Thread: Alias for X-Mas

Alias for X-Mas

Hi all, I'm going to get an alias for christmas. Its getting closer... So I'm just thinking should i order spare props, motors, spur gears, extra batteries?
    As for accessories , I'm going to get a camera for it hopefully soon so i'll have some time to use it over xmas break. So here is a link to the micro sd card i plan on getting, let me know if this is capable enough. I like to get quality stuff so i think this is more than capable but just making sure http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SDHC...item3f419523b7

And for $10 a batt i'll order at least another one or two, depends how much $$ i get for xmas also.

And any beginner tips or tricks? Ive never flown a quad copter before, only had those cheap rc heli's from "toys r us" so this will be my first copter of any hobby grade kind. Im also getting the rally along with this. I'll ask about that in the rally forum.

Thanks in advance!

Tip: learn to fly well before installing the camera.
    I'm just sayin'.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Don't take off too easy. It will basically slide sideways and run into something.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Its a class 10 card... It will do very well.

Practice hovering in all orientations before doing forward flight then move to simple circles and figure eights. They are pretty easy to learn and then once you get comfortable, you will progress very easily. Don't fly in expert mode until you have mastered hovering and pattern flying in the two beginner modes. I don't have any drifting issues with mine on lift off, but if yours does, just pop it in to a hover. Be careful not to over accelerate when you do this though as the Alias can come off the ground pretty fast and climb quickly.
    Definitely hold off on flying the camera until you are comfortable flying just the Alias itself. If something happens, and you lose it, better to lose just the Alias then lose it with the camera .

A couple sets of props, a set of gears, set of mainshafts, and a set of motors will keep you going quite well .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

Thanks for all the replys.
    I'll hold off on the camera for right now, i'll just get some spare parts as "spoonerrw" said

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Don't take off too easy. It will basically slide sideways and run into something.
    So your saying just gun it to take off... Lol i got what your saying. I noticed it even when i had those cheap rc heli's

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Tip: learn to fly well before installing the camera.
    I'm just sayin'.
    And i get your point about holding off on the camera. Thanks, wasnt really thinking about that.

Another question, how often to props break? Do they break when you crash into something (like a wall, or a tree etc.)?

I think they break more if you keep applying throttle as it crashes. I've had mine get caught in a wind or get out of range or I just lost it on agile mode. When I see it going to crash and I can't save it, I cut all throttle and let it crash. I've slammed into trees, tracter trailers, slammed to the ground upside down. My Alias is scraped, scratched and scarred buy I've never broken a prop or replaced a motor, gear or spindle. Still completely Factory stock..

Props may blush a little, but they very rarely break. Frames are very rarely broken as well, but I managed it in cold weather by piloting my Alias in "javelin mode".
    I had just that day finished the inverse-green color scheme.
    FWIW, everything else survived fine.

RC Qualifier
    wow ksb51rl... that like rarerly ever happens! I love that color scheme on the canopy. nice thing about this Alias... parts are cheap and it is a simple matter to replace anything on it .

@iZach98... I have been flying mine now (three of them) for a year. in all that time I have physically broken three props and that only happened when I hit the asphalt from flips too close to the ground. I have hit buildings, trees, plowed them in to the grass countless times from all heights high and low and never even damaged a drive gear or a main shaft. you will be pleasantly surprised at how tough these things are .

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    Another question, how often to props break? Do they break when you crash into something (like a wall, or a tree etc.)?
    FWIW, I buy props to change colors, not because of breakage. I'll admit that some get a little nicked when playing aerial tag with/against another Alias, buy not even close enough to warrant replacement.
    I have black, white, blue, green, & orange props. The red doesn't do it for me, so I've never bothered. I'm with spoonerrw in wishing for YELLOW.

Also FWIW, I recently picked up this parallel charge cable on eBay from Apex RC products. The construction is better than I would have guessed. Quality 4mm bullets, 12AWG main wires and 20AWG JST wires equals one beefy cable (for sub-1Ah, 1S cells). I had batteries to charge and after making sure they were all very close in voltage, I charged them all with my Powerlab 6 @ 0.4 Amps. Using this gentle charge, they were done in 57 minutes. Just another gift idea... IF you can find one.

Remember, the batteries all need to have the the same number of cells and be at a very similar discharge state because they will try to balance with each other immediately through the parallel cable!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-07-2014 at 02:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    FWIW, I buy props to change colors, not because of breakage. I'll admit that some get a little nicked when playing aerial tag with/against another Alias, buy not even close enough to warrant replacement.
    I have black, white, blue, green, & orange props. The red doesn't do it for me, so I've never bothered. I'm with spoonerrw in wishing for YELLOW.

Also FWIW, I recently picked up this parallel charge cable on eBay from Apex RC products. The construction is better than I would have guessed. Quality 4mm bullets, 12AWG main wires and 20AWG JST wires equals one beefy cable (for sub-1Ah, 1S cells). I had batteries to charge and after making sure they were all very close in voltage, I charged them all with my Powerlab 6 @ 0.4 Amps. Using this gentle charge, they were done in 57 minutes. Just another gift idea... IF you can find one.

thanks for sharing that cable ! I couldn't find the apex brand but found one identical to it... I grabbed one .
    yep, a yellow Alias would be awesome, you cant beat the visibility factor. I am glad I don't have to paint props or frames but very rarely. just a touch up to small areas once in a while .

@ksb51rl i was planing on getting the latrax duel port charger. And maybe an extra battery or two. My dad ordered the alias from tower hobbies, and he ordered another battery for me, so maybe i'll buy one or to so i have some extras. I mean for $10 you cant really go wrong.

Another question, i know this might sound stupid but what do you mean by "FWIW"?
    My little brother is also getting an alias so we might play "aerial tag" sounds like fun! So i'll order some extra props.

@spoonerrw i have seen a few videos on YouTube of the alias flying, they look to be very stable and durable. I like the part of the video from Latrax that they run it over with a bicycle just to show how tough they are.

I really like that all the parts are cheap so its not crazy expensive if you break it.

Props may blush a little, but they very rarely break. Frames are very rarely broken as well, but I managed it in cold weather by piloting my Alias in "javelin mode".
    I had just that day finished the inverse-green color scheme.
    FWIW, everything else survived fine.

Wow, its really takes a lot to break these things, but under the right conditions anything has a breaking point. The cold and plastic don't really do well together.
    I like the color scheme to, nice job! To bad it broke. ($10 later its fixed, lol)

FWIW = For What It's Worth

I was trying to fly like spoonerrw but Expert 2 mode bit me a couple/few times that day. The breakage seen there is a result of cumulative damage from crashing on a cold northern New Jersey evening. The LEDs and sometimes the silhouettes were all we could see at the time. The damage did NOT happen during tag. I don't get too aggressive during aerial combat.

I am still waiting for the frame. They are readily available, but mine is getting the tour of the country from USPS for some reason. If I had known it would take almost two weeks, I would have been using the original black frame temporarily.

RC Qualifier

I was trying to fly like spoonerrw but Expert 2 mode
    I am a bit too fearless with these, lol. I did this one time and it was only a small crack in the same spot down the side. I was trying to go from a funnel to a diagonal too close to the ground and smacked the asphalt right on the gear well end .

wow! two weeks? gotta love ordering this time of year .

@iZach98... here is how tough these things are. I was doing night flying with my yellow one a couple weeks ago doing hard multiple stunts in expert 2 mode with both rates set a 100%. triple diagonal, too low, plowed it right in on the asphalt and the blades were still turning under power (it always knows where the asphalt is for some reason, lol). the Alias didn't even get a scratch to the frame but it split a blade almost 3/4 the way down its length. it not only still flew, but I finished out the battery doing stunts! I changed the blades after though . yeah, when they ran over it with the bicycle... I was sold and I am completely satisfied that all of them have lived up to the reputation Traxxas set for them .

ok, and the light bar... is that a good investment? is it a neat thing to add? or just a waste of $20? anyone have it?
    thanks @spoonerrw i guess since it comes with a set of spare props i won't need to order any right away.
    what about mainshafts? should i order spares?

RC Qualifier
    ok, and the light bar... is that a good investment? is it a neat thing to add? or just a waste of $20? anyone have it?
    thanks @spoonerrw i guess since it comes with a set of spare props i won't need to order any right away.
    what about mainshafts? should i order spares?
    the light bar is actually very good for orientation visibility at distance or at night... especially at night. you can change its angle from straight forward to any position until it points all the way down. for me personally, it was a good investment since I fly pretty far out at night and this light bar is VERY bright. it has no effect on battery use either, so it is win-win for me . I tinted both of mine because they are almost too bright. one I tinted yellow to match my yellow Alias and the other I tinted red to match my white Alias accented with red light tubes and props.
    on the spares... a set of main shafts and a set of drive gears for sure. I would also pick up a spare set of motors if you possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    the light bar is actually very good for orientation visibility at distance or at night... especially at night. you can change its angle from straight forward to any position until it points all the way down. for me personally, it was a good investment since I fly pretty far out at night and this light bar is VERY bright. it has no effect on battery use either, so it is win-win for me . I tinted both of mine because they are almost too bright. one I tinted yellow to match my yellow Alias and the other I tinted red to match my white Alias accented with red light tubes and props.
    on the spares... a set of main shafts and a set of drive gears for sure. I would also pick up a spare set of motors if you possibly can.
    Thanks, i figured it would help in the dark to orient it.
    Not really sure how much i'll have to spend on extras right now, but i'll get a few things for sure. Should i stick with the stock motors for now? Or get the MMW motors "dark edition"? (When they are back in stock)

RC Qualifier
    the motors are really your choice Zach. I have seen both good and bad in all the options available. as I mention in another thread here, especially with the dark edition motors, make sure you do not have a crash under power. originally, Benedikt had a warning listed with those motors that warned that you will fry your board on a powered crash due to the overcurrent being in excess of 4 amps. he later removed that warning, don't know why, but just be aware that it is possible. maybe he changed those motors somehow to protect from this? most who have flown these motors love them very much, they actually swear by them and their power

the motors are really your choice Zach. I have seen both good and bad in all the options available. as I mention in another thread here, especially with the dark edition motors, make sure you do not have a crash under power. originally, Benedikt had a warning listed with those motors that warned that you will fry your board on a powered crash due to the overcurrent being in excess of 4 amps. he later removed that warning, don't know why, but just be aware that it is possible. maybe he changed those motors somehow to protect from this? most who have flown these motors love them very much, they actually swear by them and their power
    Yeah, i'll hold off on upgrading the motors. Maybe i'll get a spare set of stock ones. Where is the cheapest place online to get stock motors (set of 4) ive found some on eBay for about $25-28.

Also i have my own paypal so i can order stuff on my own and i just add money through my parents paypal if they owe me money or if i help around the house etc. so anyways i have $20 in there now and i cleaned the basement for another $15 which they owe me and i think they might owe me for allowance to. So i'll have to see what they owe me and add it all up. Might be able to get the light bar, mainshafts, spur gears, duel charger, and motors.

I also have the pay pal because i sell metal work on Etsy.com (search Zach's Metal Works) i also have a facebook page (just search it, or pm me for a link) so i get paid through their cause i spend most of my money online cause its cheaper most of the time.

RC Qualifier
    that is actually about the going rate for the stock Traxxas motors Zach and I pick them up on ebay as well sometimes but usually just deal with mark twain hobby when I need something for my three .

don't get me wrong on the MMW motors and dont discount them as an option. all I am saying is practice flying and get your skills down before you go with something like the 17's. I hear they are very impressive in power. the 15's were pretty impressive in power too but they didn't last long in my case, only 9 flights before they lost their punch but i will say that Benedikt is totally committed to his customers. the first set he sent were bad out of the package. he sent me the second set no questions asked and told me that he wouldn't be satisfied until i was satisfied and that says a lot about his integrity. i didn't feel right about asking for a third set and just let it go. i have tested the new second generation Traxxas motors and i am very happy with them, so i decided just to stick with those .

Thanks, yeah. Thats what i figured. Not to bad though, under $30 for all 4 motors. Cant really complain.
    Im not putting the MMW motors out of choice, just not right now. I'll probably give em a try later on once i get the hang of flying and all.
    Thats great costumer service if you ask me.

So now my papal balance is $37 what should i buy first?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, yeah. Thats what i figured. Not to bad though, under $30 for all 4 motors. Cant really complain.
    Im not putting the MMW motors out of choice, just not right now. I'll probably give em a try later on once i get the hang of flying and all.
    Thats great costumer service if you ask me.

So now my papal balance is $37 what should i buy first?
    this is just my opinion, and what I would do . you wont get it until Christmas, parts are very easily found and cheap to buy so there is no worry there. why don't you just hold off for a little while, maybe a week, and check out different places and compare prices with shipping . you really don't need much to keep the Alias flying and it already comes with extra props. so, a set of gears, main shafts and one set of motors are really all you would need .

this is just my opinion, and what I would do . you wont get it until Christmas, parts are very easily found and cheap to buy so there is no worry there. why don't you just hold off for a little while, maybe a week, and check out different places and compare prices with shipping . you really don't need much to keep the Alias flying and it already comes with extra props. so, a set of gears, main shafts and one set of motors are really all you would need .
    Yeah, i'll wait to order spares of some parts as you said. The thing is there are no hobby shops anywhere near me, i know of one that is about an hour and a half away, but i cant go there just for a part, so i order stuff online, and usually a couple of them if i can. Just in case.

RC Qualifier
    Other than the motor fiasco at first release mine has been awesome. One broken blade...mailbox under power will do that. Last motors have been running for several months now with no issue.
    Considered the replacement motors early on, as Traxxas was having supply issues. But now they aren't frying as easily and are more readily available.
    As suggested, stay with stock until you feel you have the stick time. You don't want to put new goodies on board and promptly fry something from an on power crash!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, i'll wait to order spares of some parts as you said. The thing is there are no hobby shops anywhere near me, i know of one that is about an hour and a half away, but i cant go there just for a part, so i order stuff online, and usually a couple of them if i can. Just in case.
    I am in the same boat Zach... no hobby shops within 50 miles. I do all my ordering online and have found that most suppliers have stuff to me in less than a week. you really wont need much with the Alias, so a single set of a few common wear things will last for quite a while as long as you don't have any severe crashes, and even then, I doubt you will need much either . just take your time, progress within your comfort zone, and don't move forward until you are ready . like goodie1977 says, don't worry about upgrades or blinging it out until you are past the crashing phase and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by goodie1977 View Post
    Other than the motor fiasco at first release mine has been awesome. One broken blade...mailbox under power will do that. Last motors have been running for several months now with no issue.
    Considered the replacement motors early on, as Traxxas was having supply issues. But now they aren't frying as easily and are more readily available.
    As suggested, stay with stock until you feel you have the stick time. You don't want to put new goodies on board and promptly fry something from an on power crash!
    Thats good to hear. so even though i'll order an extra set of motors. Can i call up latrax under the warranty? Will they send me s new set. I have had them send me a titan motor for my slash. Very good costumer service.
    Trust me i will put some stick time in over xmas break. A whole 2 weeks of flying, and driving the rally im getting to.

I am in the same boat Zach... no hobby shops within 50 miles. I do all my ordering online and have found that most suppliers have stuff to me in less than a week. you really wont need much with the Alias, so a single set of a few common wear things will last for quite a while as long as you don't have any severe crashes, and even then, I doubt you will need much either . just take your time, progress within your comfort zone, and don't move forward until you are ready . like goodie1977 says, don't worry about upgrades or blinging it out until you are past the crashing phase and comfortable.
    Yeah, not a very good boat when your rc breaks and you dont have the part you need...
    Yeah, i'll hold off on accessories at the moment.
    But my grandma wants to get me something for xmas and she spent a lot this year, so i was thinking of getting the camera and sd card and a set of motors from her. She said just find something online and use her credit card. So i'll get all that off of eBay. But i'll practice before i get the camera installed.
    And then i'll have some money for props and gears, mainshafts and all that good stuff, maybe after i get some stick time in i'll change up the frame or canopy colors a little. Not sure what color i like the best tho, I'm getting blue. Ive seen one all white one and it looked pretty cool. Maybe a white canopy with blue props and blue leds in the front... Got some time to think on that still.