RC poster

Brand new slash charger out of box flashes red. Does not charge!

Please help. This was gift for my son and he can't even enjoy it
    Purchased Slash 2x4 VXL. Stock charger for 12v auxiliary outlet and 7-cell battery back NiMh. Manual says nothing other then disconnect until error is cleared. Tried many times, no change to red blinking light. Any ideas??

RC poster
    My sons brand new slash charger is doing the same thing! Very frustrating for both of us!

RC poster
    I too am having a similar problem, I bought a slash Raptor, and I also bought a Stampede 4x4 for my son. The dealer told me that I needed a wall adaptor AC/Dc power converter to plug my chargers into to be able to charge from a wall outlet. So I bought that also. (it is a Traxxas brand unit that plugs into the wall, and has an automobile 12 volt adaptor that the stock charging unit plugs into). long story short I plug either battery into this thing like you are supposed to, and it charges till it get to 3 blinking green lights, then goes into flashing red. Indicating that there is a problem some where... As a result I cant charge my batteries for either car enough to run the dang things more than 3-5 minutes. To top it all off, I cant find out it isn't fully charging for at least 45 minutes in the charging cycle, due to the fact that it goes from solid red when I plug it in, to one green flash at the beginning, to two, and so on then instead of going to solid green (indicating full charge) it goes into flashing red... Some one help me out here please, these were supposed to be fun for the two of us and so far they are just a source of frustration.

RC poster
    Wow.. I'm amazed that this is happening to more than just us. Traxxas surely must know this is a problem. I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow for sure. I understand there are better chargers out there, but you would expect that the thing ought to work out of the box as well. It's not like these are $20 toys! Please post if/when you are able to resolve the problem..

RC poster
    try looking at the manual on the websight might help

RC poster
    Thanks. I've downloaded the full manual online and there is nothing in there either

RC poster
    i would just say get a new charger because those are 8hrs for 25 mins of fun

Traxxas Employee
    Hi. I’ve been caught by this myself. The charger should only be plugged in without a battery connected.

What I have found that works for me is the following:

1. Unplug the battery from the charger. < very important >
    2. Plug the charger into the power source (and if necessary turn the power source on i.e. start the car).
    3. The red led should turn on solid (no blinking). If it does, you can then plug in the battery and it will start charging.
    4. With no battery, if the LED doesn’t turn on, push the plug in harder, check the power source, and, finally, check the charger’s fuse.

Note that if you plug in the charger with a battery connected it is likely that the fuse will blow. In this case, the act of plugging in shorts the plug side and the power from the battery blows the fuse. (Learned this the hard way). The fuse is a standard 5A fast blow automotive fuse.

RC poster
    I've been bitten by the flashing red issue as well. I've gone through the steps suggested by zengerg but I have different results. After the solid red, #3, I plug in the charger and it starts flashing green...but this only last for 60 seconds or so then it goes to a flashing red.

We bought two LaTrax SSTs expecting to be able to plug them in, charge, and roll...but we appear to be stranded. The first oddity was that they came with AUTOMOTIVE chargers? I'm not sure about everyone else buying these, but we live in our home, not our vehicle. To get around the automotive charger issue we bought some cheap little adapters that allow us to plug them into the wall. They are 12V out so I assume that would be fine, but it looks like I could be wrong.

Looking for ideas...

RC poster
    I bought a Rustler with the same outcome. I seen the service announcement about this charger and tried the steps to return it for a software upgrade (RMA). The final step takes me to a page with a print button. Pushing that button takes me to a page with nothing to print.
    I spent more than I really wanted too but I went with this because of the brand name. Now I have a truck to look at and that's it. I suppose I could use the charger as decorations at Christmas time. I would have expected Traxxas to do something about this, it is obviously a known issue.
    Oh well, I sent support an email so I am still clinging to a little bit of hope.

IMHO...
    It would be good on Traxxas's part to not even include a charger. The wall chargers or car charger's supplied take way to long.
    I would prefer to see on the box "charger not included" that way you will buy one at the time of purchase rather than finding out the supplied charger takes a lifetime to charge and you eventually end up purchasing a better one anyway that suits your needs.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    IMHO...
    It would be good on Traxxas's part to not even include a charger. The wall chargers or car charger's supplied take way to long.
    I would prefer to see on the box "charger not included" that way you will buy one at the time of purchase rather than finding out the supplied charger takes a lifetime to charge and you eventually end up purchasing a better one anyway that suits your needs.
    It's not a bad idea, but Traxxas seems to take RTR seriously, right down to supplying transmitter batteries. The DC charge has a maximum charge rate of 4 Amps when supplied with the 1:10 vehicles. That isn't a slow charge at all. By far the greatest difficulty with these chargers was due to users not reading the instructions and thereby popping the fuse by connecting the battery in the wrong order.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    IMHO...
    I agree!! My Slash Ultimate was packaged with 2 2s lipos and an ac charger capable of 800 milliamps! It took FOREVER to charge those lipos, long enough that it melted after about 4 charge cycles. It was totally mismatched for the batteries it was packaged with. They did warranty it(I would have preferred a credit towards an EZ peak) but the new one sits in a box. I bought an EZ Peak that works fine. The truck could have been packaged without a charger( include a suggestion for a charger that actually works) OR packaged with 1 lipo and a decent charger. Just my 2 cents (I was a little frustrated also)

Quote Originally Posted by exp626 View Post
    Thanks. I've downloaded the full manual online and there is nothing in there either
    Click this link-Charger
    Follow the video closely, pay attention to having to
    plug charger into it's power supply before plugging in
    your battery.

RC poster
    I couldn't get mine to charge either,at first I hadn't a clue as to what was wrong, thought maybe somethings the matter with my brand new Stampede 4x4 VXL..Went back to hobby shop next morning and bought the Onyx 245 and 2 Lipos Venom 5000s. The charger allows 2 batteries at a time to be charged and will charge the Nimh battery that came with the truck. It will charge 2 Lipos in less than 30 minutes..To me a no brainer. I am not gonna spend 8 hours of charging to get 20 minutes of playing with the truck.With one Lipo I ran the truck for 30 minutes and the battery hadn't died yet...
    The battery charger and other batteries cost about $250 more on top of the already $450 I spent on the truck,but its worth it..I can even hook the charger to my car battery to charge the RC batteries if I am out somewhere far from a receptacle...

RC Racer
    That's funny. I have now purchased 2 E-MAXX'S, SUMMIT 1/10, STAMPEDE 4X4 vxl, BANDIT vxl, and the brand new ERBE, and not one came with batts for the transmitter. I want to know where you buy your rtr's because they are different then my rtr's. Did you have to pay extra for yours, and do you have the numbers for those that you bought. Maybe I will contact traxxas as it states required 4 aa batteries.

RC poster
    glad I read this thread before I called traxxas.. I popped the fuse in my charger on the 2nd charge session for my ERBE... good thing my old onyx chargers came with trx connecters..minimal downtime. They do need to put a bold warning label on that 4 amp charger to avoid this problem, and customers who don't realize they simply blew a fuse.

Watch the language, or even using words/acronyms to bypass the language filter.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-06-2015 at 07:33 AM.

RC poster
    Can you please tell me more about your device? What is this Slash 2x4 VXL? What is the problem you are facing with it? Can you please clear all the things?

The problem was solved months ago. There is no need to necropost.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Bought 2 Traxxas Rustlers "ready to race" for my twin boys for Christmas. BOTH cars fail to charge - just get the red flashing light. Boys gutted and a very frustrating time for me. I also bought the traxxas AC/DC converter. For such an expensive item this is appalling - must be a known defect or they have no quality control procedures. Extremely disappointed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbristow67 View Post
    Bought 2 Traxxas Rustlers "ready to race" for my twin boys for Christmas. BOTH cars fail to charge - just get the red flashing light. Boys gutted and a very frustrating time for me. I also bought the traxxas AC/DC converter. For such an expensive item this is appalling - must be a known defect or they have no quality control procedures. Extremely disappointed.
    Replace the fuse. In the future do not plug it in with a battery attached.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    Replace the fuse. In the future do not plug it in with a battery attached.
    X2 mine was blown

RC poster
    Same problem here I pretty sad you spend $500 on a rc thinking you can play it out of the box with no problems but I guess that's what I get for thinking. Kinda regretting buying it the 1 time I got a full charge out of it the slipper gear went out so I'm not the happiest with traxxas right now.

RC poster
    Which traxxas charger came with it? Mine came with Traxxas Lipo ID charger model number 2948.

It's a smaller blue charger. I was getting 2 blinking lights when I plugged the battery (with the new traxxs balanced connector) into the charger.

The problem for me was, with the new traxxas connectors, it will seem like you pushed the battery all the way, buT in reality, it was not all the way in. When I felt resistance, I assumed the battery hit the end, but in reality it didnt. I pushed in harder and more of the battery went in. Then it stopped blinking red and started blinking green. The battery connector needed to be 2/3rd in vompletely.

I don't know if this helps with anyone.

RC poster
    so... any solves?

RC poster
    Yes, i follow your advise: heavy pushing the connector in the charger and it works.

RC poster
    Plug it in to the car. then plug the battery in and it should charge

(I had the same promblem with my latrax sst and that solved it)

RC poster
    I had the same issue and I fixed it. Very simple!

If you'll look at the connectors on the charger itself, I had the NIMH 2 AMP charger, and I noticed that the connectors were a little too far apart and I thought if I pushed them closer together it might fix it. So I did just that. I used a small flat-head screwdriver and brought those connectors in a bit. (It was unplugged of course) and sure enough that was the issue that was causing it to flash red!

The connectors are kind of flimsy so if they get rattled it might be the reason it's giving the error code.

RC poster
    Hi,

First time charging a new 2wd slash.

- Solid red led on charger without battery connected.
    - When connecting battery one green blink and then a red blink cycling slowly.

Everybody else seems to only have a red blink when fuse is blown?
    Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks

RC poster
    Plug into cigarette lighter hole first, attach to battery, should flash RED for a few seconds than start flashing Green....if your SURE your cigarette lighter hole is working, the in line fuze may be bad. The fuze is located in the end of the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter hole >>>>>>> I have the BIGFOOT traxxas truck <<<<<< LOVE IT !
    Last edited by ohNO; 09-11-2017 at 10:23 PM.