RC Enthusiast

Slayer Pro Trx 3.3 Issue (Help?)

I just picked up a slayer for my own little Christmas present and on the 4th tank of breaking it in, it locked up. So the next day I drove to the nearest hobby store and picked up another 3.3 (pull start). I got through 5 tanks for the break in and then on the 6th tank (keeping the engine on the rich side for "safety") it locked up again. Will traxxas replace my engines or am I just s.o.l.?

Very tight motors in the beginning. Read the last post under this one. Be patient and give it time to loosen up, it's not locked up. Traxxas will not replace for that but will give you support if you need.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the quick response, I'm almost positive the first one is locked up, I can't turn it over at all by grabbing the flywheel but I'll have to dig into my pull start 3.3

Easy way to tell if it's locked up is to remove glow plug and turn the flywheel. If it's tight going to TDC then you have a good pinch and the motor is fine. Depending on the temperatures I find in the summer I never have problems, but come winter I have the same issues both of you are having. Patience is a virtue.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    I hope you are right! I'm kind of a gear head and man these nitros are a blast but thank you very much! What do you prefer as far as a 2.5 vs 3.3?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm new to the hobby so any advice is great to hear!

Depending on what I am doing. I prefer the power of the 3.3 but they are finicky to tune. 2.5 is an all around fun motor to bash with, has never let me down and easy to tune.
    My Slayer is about 6 months old and I never touched the carb settings yet straight out the box. Very hard to break in but after the 4th tank I could not control this monster. Suggest sway bars when you get to run it at top speed.
    What you gonna do with that good spare motor?
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    I jumped the gun and got my sway bars on already lol but if the motor with the easy start really is locked up I may just do the traxxas engine replacement and get a 2.5, i have never heard anything bad about them and I'm just a guy doing this for fun so I don't need that crazy power the 3.3 puts out

Wow never heard anyone going backwards. Hobby shop should pay you to go backwards.
    I think both motors are still good and you will enjoy the 3.3 in the Slayer once it is up and running. IMHO the 2.5 would not do it justice.
    I also just do this for fun with my son. 30+yrs and still having fun.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Lol well I just tested the easy start and she lives! I really appreciate the help sir!

your Welcome! Have fun and Happy Holidays to ya.
    Stampede/Rustler

Another tip if you are breaking it in in cold weather. Wrap the head with a sock, alum foil, or tape a paper towel or rag around it to keep those temps up where they should be for break in. You want it to be around 230F or a little more at the glow plug throughout your break in (at least 220F minimum), and if you don't have a temp gun definitely get one.

Like said in previous posts tight motors are good. Most likely what you are experiencing is the engine stalling and then the piston is sticking at TDC. You can also take a hair dryer or heat gun and heat the engine up prior to starting to make it easier.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 12-29-2014 at 03:37 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I had my engine all bundled up in a sock and stayed about 240-250, other than getting stuck at TDC the one time it went pretty smooth. Even had a chance to rip around with it and must say I can't wait for spring!

why wait for spring?
    Stampede/Rustler