RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

How's the telly?

Hey guys! I don't like to put my vehicles in water much because of the extra problems it can cause. I've been thinking of getting one vehicle to be designated as my water playing truck. I am thinking of a telluride, because the rollers can go for so cheap.

I'd wanna do some crawling with it a fair bit too. How do you guys feel about it crawling vs the summit? Would wider arms not help it side hill better? I would probably run a 21 turn titan on a mamba max on 4s, or on a velineon on 3s. 500K in the diffs and whatever crawler tires are recommended. Possibly a little weight in the front tires. Would that perform anything like a" real" crawler? I own a losi mrc and that little thing amazes me. I'd love to buy it a big brother, but a fluoride could be so cheap, and could be more multipurpose if I grow bored with this idea, or don't find terrain often enough to justify it.

I'd like a summit, but they are so expensive, and I have a revo 2.5 that is converted electric with a 3906 tranny, and dual titans that is sort of a summit. The 1st and 2nd gear are too close together for it to be very fast, though.

Anyway an all purpose water running rig that can crawl would be a lot of fun.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

I'm reading a lot of good things about the tellurides abilities when set up well. What are the pros and cons of the narrow track vs a wider track, from a crawling perspective? And for those of you who have chosen to weight your wheels, how much do you like on each half?

RC Racer
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    The Telluride is a good all-rounder right out of the box.

As long as you set it up properly and perform the necessary maintenance, running around in water is nothing to worry about.

With regard to the crawling ability, if you get a good setup it may surprise you. The narrow track is a bit more nimble in tighter spaces. I eventually went with the Slash 4X4/Stampede 4X4 arms and axles to gain a little more "flex."

That's my .02 that I can think of at the moment.

Thanks sir! I guess I could try them and see if I like it. I have a complete spare set of slash arms.
    I don't have an air compressor to blow them off with, and I have had trouble with bearings seizing and screws seizing, etc. I also don't fancy tearing the trucks down that often, especially with my slashes once I have them set up how I like. But this one will be just for that purpose and I won't care so much about how track tuned it is. I'll open up all the bearings and pack them with grease right off the bat. In my experiences they sometimes have very little in them.

RC Racer
    Use some marine grease, that'll do the trick. Pack the bearings, and use some around the seal of the receiver box.

For tires, should I modify 2.2 crawler tires to fit short course rims, or use the rpm wide revolvers? If the wide offset 2.2 rims won't affect steering too much in crawling situations, I'll just go with them. I know it makes a turning radius much larger on a track or something, but I wonder if it would be noticeable while crawling.

RC Racer
    I've only used the stock Slash 4X4 wheels and tires, so I can't really speak to the difference the other wheels will make.

However, if turning radius is a concern, I did try running the Stampede/Slash front diff and the Telluride rear diff. There was a very noticeable difference in the turning ability, but I wouldn't try doing a speed run with that setup because of the difference in gearing. Going nice and slow didn't seem to have any issues. It's something to consider and maybe try.

Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks for your help! Anyone else? Got a telly setup you are proud of you'd like to post?

I'm still waiting on the appropriately priced roller to...roll...along . I came across an extra 100$ that I was not expecting that I've set aside. I want to get as close to that as I can manage.

Once I do, I believe I'm gonna go with brushed pede diffs, with diff lock putty, or silly putty. Maybe some 750k, but silly putty is cheeeeaaappp. I've also read about using ear plug silicone? I would like the front to have a tiny bit of diff action for steering. I'm thinking of going with a 21T titan (I have a couple in the parts box) geared as low as I can get to work. Paired with a sidewinder or mamba max on 3s, or 4s. I have read that for crawling at least a 35 turn is needed in this truck unless you have a gear reduction unit, but I'm hopeful that with the diffs, low gearing, and high voltage, it can cut the mustard.

I have also thought of using one of my spare velineon escs, and picking up the cheapest ~2000kv sensored 2 pole motor I can find (if there is such a beast). Eventually I think a mamba max pro and a decent sensored motor might be the way I go. I've had good luck with a titan in my e converted revo 3.3 with a 3906 tranny on both 3s and 4s. I know that tranny has some gear reducing in it, though. The idea here is to build it as cheaply as I can, see what sort of potential it has for what I wish to do, and work from there. If there was a way to get drag braking from a vxl, I would probably try the vxl esc, 21T titan, and a great 3s pack to keep it all waterproof with no waterproofing magic.

My mind is still not made up whether to go with 2.2 crawler tires on rpm 2.2 rims, or modified 2.2 crawler tires on short course wheels, or just go with something like a trencher x sc tire. I watched a telluride review video that spoke very highly of trencher x's with hpi soft foams. Or maybe the short course swampers...Oi...so many choices in deciding a tire.

I feel like I will definitely weight the front tires right off the bat. In my experiences with my losi MRC, weighting the front end is one of the most important modifications. Maybe just a little weight on the bumper to start, until I see how much higher speed stuff I do with it when I play.

It looks like I might even be able to build one from dollarhobbyz fairly economically. I already have a few bits. Motor mount, would stock slash 4x4 carriers and steering blocks be identical?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I already have a few bits. Motor mount, would stock slash 4x4 carriers and steering blocks be identical?
    You can use them, they are the same but the arms and driveshafts are shorter which you already know it

My question is, are the diffs the same as with P4de XL-5?

I wonder too. I don't think so, since many guys swap them in. Mine will have the xl5 diffs either way, for sure.

I'll probably play with different arms. I don't know if I'll be in tight enough places to need shorter arms, and I know longer arms will give me more travel. I'm actually thinking slash arms with pro line pro Trac rims, which of course have very little offset.

Are slash 4x4 shafts any tougher? If so I will run them but cut them down.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 12-14-2014 at 02:12 PM.

I've been wanting to build another P4de and with the price diff of xl-5 its tough to beat lol.
    You and me man, let the dollarhobbyz frenzy and start the build
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-14-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Are slash 4x4 shafts any tougher? If so I will run them but cut them down.
    I've always wonder what differ between the stock driveshaft to HD driveshaft as they look the same to me.

You know what? I'm game! I already have carriers, motor mount, and perhaps a center shaft if slash shaft has the same splines. I have a stock steering assembly, and probably a body that can be used. Given that, and that I would swap diffs anyway, I might just be better off to build from dollarbobbyz than to purchase a roller.

Would you guys go gtr shocks, or stock ultras if you were purchasing them fresh for a build? I have a set of stock ultras, but I decommissioned them from my slash because one shaft was bent, and I straightened it, but it wasn't perfect and had a knick. Might sti'll suffice temporarily to get me started on a budget.

I think I've decided on g8 compound 2.2 pl tsl swampers as my tire. Perhaps cut for short course wheels.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 12-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have a set of the 2.2 g8 swampers and fit them on the stock SC rims that came on my telluride. If you cut the bead out of one side of the tire, it will set down in the rim nicely. TAKE YOUR TIME. A pair of curved Lexan scissors works great for it too.

That's what I was planning to do if I went with short course rims. I can't make up my mind yet whether to keep it narrow, or go wider :/.

I've also been wondering if the extra sidewall of 2.2 tires would be beneficial?

How do you like the g8 swampers?

RC Champion
    The Extra sidewall should work well, as it should allow the tire to deform more and grab the rock or what ever the obstical is.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

That's what I was thinking. That's why I'm still undecided about 2.2 or short course wheels.

I'll probably go beadlock short course, just for the fact that I would be able to swap tires and add weight inside the rim so much easier.

RC Champion
    Another advantage of using beadlocks is weight, they already carry more wheel weight than a standard rim of their size and it's all low on the chassis too. If it were a go faster rig, I usually don't like beadlocks due to the adverse effects of that weight on acceleration, braking, and cornering, but on a crawler or trail rig, the unsprung weight is pretty useful for keeping the tires planted, just like when putting the battery on the upper arms of a comp rig or the battery box mounting on the chassis at one end and on the axle at the other end like on the new Vaterra Ascender.

The swampers are large enough there would be a fair bit of sidewall either way. I run 3.2 maxximizer beadlocks with 2.8 badlands on my slash, so I'm not afraid to trim a tire .

RC Competitor
    I love the swampers so far. They grip everything. One of the reasons i went with them is there size, knowing I was gonna cut the sidewalls to fit the rims. I have a set of Losi Rock Claws(5" tall) that I first did this mod with and they turned out fine, still crawl good but didn't leave a lot of inner sidewall to flex and move. The taller swampers(5.4" tall) turned out great, ride smoothly, and still have lots of sidewall flex.

It's looking like about 90$ builds one off of dollarhobbyz. I have a lead on a trade for an axial 27t motor and some r35 rip saw tires. I'll either try running them with wide hexes, or trim and mount to a short course tire. I will still need to buy a 2075 servo.

Anyhow this seems doable, and on budget. I've never assembled a truck from scratch before. I've torn one down for maintenance, but that isn't quite the same as building one fresh. I'm thinking putty in the rear, 750k up front.

I thinking about building one too it would only cost me 106 dollars on dollarhobbyz
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

Yeah, my order came up to 102$ shipped. I put mine together with stampede 4x4 shock towers, which are half the price of telly towers, no axle carriers since I have some already, no electronics and no tires. (No body) Really not bad at all I don't think. I got brushed diffs, btw.

Does anyone have experience with an axial 27t motor? Since it is 540 can And the titan 21t is 550 can, will the 27 t still have more torque? I'm still certain the titan will be a beast on 4s, but then I have to have a brick of a battery installed.

Are there any jeep cj bodies for these things? Something close to a 77 cj7 would be ideal, but I guess I could make any cj body be close enough (not a wrangler body!)

RC Champion
    No CJ's that I know of, most of the bodies that I have seen used are a hair on the long side WB wise.

Maybe a scrambler body from that era? I guess if I could find an older style wrangler body it would be close enough. My dad had a bright yellow cj7 when I was a little boy. Renegade package, brown hard top, 304 headers and side pipes. Ahhh she was sweet .

RC Champion
    A CJ5 would probably be good, if one was made.