RC poster

Wheel shim spacer mod

I just picked up my LaTrax Rally and started tinkering. Some black electrical tape on the tires and a dorifto we go!

There is a fair bit of slop in the wheels out of the box. This makes for inconsistent steering and drifting. I have some beveled washers from work that are the perfect size.

6.5mm ID, 11mm OD, 1.5mm thick. A 1/4in shim that is 1/16in thick should also work.

Place the beveled edge towards the race. This rounded edge makes for less friction. The brake discs fit right in just like stock.

The stock axle has a lot of in/out play to it. This takes up that slack in the axle and holds the wheels a bit more true. The bearing kit should fix this completely, but I can't argue with a quick and dirty fix like this. The car does steer and drift better. The thickness of the washer is perfect and reassembly is easy. No need to stack the shims.
    Last edited by RallyCritter; 12-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.

RC poster
    I got curious and added another pair of these shims up front. This removed all of the slop in the steering except for what movement is inherent to the parts themselves. I don't know if the track width is any wider in the front vs. the rear. The steering is much more direct.

Despite having "slick" tires, this little thing still wants to powerslide and then hook up straight. It imitates a rally car much better than a drifter, which I'm sure is what Traxxas intended. I'm still happy with it. You could put grip tires on a drifter and have a grippy drifter. This is a drifty rally car, instead .

RC poster
    Bump.

I have since upgraded my bearings and axles. This mod does not work very nicely with those upgrades. The purpose was to remove the slop in the wheels. Upgrading the bearings and axles does away with that slop at the wheel.

What happens with the shims is that they grind against the bearing when in reverse, and they unscrew the wheel bolt. It was kind of funny to watch.

I suspect this would work better with a plastic shim and not a metal washer. However, you would be back to replacing something for little benefit.