RC Competitor

Traxxas ID connector backwards compatibility

Thought this deserved it's own thread. I know I wondered if it would work.

ID male to old Traxxas female battery worked fine (see pics). ID female Nimh battery worked fine with my old charger with no additional adapters(no need for balancing on Nimh).

Basically the only time you would need adapters is if you buy a LIPO battery with the new traxxas ID female connector(because of the need for balancing).

RC Competitor
    The nimh charger male connector has tabs that prevents charging old non ID traxxas. Probably to prevent plugging in of old non ID lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Great thread... if it wasnt for this thread i wouldnt have bought the xl-5 id low profile, i truly thought it would match up thanks bro...
    Burn it...

RC poster
    So,will the new Id chargers charge batteries with the old plugs?

Yes, both chargers have legacy ports.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Wondering if I'm reading this wrong. I have a new Rustler that came with the DC charger for ID battery. I also have an older Stampede with nonID Traxxas batteries. The old Traxxas battery will run in the Rustler with the new ID connector, BUT new ID charger will NOT accept the old Traxxas battery. Is this as it should be or should I be able to charge my old style battery connector in the new style ID charger and I'm just doing something wrong?

RC poster
    My apology to be the one to reply to my own post. So I realized there is a plastic tab inside the new ID charger preventing it from accepting the old connector. I had my son remedy that with his pocket knife. Now I am able to charge the old Traxxas batteries as well as the new ID ones. Problem solved.

On another note, I just realized that I first logged on as a member here almost 5 years ago and these are my first two posts. There was a reason I chose to read and not post. These two posts are why.

Quote Originally Posted by MKCx2 View Post
    On another note, I just realized that I first logged on as a member here almost 5 years ago and these are my first two posts. There was a reason I chose to read and not post. These two posts are why.
    I admit that I don't understand your point. There is nothing wrong with your posts.

FWIW, the little tab is there to keep people from charging iD LiPos with that charger.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    So can we plug a lipo battery(old connector) in the ID connector???

Yes. The ID connector is compatible with the older high current connectors.
    The Super Derecho