RC poster

Alias motors still problematic ? what to check on a 2nd hand Alias ?

Hi there... I started on quad's and got hooked bad

So I bought a Hubsan X4 ( never flew or did any RC before ) and after a few propellers and a few days, I got the hang of it - running imaginary missions around the house, terrorizing the cat and the wife.

So after a week ( or so ) I upgraded myself to the Hubsan 107D ( the FPV one ) and while FPV and cameras where my main reason to get into the quad cene ( I was mesmerized by a DJI going through some fireworks ) , I found FPV... well.. dull...

After a few more days, I managed now to fly both quads around the house ( still terrorizing the wife and the cat ) and doing more agressive stunts - rolls indoors ( floor height is not that great unfortunatly ) , doing medium speed bank turns, landing on the cupboards, down the chairs, around the table, etc.

So I started ( two days ago ) by flying outdoors and... oh man. Its a joke with the mini quads - they are perfect for indoors but the slightest whiff of wind and while they are top notch calibrated, they drift like no tomorrow ; I can hover perfectly and compensate with the wind, but if it starts to catch up a bit ( like a delicate breeze ) the whole thing is madly unstable.

Searched in the classifieds and found a guy selling is Latrax Alias ( hes going for a DJI ) with the following mods :

- black edition canopy
    - black motors from MMW
    - Alias 720p camera
    - 6 extra batteries
    - 2 extra set of new props
    - 1 extra set of new OEM motors

So here is my doubts :

-- although I'm excited like a 2 year old, I read a lot about the Alias and its motor doom failure ; do they do really only last 5 hours ? cause with 6 extra batteries, thats around 50-60 minutes of flying time.. if I do 30m of flying time... a brand new set of motors only last 10 sorties ? every 10 times out I have to buy a new pack of motors ? ouch..

-- any "good maintenance" tips on the motors or other parts ?

-- I asked the guy ( hes delivering the Alias tomorrow to me ) to have a test flight in front of me, see if the gyros are OK and all that jazz - anything else to check ? ask him to do flips ? what ?

-- the quad looks like new ( at least in the pictures ) and the props the same - anything particular to look out for ?

-- if I buy the propeller guard, its possible to fly the alias indoors ? or that would be a nonstop hitting and terrorizing the house inahbitants ? just keep the Hubsan's for indoors and the Alias for outdoor ?

Sorry for all the questions, been reading a lot in this forum, thank you all for your help !

RC Qualifier
    depending on the price and how much it has been flown... it seems to be a pretty decent set up. I have some sad news for ya on the motors though... NO brushed motor in that size is rated beyond 5-6 hours. break that down by roughly 8 minutes of flight time for each flight and you are looking at roughly 45 flights. even the MMW motors state that this is what their 15's are rated for but don't know about the 17 (dark edition) motors which I cant imagine are any different as they are more powerful and are still brushed. my very first set of "original" stock motors went for 58 flights before one gave out. I got the most flights on a set of V959 motors which still all work, but got too weak at 79 flights. I only tried the MMW motors (15's) twice. the first set was dying out of the pack and the second set lasted 9 flights, then lost significant power. that scared me off from buying any more from them, but many people have had excellent success with those motors, and the 17's. Traxxas now has their second generation motors out and in the Alias and people so far have reported little to no issues with them, and, they are also much cheaper now.

maintenance wise, nothing really to do. check the gear wells out once in a while and make sure that they are free from any dust that might get in to the bearings. check your gears for missing teeth or cracks in the webbing, and that your main shafts are not bent following a crash. if you know you are going down, the second you realize it, cut the throttle immediately and let it fall. don't try to power it up if any of the blades are obstructed by things like tall grass or tree limbs, etc. some have fried a motor this way and if severe enough... you can fry a board, especially with the dark edition motors which have an overcurrent draw, or something like that, in excess of 4 amps which was stated on the MMW site which they specifically said "you will fry your board" if you crash under power. that warning was later removed, don't know why? they may have changed something to protect from this?

many have flown very detailed flying patterns indoors, so if you have enough space, sure... you could still terrorize the cat and the wife . remember though... Christmas is coming and you might not want to terrorize Mrs. Clause to much, lol.

the Alias will surprise you in wind! it can handle quite a bit and I have flown mine in as high as 20mph. you have to remember though that if you are flying in either the first two modes with accelerometers, your angle of pitch will be limited making it hard to keep under control. I don't fly those modes, just in expert. expert mode gives you full control on your angle of flight making it very easy to compensate for wind. but if you are not ready for expert mode, work in the first two modes until you are, then you can tackle some winds .

hope this helps
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 12-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    Well, first of all, thank you so much for being one of the 50 people who read my thread and took time to write something

Second, quite a privilege - I've read the traxxas foruns back to back and I see ... well.. read your posts quite a lot !

Third, well I've bitten the bullet and bought the thing. Forgot to ask the seller how many flights he had with these motors.. but I've flown a bit already with this and.. WOW.

Its fast, sensitive but very, very stable. It pretty much can hoover indoors all on its own - its a tight space and its quite impressive. Even spending two batteries on calibrating the gyro of my Hubsan's, I never ever got this close to a perfect hoover. Its really outstanding.

And ****, this thing is fast. Yes, can be flown indoors ( very low tolerance for errors, since getting this through doors and under chairs its quite tight ) but this thing screams "OUTDOORS !!! GIVE ME SPEED !!! "

Few questions :

-- where do I buy the "new" Traxxas motors ? I've read the 4 holes / no holes / two holes dillemma - after all, how can I indentify the new motors ? ebay stores that carry them ? buy them directly from traxxas ? just forget it and buy new 17's from MMW ?

-- i've read people buy carbon fiber blades for this, which are much better than stock - where to find them ? one of my stock ones seem to have taken a couple of hits ( plastic colour is much lighter )

thank you a lot !

GP

RC Qualifier
    you are very welcome and it sounds like you are hooked . yes, the Alias is quite impressive and the stability is pretty much unmatched with other quads in its size range and class.

the motors, just email the ebay seller before you buy them and have them verify which version of the stock motors they have in stock. if they don't respond... move on to someone else who will. the truth is that main stream suppliers like Mark Twain Hobby now only carry the newest version, and at the same price or lower in some cases. the original version motors had four holes on the motor can top under the pinion. a "modified version" was released using those motors but with a tape cover of some sort covering the holes. the new version are a solid can with no holes on the motor can top.
    as far as the MMW 17's go... I really cant advise you on those as I have no experience with them. I do know that they are very powerful and have seen some impressive videos of the Alias flying with them. a few people also mentioned though that the Alias is a bit on the twitchy/sensitive side with those motors, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing . if you go for a set, let us know how they work out... video maybe?

I am not familiar with CF blades for these? none that I know of that are direct fit plug and play? it is possible that some have adapted the CF blades from another quad to the Alias, but I have not seen that anywhere myself. I personally wouldn't be interested in CF blades for this quad. the stock blades are only a couple dollars a set, they are really very durable for being just plastic, and they don't require anything weird to make them fit, lol.
    light nicks on the edges within reason and light scratches really wont hurt anything, believe me... I know . now if you have breaks and cracks, yeah, definitely replace them but I wouldn't worry too much about superficial damages and you really don't want to keep replacing blades for that kind of minor damage every time you have a spill. some may say that anything visible will affect balance and stability, but I can tell you from personal experience that I have seen no evidence of that, and, I don't bother with balancing them either. if you come across a set of blades for the Alias in CF... I would be very interested in seeing what they look like .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.