RC poster

9.2V on a 8.4V battery?

Hi. So I bought a Slash Robby Gordon Dakar and it came with a 8.4V 3000mAh 7 Cell battery.

The battery is working fine but I would like if someone could explain to me why I tested the voltage of the battery with two multimeters and both indicate 9.2V on the battery after charging it

9.2 sounds about right when it is fully charged. Its like LiPo batteries. They are rated for 7.4 volts but after charging they actually reach 8.4 volts.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    Oh ok thanks
    I didn't manage to find precise info about this. I will search better next time, but I was already panicking xD
    Thanks again

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    And also one more thing is that its normal for nimh batt to be hot as its being charged, I don't know if you noticed that and one thing for sure is, when you feel like its time for you to jump to lipo, you'll never going back to nimh

Quote Originally Posted by CamPerspective View Post
    Hi. So I bought a Slash Robby Gordon Dakar and it came with a 8.4V 3000mAh 7 Cell battery.

The battery is working fine but I would like if someone could explain to me why I tested the voltage of the battery with two multimeters and both indicate 9.2V on the battery after charging it
    The rated 1.2V is a nominal Voltage which I believe is something that was established by discharging a fully charged NiMH cell down to 1.0V at 10C discharge @ 20 Celsius (or something close to that). Without load a freshly fully charged 7 cell may measure at around 9.8-10.1 Volts

1.2 is nominal voltage, you can use the nominal voltage as a description for a pack.
    ie. 7.2V = 6cell nimh
    7.4V = 2cell lipo
    8.4V 7cell nimh
    9.6V 8cell nimh
    11.1V 3cell lipo
    A single charged nimh cell is Roughly about the 1.5V area, but can be upto 1.6V
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC poster
    Thanks

I suppose I can't charge a battery beyond the nominal voltage? Say for example a 7.2V NiCD 1600mAh?
    (My wall charger says output: 9.6V 500mA. Maybe I'll just cut the wires from a 5.5V 350mA old phone charger)
    Last edited by CamPerspective; 12-12-2014 at 12:41 PM.

The nominal voltage is lower than charged voltage. I don't know what your planning with the phone charger/power supply but it will not charge a 7.2V battery.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC poster
    Hi newb question, just got a Telluride 4x4 and wondering what would be a better choice, 5000-8.4v NiMh, or a 2s-7.4v 5000 NiMh, battery? I'm running the stock setup. Thanks.

Get 8.4v one. You dont seem to understand the other type of battery yet. 2s is a LiPo battery.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    I got on one battery (5000mah) 9.9v and on another (3000mah) 9.77v.
    The batteries are 8.4v.
    Is it OK?