RC Racer

Driveshaft Catching Every Full Rotation

I was just driving my truck and when it started to slow down when I let off the trigger, it would lurch and make a ratcheting sound. Upon further inspection, I noticed overtime the set screw on the rear of the driveshaft went to the bottom, it would catch. It is still drivable like this and it getting power to all four wheels so Im not sure what is the problem. I am in the process of taking the driveshaft off to make sure it isn't just debris.
    I also have a video, just need to upload real quick then I'll post it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would remove the set screw completely and make sure it is sitting on the flat spot. Use blue loc tite on it.

RC Racer
    its on the flat spot and its already been loctited in before. Could this be a rear differential issue?

RC Racer
    I rechecked the set screw and removed it. Once i reinstalled it, it helped but wasn't completely fixed

it can be, take it apart and look if it is damage. i had this problem several times with mine but been different problems.
    1) the slipper clutch shaft was bent making it touch the chassis (HCG)
    2) the rear diff was broken
    3) the motor mount bearing was blown up
    make sure and check if its non of these
    | Slash 4x4 | Stampede 4x4 | E-Revo BL | RPM |

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by walshd250 View Post
    The center bearing and bearing adapter are wasted. Possibly the motor mount too.

RC Racer
    Ive been looking into a king headz mount anyway, are there any upgrades I can do to the center bearing or the adapter?

And is it drivable?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by walshd250 View Post
    Ive been looking into a king headz mount anyway, are there any upgrades I can do to the center bearing or the adapter?

And is it drivable?
    Get the Traxxas upgraded metal bearing carrier.

I absolutely would not run that. It will break your motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    lol ok I mightve deserved that but it got my point across!

And thanks for helping me out! I'll try and get it fixed asap

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hehehe. I like to help, but I thought you needed a laugh too.

If you run your Slash 4x4 long and hard enough and you don't have a Ultimate or Platinum edition you will eventually mealy the bearing adapter. The motor mount will also give out on you. King Headz motor mount and a metal bearing adapter you will make your truck very stout.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm at home now and on an actual computer, so I can see the video better. I'd also suggest ordering a new spur gear, along with the other parts. I'm willing to bet it got chewed up as well.

RC Racer
    Hate to revive this thread but I just replaced my parts, you guys were right. My bearing was 100% destroyed along with the adapter. I upgraded to the metal adapter and replaced the bearing. The motor mount and everything else seemed to be fine.

Now that I have everything put back together, I'm still having nearly the same issue. Almost every full rotation of the driveshaft results in it catching on something. If I roll my truck on the ground, it will roll for less than a foot then lock up all the wheels.

What is wrong? I rechecked my set screw in the drive shaft and am about to disassemble the entire rear end again. Im hoping I don't have to do this!

RC Racer
    Ok! I began to disassemble the rear end again and discovered i rushed myself way too much reassembling it the first time. My rear bulkhead was on the outside of the lip on the bottom of the chassis, causing the driveshaft to get caught on the chassis. All is well now!

Ready to rip it up tomorrow when the sun is out!

Congratulations! If I were you I would have another motor mount on hand. Since you got yours hot enough to melt the adapter the motor mount had to get some damage.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Congratulations! If I were you I would have another motor mount on hand. Since you got yours hot enough to melt the adapter the motor mount had to get some damage.
    Ive been trying to get my hands on a king headz but other parts needed to be upgraded first. College puts me on a pretty tight budget so I'm trying to just get by at the moment. This summer is when all the fun upgrades will come
    -New wheels/tires
    -Proline Suspension
    -New bodies
    Then just a bunch of aesthetics haha

Glad you got that figured out.
    Save up for the aluminum motor mount and heat sink motor plate.
    Body and aesthetics are secondary...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Are there any upgrades you guys would recommend to keep me out running the longest? I guess what I'm trying to say is, what would my next weak link be?

I hace aluminum hub carriers front and rear, C-hubs, and now the upgraded bearing adapter. That is basically everything I have done excluding changing oils in diff's and shocks since that doesn't necessarily matter for durability.

I want to begin doing some racing but don't want to be broken after/during every heat/main. It is extremely frustrating to me and just want the truck to hold up so I can develop as a driver

Aluminum motor mount, steel constant velocity axles and a heatsink with a fan will make you truck pretty good and bulletproof. When you upgrade to a more powerful motor you will want the XO-1 differential.

RC Champion
    It's always good to have an extra set of bearings on hand. A seized bearing will stop you in your tracks and is usually very easy/quick to replace. A full set of bearings for the truck costs about $20 from Avid or Boca.

RC Racer
    ran the truck just a little bit then ran into more problems.

Once again, you guys were right. My spur gear has a damaged tooth and my motor mount is also damaged. The motor mount wasn't hurt in a spot i expected it to be though. The threading for the motor adjustment (I guess thats the right word?) screw has been stripped. This won't allow my motor to be secured down and it would constantly come off the spur gear.

I am going to the LHS to buy aluminum mount and new gear. I am currently running a 13t pinion and 54t spur. Is this a good setup for a balance of speed and acceleration?

Thanks for helping me out fella's

RC Champion
    13/54 is the stock setup and is good for all around running. I'm a basher and 13/54 is what I run. I sometimes gear up when the need for speed bites, but gotta watch temps.