RC poster

New Gen ID Connector Part #

What's the part number for the new 4-pin "ID" connector female?

In other words, the 4-pin version of http://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=3080

I can't find one.
    I have not seen any offered for sale yet either.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Mini-rant here, sorry.

I really wish they would not have changed this... the RC world has way too many proprietary connectors already and adding another one is very annoying and frustrating. The gen one high current connector works just fine and I don't see why they feel like phasing it out. It seems like they changed the connector type specifically for their new "ID" powercell batteries and the new EZ Peak with Auto Battery Identification, which I didn't think was necessary. It looks like all their models will eventually come with this new connector pre-installed, which is really lame because I was looking at getting another vehicle soon, and I want all my connectors to be identical. I guess I just wish they would have made the two connectors compatible with one another to make things easier.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogg2112 View Post
    Mini-rant here, sorry.

I really wish they would not have changed this... the RC world has way too many proprietary connectors already and adding another one is very annoying and frustrating. The gen one high current connector works just fine and I don't see why they feel like phasing it out. It seems like they changed the connector type specifically for their new "ID" powercell batteries and the new EZ Peak with Auto Battery Identification, which I didn't think was necessary. It looks like all their models will eventually come with this new connector pre-installed, which is really lame because I was looking at getting another vehicle soon, and I want all my connectors to be identical. I guess I just wish they would have made the two connectors compatible with one another to make things easier.
    There is some backwards compatibility. There will also be I'm sure adapters for chargers. Every scenario I can think of let's you keep using old with the new and new with the old.
    Last edited by almach1; 12-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.

RC poster
    Actually, I think the new connector is SIMPLY AWESOME.

It's precisely what we've been waiting for: A single connector that easily handle the high current AND has the balancing wire built in.

Let's hope Traxxas is smart enough to license it to EVERYONE at reasonable rates so it quickly becomes the de facto standard.

The only thing it needs for a "dream connector" is some form of strain relief - maybe a version with a short tab at the back with two indents so you can use a cable tie to implement low cost strain relief of the wires.

Anyways, Traxxas, we would like to solder a lot of toys to the new connector - what's the part number?

I would vote for 3090, would be easy to remember

RC poster
    Mini-rant here, sorry.

I feel your pain and agree 100%.
    IMHO there are two reasons why:

1. Each "inventor" of a new connector believes his superior invention will take over the market and annihilate the competition - how has that worked out so far?

2. We don't have have a good connector YET. Why? The balancing leads are not robust enough. UNTIL NOW
    Finally, we have a single, robust connector that does high current and balancing.

Let's pray that the Traxxas management team has read Sun Tzu and strategically provide their competitors with wiggle room by easy licensing of the new connector at reasonable cost to everyone.

Maybe a few words from the Traxxas marketing kahuna here?

Mini-rant here, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by almach1 View Post
    There is some backwards compatibility. There will also be I'm sure adapters for chargers. Every scenario I can think of let's you keep using old with the new and new with the old.
    I'll add almach1's own post, thanks to him for this:

Thought this deserved it's own thread. I know I wondered if it would work.

ID male to old Traxxas female battery worked fine (see pics). ID female Nimh battery worked fine with my old charger with no additional adapters(no need for balancing on Nimh).

Basically the only time you would need adapters is if you buy a LIPO battery with the new traxxas ID female connector(because of the need for balancing).

Perhaps the new version was meant to counter the rogue companies that rip off others' intellectual property and make lots of money selling inferior products based on designs they neither spent the time to design, test, or market. Of course, if enough people paid attention to such trivial things as legal, ethical, and moral principles, there would be less need to protect one's products in such a way.
    /counter-rant

Now if we could only get a part number...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a lot guys for responding to my off-the-wall mini rant! It definitely makes me feel more at ease knowing there is some compatibility between the two. I guess my concern is whether or not they'll be converting all ESC connectors on all models to the new one. I know I can just cut the connector and solder on whichever type I feel like using, but I just don't feel people should be forced to do that because RC companies refuse get along and come up with a universal connector type. I appreciate all the input and if I find out what the part number for the new connector is, I'll be sure to post it here if it's not already

The new battery tech is to help people coming into the hobby with little to no electric experience. If you have a Id nimh or Id lipo battery and our 2970 Id charger. You simply plug whichever Id battery in and the charger will recognize which battery chemistry you have and start charging.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    The new battery tech is to help people coming into the hobby with little to no electric experience. If you have a Id nimh or Id lipo battery and our 2970 Id charger. You simply plug whichever Id battery in and the charger will recognize which battery chemistry you have and start charging.
    Nixhex32, would you kindly forward my comments regarding an open connector standard to your marketing Kahuna?

RC Competitor
    I'd be interested to see how complicated it would be to convert your own batteries to ID type. Most of us got good at soldering because of RC cars. If I could make it safer for my kids to charge their own LIPO batteries it would be awesome. I wouldn't mind buying traxxas charger for this purpose(not sure about the batteries).

I got a nephew who I helped trick out his RC car, but only give Nimh batteries so he won't blow himself up.

RC poster
    I'd be interested to see how complicated it would be to convert your own batteries to ID type. Most of us got good at soldering because of RC cars. If I could make it safer for my kids to charge their own LIPO batteries it would be awesome. I wouldn't mind buying traxxas charger for this purpose(not sure about the batteries).

I got a nephew who I helped trick out his RC car, but only give Nimh batteries so he won't blow himself up.
    Wish I had an uncle like you, Almach1

I'd say the ID system is the answer to your concern.
    I would still expose the nephew to risk reduction behaviour e.g. using a charging bag, not leaving it on the carpet, etc.

RC Racer

Traxxas Connector Power Tab incompatible with new Traxxas ID conncectors

The Traxxas 6541 XO-1 Connector Power Tab is incompatible with the newer Traxxas ID system. Is anyone aware of a power takeoff plug that is compatible with the new connectors?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZCHHVG/...I2WAMG4N363MZV

I may just solder the Voltage Sensor lead directly to the upper end of the ESC positive lead.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nixnax View Post
    What's the part number for the new 4-pin "ID" connector female?

In other words, the 4-pin version of http://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=3080
    Looks like there is finally a way to get an ID Connector - you order part number 2938 and cut off the charger side.

Dear Traxxas - when will you offer solderable ID connectors? ( And I almost bet this question will again NOT be answered. )

I am not aware of any plans to sell the iD connectors as a separate part.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    I am not aware of any plans to sell the iD connectors as a separate part.
    Thanks for the response - I'm disappointed though that it has to take 10 months to get a simple answer.

On the bright side, we now have a way to get there: part number 2398

You posted this already and this thread has more than run its course.