Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

The first ever mwe piece by piece build.

Not much to say here yet. Other than I am going to build a multi purpose rig here out of a telluride. I want it to focus on crawlability, and be able to do some moderate speed bashing. I'll use it for water playing, and try to keep my other vehicles out of it.

I have a set of axial 1.9 r35 rip saw tires on the way I have traded for, as well as an axial 27t motor. I will experiment with that, and a 21t titan. Passing the power on to the motor will be a castle sidewinder esc. No idea what body I'll use. Perhaps a Chevy pede body I've already painted.

Are telly front bumpers and slash front bumpers different? It looks like maybe the telly bumper does not stick so far forward, and rises at a.sharper angle. If I'm right, I'll be starting out with a slash bumper, and changing it later.

Eventually, I dream of this being powered by a sensored 2000ish Kv motor, Maybe 2500-2800 if that is still low enough to crawl? I also dream of a jeep cj or older wrangler body, and g8 compound swamper tires. The diffs will be puttied, perhaps 500k in the front. Most guys seem to think 500k isn't thick enough, though?

What happens if diff fluid and putty are mixed?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Some pictures of the playground. It's a spot I enjoy frequently kayaking to, hiking around, camping at, and playing in the water.

RC Competitor
    Nice playground and nice project!
    I'm building a Telly too and my missing part are in the mail. My project is almost the same as your but i'm still looking for good tires. Is the 1.9 tires will fit on your Telluride? What wheels will you use?

1.9S sorta fit. It requires the use of wide grey hexes, and knuckle trimming. They are coming with r35 ripsaw tires from axial. I was able to trade for them, so no out of pocket cost at the moment, which is why I'm gonna make them work for now. They are similar in size to stockers, but a better compound. They should do very well until I can get what I want. Then they will reside on my losi mrc .

I'm also considering running slash arms, for more travel, but I wanna try stock first. I'm not so sure I need to be narrow running where I'll be playing, and it's not like I need to fit through comp gates or anything. I'd imagine I'll slap the velineon system in there some while I'm at that bash site too. There are a lot of spots that would be fun jumping and climbing with more speed. And some shallow water areas.

I will eventually run pro line swampers, of that I'm sure. Still not decided on short course beadlocks or 2.2 rpm revolvers. Probably short course beadlocks so I can easily break the wheels down and adjust wheel weights or swap tires.

I'm open to any and all suggestions for tires though. From my internet scouring, it seems the swampers do the best for dry rock, wet rock, and mud. The other crawler tires I read about were good at one or two of those categories, but not all three.

Wheels and tires I'll use. Man I hope I can make these 1.9's work. They seem to be a great compound!

Motor candidates. The 21t titan has the solder tabs broken off. I'm not sure if that can be remedied. I have others, but this one is the best shape.

Esc candidates. The mamba max needs repairing. Castle says they can repair it for 20$. Heck of an esc for $20. With an external bec it can run 4s. I think I'd ultimately like to have the titan 21t on 4s. Torque, and a little speed. It runs for 30mph in the emaxx on 4s, so maybe I could get about that with this.

These two titans are still strong, but as you can see They are soldered to run on an esc with only two leads.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post

Sorry for the picture overload. I'm sorta proud : D. I've only painted two bodies before. The first was a solid color, the second a solid color with an easy water drop effect and a monster energy M done with a stencil. All easy stuff. This was pretty easy too, but I have never done any masking like this before. It isn't perfect, but I don't think it's too shabby.

I started with a base of tamiya pearl clear. Then tamiya flourescent green, backed by tamiya light green (the flourescent is sort of translucent, so I needed a solid opaque color behind). The blue and blue splashes (done with an old toothbrush) is tamiya blue. Just "blue", I think. Translucent silver on the bumpers in about a million coats to make it not so translucent. I tried a metallic black and green carbon fiber effect on the bed, and sort of failed. I did learn a little for next time I try it, though. I will probably cover it up with black duct tape cut like a sticker.

I practiced with a blue/green carbon fiber. At the last minute I decided I needed black there instead of more blue. I needed a different pattern drawer liner, it should have been flatter, and I should have sprayed less paint through the liner. And I should have stuck to green/blue or silver/black.

What do you guys say? Leave the windows clear, or tint them?

Easiest to quote from the original thread, but possibly the body. It's a pede body?

Whoa that was fast! There is a whole telluride sitting here, waiting to be assembled. Merry Christmas to me! Haha

RC Champion
    "I built it ooooooonnnne piece at a time.................."
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

I've ordered some moo slick from cow rc, and a container of their "udder butter". I'll pack the bearings on one half of the truck with that, and grease on the other side. I'll see if either one performs significantly better at protecting them from water after some time. I'll treat all the screws and metal stuff with the moo slick.

RC poster
    Just fyi you will need stampede pinion gears as the telly uses a diff ring an pinion set. the diff only comes with the ring gear and the center driveshaft you ordered comes with the telly pinions.

Ahh good to know! Should have ordered the pede brushed center shaft set then :'(. Thanks!

I filled the front diff about 3/4 full of silly putty, and the rest of the way with 500k. My lite experiment. We'll see if that allows a hair more diff action than straight silly putty for better steering.

Here is the rear diff. I cleaned it out, cleaned all the parts with acetone and a toothbrush, then filled it with putty. I can't turn either diff with my fingers. I have to put Allen wrenches through the holes in the diff outputs to rotate them, and the front does feel just a bit more loose.

Next up is to pack all my bearings while I wait on the new pinion gears that match the ring gears to come in. This udder butter from cowrc seems pretty sweet. I'm also gonna soak my sidewinder in corrosion x. I know it is supposed to be waterproof, but I think water "proof" is misadvertisement.

I don't suppose a 12v dewalt motor Will fit?

Stock bearings have nothing in them.

This stuff is supposed to be very water resistant, and resistant to running out. Dunno, we shall see.

All packed now! I have all the bearings packed with grease. I've also coated most of the parts that I think need it with some moo slick from cow rc. It's a silicone based spray that is supposed to prevent corrosion, leave parts smooth and lubricated, and not attract dirt. I coated things like the driveshafts, shocks, hinge pins, and the outsides of my bearings with it. I'll also hit the head of each of my screws.

I'm thinking of trying to use some rtv sealant to seal my diff cases .

I want to take a vote. What to do inside the diff cases? A) white lithium grease. B) regular old grease. C) the moo slick that I've been using for a mostly dry coating. D) something else.

RC Competitor
    I will try the marine grease for my bearings. I'm running a lot in snow and with regular bearing lube, my bearing still rust.
    I'm doing maintenance on four RC (me & sons) and hope the grease will help me a little bit
    I tried the diff lock lube im my Stampede 4x4 rear diff and it realy did the job. It's a little monster with the Proline Sand Paw.

The grease in the bearings helps them Last MUCH better in wet conditions! After greasing them, run the truck slow for a few minutes, to sort of run the bearings in. It may work some extra grease out.

Alright, go easy on me. What do I use to weight the wheels? I've gathered there is some sort of lead tape, and I believe there are some adhesive stick on weights. I'd like to acquire both. I'll try sticking some on the premounts I already have, and I'll put some inside the beadlocks I'll have in the future. I also have some small "sandbags" from some ankle weights I used to have, full of some sort of metal flakes. I will try using some of the "sand" from inside in a small pouch or something behind the bumper.

I'm gonna get down to the meat and potatoes of this very soon! My fiancÚ is a teacher, and I've been waiting on her to go back to work before I start wasting Time we could be spending on my toys. We don't get that much quality time together normally.

I have a novak sct 5.5 sensored motor. It's 3700Kv, 2 pole, 550 can. I know 3700 kv is sort of high, but geared as low as I can get, with the brushed diffs, does anyone think it could crawl?

I'm thinking of trying my own "pro trac" kit for the telluride also. Using slash or p4de stock arms, but the zero offset rims that come with the pro line pro trac kit for the slash. The rims should suck the width back in to almost the same as stock, but the steering should be greatly improved, and maybe the suspension geometry. I know the slash guys say with the pro Trac kit their trucks steer and handle much better, and that the suspension just works better. Even through the tire to tire width remains the same.

RC Racer
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    I'm gonna get down to the meat and potatoes of this very soon! My fiancÚ is a teacher, and I've been waiting on her to go back to work before I start wasting Time we could be spending on my toys. We don't get that much quality time together normally.
    Kudos for keeping your priorities straight.

That said, I'm interested to see how this build turns out... especially after seeing your "playground."

Got a little done today. Assembled the diffs/diff cases, and filled the cases with white lithium grease.

I'm coating all screws and most parts with moo slick. I'm also coating the outside of my bearings with moo slick.

I used some acrylic latex caulk to seal the bottom. Probably not necessary, but I hope to have a truck I can get wet, and disassemble for maintenance, and it be just like it is now! I was gonna use rtv gasket maker, but this was lying around.

Some pictures of the "mushout.

We have a start!

Just a few more playground pictures. Haha. These are some of my buddies. None of whom are into rc though :/.

I have an hpi gru coming. I may not use it, but it was only 10$. I'm considering using a sensorless motor with the sidewinder esc, and the gru. Geared so low, would I still cog?

I also have a novak 5.5, 3700 Kv sensored motor I could try. Would that still be too high a kv on 3s with the gru?

With the sensored motor, I have to try waterproofing my mmp, and hope some grease around the sensor plugs protects them. I've burned up the sensor before already. So that may make that a bad idea All around.

I think the 21t titan is still my best bet. I just don't know what kind of speed it could give on 3s when/if I wanna gear it up.

I would love some guidance within the options I've laid out.

Gru with 3800Kv 4 pole 540 motor on 3s sidewinder esc.

Gru with Novak 3700Kv 2pole sensored motor on 3s, but with mmp esc, treated with corrosion x to.waterproof. But motor sensor?

Sidewinder, 21t titan, 3s.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 01-04-2015 at 07:02 PM.

RC poster
    I went to my local tire place and asked for some 1/4 oz wheel weights.I got a total of 8oz's. 2 oz per tire. they use them on aluminum wheels. The guy gave them to me so I gave him 10$ for lunch. Worth a try. They work awesome inside the tire secured with electrical tape.
    Scott....Telluride Crawler

Thanks! I'll head to a tire shop, and/Or an automotive parts house to see what I can find. I may try to weight the a arms first, so that I don't add rotating mass, and see where that gets me first. I even considered some aluminum arms to add some low weight. I'd go with integy for once. Haha!

Assembled the rear last night, I had a few minutes of spare time.

I am creating some bearing shields wherever I can. It's an idea borrowed from El Sob, he uses it to protect motor bearings.

Piece of foam.

Cut to fit.

Soak in grease. I usually use white lithium, but I'm trying regular grease on the rear this time.

Old tire foams work. I used a low density foam here that was used to pack something I purchased. The tire foam is denser and didn't work quite as well right here. I've done this before on my slash with success.

RC poster
    The wights I got are small 1/4oz squares, can put them just about anywhere... maybe 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch?
    Scott....Telluride Crawler

Ill have to work on locating some of those. I know what you're talking about, I'm just not sure where to get them.

I have the front and rear nearly all finished. I've only gotten to work on it a few minutes here and there, and I'm trying to be meticulous about it. I used Teflon washers with the camber links instead of the metal washers. The little metal washers seem to add slop, whereas the Teflon washer tightens it up a bit. I tried to lube everywhere there is movement, and protect with grease or lube everywhere I feel water or grime may be a problem. I used a dab of silicone one screws that I have found like to back out over the years, any gave each screw head a light coat of moo slick.

DOH!

The 1.9s seem to be fine with the grey hexes. I also have a washer between the grey hex and the rim on the front. At full lock they juuuuuust touch where the camber link attaches. I'll keep my eye on it, and shim more or trim if necessary.

The front isn't quite finished, but it won't take but a few minutes to finish. Assembling the rest shouldn't take much time at all. Soldering up wires on my titan is about the toughest thing I have left.

I still want to send my mamba max off to be repaired, but that'll be later. Then, with a bec, I can use 4s. The sidewinder will have to do for now. I hear it doesn't like 3s. We shall see!

Got a little done today. Assembled the diffs/diff cases, and filled the cases with white lithium grease.

I'm coating all screws and most parts with moo slick. I'm also coating the outside of my bearings with moo slick.

I used some acrylic latex caulk to seal the bottom. Probably not necessary, but I hope to have a truck I can get wet, and disassemble for maintenance, and it be just like it is now! I was gonna use rtv gasket maker, but this was lying around.

Some pictures of the "mushout.

We have a start!

Just a few more playground pictures. Haha. These are some of my buddies. None of whom are into rc though :/.

I have an hpi gru coming. I may not use it, but it was only 10$. I'm considering using a sensorless motor with the sidewinder esc, and the gru. Geared so low, would I still cog?

I also have a novak 5.5, 3700 Kv sensored motor I could try. Would that still be too high a kv on 3s with the gru?

With the sensored motor, I have to try waterproofing my mmp, and hope some grease around the sensor plugs protects them. I've burned up the sensor before already. So that may make that a bad idea All around.

I think the 21t titan is still my best bet. I just don't know what kind of speed it could give on 3s when/if I wanna gear it up.

I would love some guidance within the options I've laid out.

Gru with 3800Kv 4 pole 540 motor on 3s sidewinder esc.

Gru with Novak 3700Kv 2pole sensored motor on 3s, but with mmp esc, treated with corrosion x to.waterproof. But motor sensor?

Sidewinder, 21t titan, 3s.
    That Novak will crawl well just about any way you want to set it up as long you have the sensor wire connected. If you want to go 60+ mph it will still crawl with the Mamba Max Pro.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I'm gonna try it. I'd love to go with about a 2000Kv sensored motor so I wouldn't need the gru. I'm not even sure the large can And gru will fit in the chassis yet. But anyway if I was running about 2000Kv, I could crawl around on 2s, or toss in 4s+ and go fast .

RC Competitor
    When I run mine on 3s I make use of the trainer mode.
    Not only does it cut speed in half but the throttle response is slower allowing for smoother crawling.Try it out.
    Thats with the vxl-3s esc.

I won't be using the vxl (no drag brake) but perhaps I can play with the throttle curve and some other settings on the esc!

Is itn't great building piece by peice, looks like its coming a long fine.
    Man that playground and camp site is just awsome....can't wait to see some videos of that.....nice project;
    Live life to the fullest

Thanks!

My friends, I present to you....MWEt! (Cause at the moment she's about as attractive as e.t. was...haha)

I'm waiting on all the thread locker to set, but she's together. I have some loose ends to tie up tomorrow, and I'll give it a test run. It needs another body, but this will do for now. It shows way too much chassis, and the wheelbase is a little short. I hacked up a slash bumper, which I will trim and sand tomorrow. A new body, bumpers, and wheels and tires will come eventually.

I believe the foam shields on the diff outputs and inputs are going to be very effective .

Oh yes I did...

Makeshift receiver box. Haha. I planned to use one I had in the parts bin, but it won't fit in there decently much of any way.

I'll try several different motor options out, but this is where I'm going to start. It feels like the suspension might be a bit too stiff right now, so some softer springs may be in order. I wish I had an awesome looking beautiful rig to post up for you all, but for right now this is how she looks.

RC Competitor
    That's awesome!

RC Competitor
    Fitting my scx10 1.9 walker evans wheels made me want to narrow my suspension alot more to nake a scale 1.9 rig.Crazy that these rims fit and most 2.2's don't.

I agree. I still think I'm gonna wind up using some of the zero offset rims that come with the pro line pro Trac set. That will really suck things in. Right now steering is lacking with the wide hexes. I don't care about my rig being super narrow. I think I'm gonna go with pede arms, but the zero offset rims. Hopefully, that'll give me stock ish width, but tighter steering.

I just beat around the yard a bit, and I think this thing and I are gonna love each other!. I may not even need to try other motors. This titan has decent wheelspeed on 3s, and good torque. The silly putty is a great choice. It pulls all 4 all the time, but when I get a wheel bound up it lets it slip. It's very capable for an unconventional crawling platform! I have enough speed to jump it . I might try getting a video of me playing on a wood pile or some rocks in my yard.

The slash bumper is definitely holding me back, as well as the smallish tires. However , they do grip well, and I'm thankful to have been able to trade for them to keep this cost low. I'm maybe 150$ in right now, for what I believe is better than a new rtr truck.

RC Competitor
    I perfered my Stampede with telluride arms over my scx10 on trails.
    Another thing that hurts steering going slow is the 30 degree front kick up.I think if a rear diff housing fits the front, id cut the chassis, mod it so that there is no kick up.
    Then there is very mi imal servo saver.

I'm gonna follow what you do to yours. Tighter turning would make this thing perfect. I would like to play with aftermarket shafts, knuckles, and some shimming to get rid of some slop. I think that would help. I may very well try some aluminum arms too. Just for the weight.

I did notice that the servo saver hurts you a LOT. It will get an strc unit set tighter eventually. As soon as I get done sorting through it all, I'm gonna post up some pictures and videos. I played for at least two hours on one 5000 3s pack and it still isn't done. Titan and sidewinder never got hot at all. That may have been the most rc fun I've ever had. Playing along outdoor trails is lots of fun!

Some pictures!

Just the truck getting ready to go

Front end weight. It's a dewalt bit container full of lead sand from an ankle weight.

When it warms up, I'll kayak out there for some real fun,

I was able to carefully maneuver my way all the way down and around this trail I'm showing. That was fun!

I almost think traxxas should have made this come stock with the velineon esc, and the 21t titan motor. This thing is right at home with the titan and 3s power. I guess they wanted to put 30 mph on the box. Or they could have given us the mxl 6s and the 21t. Ha! Then it would be waterproof, and we could run 4s and they could still advertise the 30 mph!
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 01-09-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Some videos!

I still have a lot to learn about driving in these conditions, but the telluride can do it!

I would like to merge these into one video that I cam embed, but I have no idea how to do that. I'd love some pointers on it!

RC Competitor
    How is the heat with the Titan on 3s. I'm thinking to try it because my axial 27T is very slow. I will try to gear up a little bit.
    It will be good next summer for crawling but for now, too slow in snow;(
    Is your esc is the mamba max???

That esc being used is a sidewinder. I have an old mamba max (before they had the mamba max pro) that will intermittently shut down and re arm. That gets quite aggravating. I want to send it in for repair (only 20$) and waterproof it. Then I will use it. I can personally verify that it runs 4s fine with an external bec.

Temps were absolutely fine on 3s, for both the motor and the esc. I never even bothered with my temp gun, because everything was cool to the touch. Had I done more high speed play, it might be different, I don't really know.

I know the motor will be fine forever on 3s. It was designed for 14.4-16.8 volts in the emaxx, so 3s is a cinch. I've used them in my crawler revo on 4s with the mamba max. I've even used only one titan in that truck on 4s. So it was pushing the whole rig by itself.

If you watch the videos, I caught some quicker playing for just a minute toward the end of one of the longer videos. It'll do donuts, and it will jump. You can also see me grab full throttle a few times to lurch off of a few rocks. If you have a velineon esc, that and the 21t on 3s might be perfect. I have a 27t axial and a 20t axial motor too, which may never even see any use now haha.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 01-11-2015 at 01:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks a lot, i will try the Titan.

I'm loving this thing more and more. Beat around a bit today.

I turned my nose up at the telluride when it first came out, to be honest. "It's an underpowered stampede, with smaller tires, and it is narrower, so less stable."
    I'm glad my mind was opened, through some of you guy's threads, and a few YouTube videos I watched.

I also noticed today why it can be desirable for vehicles like this to be narrow. There were a few lines I wanted today that I was just too wide for. I also don't know if I'll even try the gru. I'm noticing that, sometimes, wheel speed is all that will get you through a situation. For this reason, I believe the 21t titan is perfect. Since it is 550 can, it has lots of torque for holding a slow, creeping pace up an obstacle. It has enough speed to throw a roost, and get up and over obstacles or hills that require it. Even 3s is sufficient. Of course, when I'm set up, it will run 4s .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast