3S, like 1200-1500mAah, to run the lights. Obviously, if you only have a few small LEDs drawing 15-20ma each, no extra battery is required unless your RC running voltage does not line up to the LED voltage requirement.
    For instance, if you are running a 8.4V NiMH or a 7.4-volt 2-cell lipo and your LEDs require around 12v, you have a problem. Since LEDs come in a large variety of voltages, be sure to match them accordingly.

If your looking for any LED with color, whether static or addressable, then things get a tad-bit more complicated but still something that can be done by most enthusiast. I am trying to finish a project now (been months in the making) whereby anyone looking to add LEDs to their vehicle will have a list of guidelines to help with their selection. Since choosing the right components and making the correct electrical calculations requires understanding the basics, including formulas, I thought I would try to pay-it-forward to the RC community by offering something that falls into my realm of expertise. It's like any other advice on here... take what you want and leave the rest!

-C

RC Enthusiast
    howabout one of these and a seperate battery?

https://www.amazon.com/Colight-Light...LED+floodlight

Its a full size light, NOT scale.