Thread: Shocks

RC Racer

Shocks

So I'm still using the stock ultra shocks and have never tuned them or even opened them up to check the oil. I'm strictly using it on asphalt and won't be doing any jumps. I noticed when I turn or hit the brakes it looks like the front shocks have too much play. I've been reading everyone's rally projects and wasn't sure if I really needed to spend the money on the proline prospecs or simply change the springs.

Any recommendations?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    you can make the stock better with TiNi shock shafts and aluminum caps, balance it with proper shock oil and variable damper springs

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    you can make the stock better with TiNi shock shafts and aluminum caps, balance it with proper shock oil and variable damper springs
    You know you're a noob when you google "tini shock shafts" . Ok so I understand the titanium nitride and aluminum caps. But just so that I don't waste money seeing which oil and springs work best, can you give any specific recommendations for simply on road speed runs? I noticed that my brushless e revo came with spare red springs and 40 oil if they can be used....

Revo shocks are only $13 on ebay.

RC Qualifier
    The TiNi shafts and aluminum caps will make the shocks more durable, but I'm not sure that will solve the "play" you describe in the front shocks. It could be due to wear in the shock tower or a arms. Try adjusting the position of the shocks on the tower and arms if you haven't already and see if that makes any difference. I only run off-road, so I'm not sure what the appropriate shock oil weight/spring rate you could try, but I'm sure a quick search could get you an answer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think he might be talking about the initial "mushyness" that comes from the stock progressive rate springs. A set of Losi linear rate springs will easily solve that problem.

http://www.teamlosi.ru/techtips/spring_chart.htm

2" in the front. 2.5" in the back.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    I think he might be talking about the initial "mushyness" that comes from the stock progressive rate springs. A set of Losi linear rate springs will easily solve that problem.

http://www.teamlosi.ru/techtips/spring_chart.htm

2" in the front. 2.5" in the back.
    Can I use the Losi springs with the traxxas ultras? If not traxxas makes different progressive springs for the ultras right?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, they fit the ultra shocks, no problem. And if you go with big bores later down the road, you'll be able to use them too. If you go with the stiffer Traxxas progressive rates, you will just have the same problem where it's "mushy" at the beginning of travel, just a little less of it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    MrGrimm, I'm not sure what's going on, but I replied to your PM, then I checked my "sent" items and it's not there. Hmmmm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ughhh... Hmmmm... Still shows I didn't respond. Here was my reply:

No problem at all.

Those touring springs will not fit.

2.5 means 2 and a half inches tall. Those go on the rears.
    2.0 means 2 inches tall, even. Those go one the fronts.

"4.1 rate" "3.7 rate" etc. means how many pounds it takes to compress a spring 1 inch. The higher the rate, the stiffer they are. I use the blacks up front and the blues out back. Even though they are the stiffest ones, it's just right and not overly stiff. They really don't cost a whole lot of money, so you could order a few different rates for each front and rear and see what suits you best.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Ughhh... Hmmmm... Still shows I didn't respond. Here was my reply:

No problem at all.

Those touring springs will not fit.

2.5 means 2 and a half inches tall. Those go on the rears.
    2.0 means 2 inches tall, even. Those go one the fronts.

"4.1 rate" "3.7 rate" etc. means how many pounds it takes to compress a spring 1 inch. The higher the rate, the stiffer they are. I use the blacks up front and the blues out back. Even though they are the stiffest ones, it's just right and not overly stiff. They really don't cost a whole lot of money, so you could order a few different rates for each front and rear and see what suits you best.

Hehe I got them and responded. Who knows . thanks a lot for your help I got it now. Yea your right they are only a few bucks on eBay so I'll order a few and see which works best!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, it finally showed like an hour later that I sent the PMs. We had a CRAZY wind storm yesterday and our power and internet kept cutting out. That might have had something to do with it.

If you're only on asphalt go lighter shock oil and stiffer springs, then spend the extra $20 on sway bars you won't regret it. Depending on temperatures go 25w-50w I would go 30w in front and 40w in the back! But definitely get those sway bars!

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Yep. TiNi shafts, aluminum caps, Losi springs and anti sway bars. But, personally, number one for me would be better tires.
    Obstacle Magnet

Whats the difference between a shock body with losi springs and the proline powerstroke shocks? I know proline is made of aluminum, my question is focused on spring comparison. Does anyone own the powerstrokes?