RC poster

Angry SST - Built to last? You must be kidding!!!

I bought a shiny new SST for my son for Christmas. Was quite hard to get it, as it isn't available in Germany yet and the German distributor didn't even answer my mail. But we found it in Czech Republic.

First impression on Christmas Eve: great little car, drives perfect out of the box. I only have a Dromida 1/18 to compare, and out of the box the SST seems to be way better. Less binding in the drive line, better radio, all in all better quality.

First disappointment: I bought some additional 3rd party NIMH packs that are within the specifications on the LaTrax webpage specs. But these dimensions on the webpage are just wrong! My battery packs (Team Associated 21149) don't match there.

Took it out today for a second drive and the metal shaft of the front left shock broke just above the ball. I can't believe this. The car is set to 50% (training mode) and was running on plain tarmac. It just was driving over my shoe and broke.

I read about some qualities issues here on the forums, but didn't want to believe this car can't stand a 8 year old driving it for two days. Am I supposed to buy shocks for nearly $20 now every two days?

I bought this car because I was hoping for better quality than with cheaper ones. But his toy grade car lasted for 3 years without breaking anything and also my Dromida holds up fine (and gets more of a beating) for half the price!

Rant over!

I understand your situation I would get out my thread https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...new-SCT-owners for help.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC poster
    Thanks for pointing me to your thread. This I already read before I even bought the car. I just had hope you guys abuse your cars more than my son does and ours will last a little longer.

I understand I need to replace parts on such a car from time to time. But I think it is just a production error Traxxas needs to fix in the first place. It can't be the car can't stand 3 batteries on flat ground in training mode.

Or at least they shouldn't write "Built to last" on the box.

Maybe they just forgot *if you are willing to spend another $150.

By the way: I'd like to know who had the idea to pack a car charger with this car. I bought an extra charger for my son and most of us RC guys already will have one, but who wants to sit in the garage to load RC batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly73 View Post
    Thanks for pointing me to your thread. This I already read before I even bought the car. I just had hope you guys abuse your cars more than my son does and ours will last a little longer.

I understand I need to replace parts on such a car from time to time. But I think it is just a production error Traxxas needs to fix in the first place. It can't be the car can't stand 3 batteries on flat ground in training mode.

Or at least they shouldn't write "Built to last" on the box.

Maybe they just forgot *if you are willing to spend another $150.

By the way: I'd like to know who had the idea to pack a car charger with this car. I bought an extra charger for my son and most of us RC guys already will have one, but who wants to sit in the garage to load RC batteries?
    I would get a better charger so you can also charge Lipos in the future.
    I use a Venom Pro2 charger
    Last edited by Shadow_summit757; 12-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.

It happened to me I hit a stump of a bush/ shrub thing going 10 mph and the stock shock broke in half. Then you will brake the diffs, I feel bad for your son I know how its feels.

RC Competitor
    I bought the sst and the teton for my boys for Christmas and have about ten runs through each and the teton seems much more robust the sst has busted shocks one front one rear snapped front arm and a stripped diff. From my son on training mode while I have beat the snot out out of the teton and have only cracked the front bumper

RC poster
    Thanks for all the information. Most of it I knew already, as I read a lot on the forums before buying.

But is it only me, or is there something completely wrong? How can everyone accept a car at this price point with this quality out of the box? If a company sells a drilling machine that looks nice, but can't drill more than one hole, everybody would be upset.
    Last edited by Holly73; 12-27-2014 at 03:33 AM.

RC poster
    Great info here! I bought my son a little SST to start out with also and it's been fun so far and he hasn't broken anything. I'm going to get the parts mentioned above so that I can replace em before the break!
    Last edited by Hertboi2014; 12-27-2014 at 06:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    Didn't mean to post here
    Last edited by Sailwin; 12-27-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to post here

RC Competitor

Cool Upgrades are a must, completely changes their durabilty

My bone stock SST has had many problems, and I too can't believe that LaTrax would produce a product that broke so easily out of the box.

The SST I upgraded before it's first drive is unbelievable!!!! The upgrades make for a completely different rc, I can't believe how tough it is compared to my "stock" one!!! Everywhere my "stock" one broke shocks, axles, etc. my upgraded one has survived! Upgrade your shocks immediately!!!!! Upgrade them to the adjustable ones with the TiN shafts, then the axles (still in the process of upgrading the diffs, can't comment to much on them). My esc has held up fine compared to all the stock motors I've gone through (I'd go brushless). I will get more videos up shortly, but after the upgrades this is an amazing truck!

Part of the "joy" of RC's to me is the upgrades, repairs, and modifications. I am thrilled to share the work with my two kids, and teach them basic mechanics, electronics, and lots & lots of patience. And I admit, that my RC adventures can be unpredictable due to unexpected failures (both due to driver error & build quality) .

Accepting the low durability in the out of the box form was VERY frustrating. I knew their would be issues before I purchased mine, and had spare parts on the way as soon as I placed my order for my two. What I didn't think about was upgrading/modifying the issues to stop the failures. Finding the answers to my issues was easy with the help of everyone in the Teton forums.

Even after all the upgrades, I was able to purchase two trucks, tones of spares, and finally upgrade both of them for less then the cost of one of the 1/10 trucks I was looking at, and that was the selling point for me.

Overall, my whole family loves, drives, & abuses them, and I'm very happy with the truck after the upgrades/modifications! (we'll see how I feel in another couple months)

RC poster
    All well and good. My only complaint is the stock car can't stand normal driving for 3 batteries in training mode. Every cheap Walmart car is more durable. And buying the TiN shocks for 1/3 of the cars's price to get it to the point it should have been out of the box seems unreasonable to me.

@cyrano2040 & Shadow_summit757
    We have now several shock options: Himoto, Animus and someone over in the Teton board wrote about Team Associated ones. I have a Dromida. These shocks also look similar. Which ones fit out of the box and which need to be fixed using other screws/balls? The SST has balls on both ends, my Dromida only has them at the bottom.

And about the diffs: all this LaTrax forum is full of diff threads, but I still didn't get it completely. The TA diffs are a direct replacement? The cheapest version would be to use the complete TA set, the hop-ups would be the aluminum gear or the steel one. The steel one comes also with a pinion for the drive shaft, the stock and aluminum one don't. Do I need this? And the metal outdrives are a must?

The big problem is that here in Europe no shop seems to have TA diffs in stock and also these outdrives are only available at asiatees.

RC Competitor
    I bought all my ta stuff in the states at thetoyz, apexmodels in the uk has them, but out of stock ;-(
    Ultra4Europe racer

RC Competitor

Lightbulb Searching the internet for part numbers can save a lot of money

I got all four of my my LaTrax TiN Shocks for $25.99 from RCPlanet.com. I guess the price has almost doubled since the begining of November. I have also had long wait times for my other orders to ship from RCPlanet.com, don't recommend them normally

One tip, is sometimes the same part number varies in price depending on what model you are looking for (SST, Teton, Rally). I have saved a couple dollars per part on a few of my orders.
    i.e. on DollarHobbyz.com the Spur Gear, pinion, gearbox housing, center driveshaft, motor mount, and misc. is $3.49 on the SST page, and $9.49 on the Teton page for the same exact parts (as of 12/28/2014)

My quick go to list for online stores: (for shipping to the US at least)

DollarHobbyz.com is one of the cheapest places for stock parts, you have to check them out, this is where I have got 99% of my stock replacements & stock parts from other rc's to install on mine! Highest recommendations!
    Amain.com very cheap, has a lot of stuff, and seems to ship everything to me for $1.99, for my whole order, again highest recommendations
    Towerhobbies.com, is another great place for cheap parts, worth checking for prices and parts
    smile.amazon.com is another great place, but like ebay.com sometime the price can be a bit more then somewhere else.

I always do a quick search on google shopping by part number to see if they find a better deal then I did, they do some times.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is to search for parts online by part numbers, and don't just by the part from the first place you find it. I have found the prices for these parts is all over the place, and with a little research, you can save a lot of money.

RC Competitor

Thumbs down The STOCK version breaks so easily

All well and good. My only complaint is the stock car can't stand normal driving for 3 batteries in training mode. Every cheap Walmart car is more durable. And buying the TiN shocks for 1/3 of the cars's price to get it to the point it should have been out of the box seems unreasonable to me.
    Completely agree!!!!!! The STOCK version breaks so easily (granted it has been from me driving it; into something, over something, through something)!!! And I hate that I had to upgrade so much immediately! But now that I have, I am very happy with them. I'm not sure if I would buy this again, or go for the 1/16 model (probably should have gone for the 1/16)...

I love driving this little truck, the way it handles, and love the smaller size of it!

RC poster
    I'm not sure if I wouldn't buy another brand. My Dromida needed some modifications out of the box (but all for free) and until now it holds up great for less than half the price.

Anyway, now we have the SST here and wanted to drive it again. As it is weekend and we couldn't get any spares so fast, I just repaired the shock and we went out to the snow. Still on training mode, but it was quite some fun and nothing broke today. :-)

RC poster
    Do you have a source for the Himoto/Atomic old design shocks?

RC poster
    Thanks for the great comparison!

I now just need to measure my Dromida shocks when I get back home from holidays in a few days. These I could buy at my dealer without problems. And they are also only around 10 for a pair of aluminum ones (but without springs).

RC poster
    After just putting around house very easily ( it has been raining here for three days non stop) just looked and have lost three of the shock stop disc things. Guess that will be my first upgrade.

@cyrano2040 & Shadow_summit757
    We have now several shock options: Himoto, Animus and someone over in the Teton board wrote about Team Associated ones. I have a Dromida. These shocks also look similar. Which ones fit out of the box and which need to be fixed using other screws/balls? The SST has balls on both ends, my Dromida only has them at the bottom.

And about the diffs: all this LaTrax forum is full of diff threads, but I still didn't get it completely. The TA diffs are a direct replacement? The cheapest version would be to use the complete TA set, the hop-ups would be the aluminum gear or the steel one. The steel one comes also with a pinion for the drive shaft, the stock and aluminum one don't. Do I need this? And the metal outdrives are a must?

The big problem is that here in Europe no shop seems to have TA diffs in stock and also these outdrives are only available at asiatees.
    I use the atomik shocks they fit with no mods. yet it looks like Atomik doesn't make them anymore.
    Last edited by Shadow_summit757; 12-29-2014 at 05:56 PM.

RC poster
    Finally measured my stock Dromida shocks (the plastic ones) and they seem to be around the same size of the ones in Cyrano's picture.

Overall length: 68 mm
    Ball center to ball center: 61,5 mm
    Spring length: 45 mm
    Spring outer diameter: 12,5 mm
    Shock shaft diameter: 2 mm

I think I'll give them a try and report back. To fit them, I also need to order the mounting hardware, as the Dromida has 3,5mm balls on the A-arms and a screw mount on top.

I really like the old Atomik shocks, as they are full aluminium (and the red would match the SST), but they only seem to be available from Atomic via Amazon in the US. Too much of a hassle for my taste.

Gpm just made shocks for the teton btw

RC poster
    Yes, I saw the thread over in the Teton forum, but it seems the shocks aren't available for purchase until now? I at least didn't find them.

Now the question is: how much will they cost? And are they orange?

RC poster
    Sounds good!

RC poster
    Got an answer from AsiaTees regarding the GPM aluminum shocks. They expect them to arrive mid February.
    For the Aluminum Differential Gears they have no restocking date at the moment.

RC poster
    I don't know what your guys problem is about shocks breaking, because o got mine yesterday and have went through 3 batteries of hard bashing(launching 25 feet onto concrete) and haven't had a problem. It is one of my favorite cars to drive now.

Quote Originally Posted by brocdickerson View Post
    I don't know what your guys problem is about shocks breaking, because o got mine yesterday and have went through 3 batteries of hard bashing(launching 25 feet onto concrete) and haven't had a problem. It is one of my favorite cars to drive now.
    The shocks on the SST are good until they take a direct impact.