Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

ceramic bearing....

http://www.bocabearings.com/productd...tSubGroupID=55

Anyone tried these? I'm tempted to order a set...

RC Qualifier
    you might check with the guys over in the facebook Alias flyers club. if anyone bit the price bullet for these on this quad... it would be one of them . I know a few people who originally considered them, but decided not to because of their cost. I ended up going with their econo sealed bearings in two of mine, and I really like them .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    maybe, if Traxxas decides someday to come out with a "next generation" Alias... they will add a couple extra buttons on the controller to allow for ad ons .
    MooN

RC poster
    I'm tempted too.

I know mmw was selling some but now they stopped for some reason

RC Competitor
    I ordered a set. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive, and I get them installed.

RC poster
    Cool thanks Sabshire

RC poster
    Interested in update

RC Competitor
    Bearings were supposed to be delivered this past Monday, but the USPS delayed things. They should be delivered to today, so I'll post an update soon.

RC Competitor
    Got them in, so I'll give them a test this weekend, and let you know what I think. I put a low battery in just to make sure I had everything hooked back up properly (i replaced the motors with he dark edition ones from mms), and did a quick a spin up.. I can tell a big difference in the sound already. It has always been pretty quiet, but it feels a lot smoother when holding in my hand, and the sound is a lot less. I'm eager to give these things a real test.

RC Competitor
    Finally was able to go for some flying today. Those bearings are incredible. My alias is whisper quiet now, and flies great. Performance is great with the new dark edition motors too. Definitely worth it I think. I'll give it a test with the old latex camera too when the replacement arrives. Supposed to be here today, so will give that a test tomorrow.

So would you say they are worth the price?
    I have the MMW dark edition motors and since they have plastic pinion gears they are quieter than the stock brass ones. But i bet with better bearings that the whole quad would be quieter and maybe less vibrations on the camera.

RC Competitor
    I think they are worth the price. Less friction is less wear on the motor, less drag on the motor which improves battery life and motor wear. Less vibration improves video. I'll try and get some video to show it.

RC Competitor
    Here's a sample video showing how my alias sounded and recorded video before replacing motors and bearings, and after. Just short 30 second clips of each to give you a sample. Video was shot with same 808 #16 camera, with the same settings. I changed the camera mount a little bit on the second clip.

Quote Originally Posted by sabshire View Post
    I'll give it a test with the old latex camera too when the replacement arrives. Supposed to be here today, so will give that a test tomorrow.
    What is old latex camera? Are you talking about LaTrax camera?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpasl View Post
    What is old latex camera? Are you talking about LaTrax camera?
    Latrax... typo, and i didn't notice it.

Wow, there is a difference there. Sounds different and looks like less vibrations. Thanks for the video comparison.

RC poster
    Wow, that seems to have made a big difference!

RC Competitor
    Yeah, it's so quiet now when I fly it, I can't even hear it once its a few feet away.

Today, I got my brand new Alias! When I connect battery to Alias and led lights are flashing like crazy.... Like having a party time. I tried to find a way to bind it... I have no idea... Listen to music or something? Manual book is little strange.

Finally, I made it work... What is best setting for me to fly easy? It is very hard for me to control it.. It go up so fast and down.. I want to fly slow and move around.
    Last edited by jdpasl; 02-05-2015 at 08:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    Pull the throttle all the way down, and push it in, and release.

Pull the throttle all the way down, and push it in, and release.
    Ok, how can you make Alias stay in the air without moving? I tried so hard to make it stay in the air without move. Alias is still moving no matter what I try to control it.

RC Competitor
    You have to learn to be very easy on the sticks. It will never stay in one place entirely on it's own. You have to learn to constantly adjust, but be very easy on the sticks. Find a nice big open space to fly, so that you have very little to worry about being around you. Then practice just keeping it a certain height on the ground, without worrying about the direction you are moving. Once you get that down, you can then begin to use the right stick to make adjustments to its position.

You have to learn to be very easy on the sticks. It will never stay in one place entirely on it's own. You have to learn to constantly adjust, but be very easy on the sticks. Find a nice big open space to fly, so that you have very little to worry about being around you. Then practice just keeping it a certain height on the ground, without worrying about the direction you are moving. Once you get that down, you can then begin to use the right stick to make adjustments to its position.
    OK Thanks sabshire

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for posting the vids. Looks good. I wonder how big an improvement just the ceramic bearings have over just the standard economy bearings. I certainly can appreciate the dramatic change with the MM's !
    I just went from the fast edition to the dark edition and am having to decide if I should just get stock bearings, boca economy bearings or the premium ceramics. I fly alot and reallu have gotten my money worth from this quad. Part of the reason I fly it so much and so hard is because it is so inexpensive that I can fly worry free compared to my full featured APM birds. Im afraid if I start investing too much into this toy , i might get too conservative in my flying atitude.

Got them in, so I'll give them a test this weekend, and let you know what I think. I put a low battery in just to make sure I had everything hooked back up properly (i replaced the motors with he dark edition ones from mms), and did a quick a spin up.. I can tell a big difference in the sound already. It has always been pretty quiet, but it feels a lot smoother when holding in my hand, and the sound is a lot less. I'm eager to give these things a real test.
    Where did you find dark edition motors?
    What battery are you using? 650 mah or 800 mah?

I am concerning about 800 mah would burn out motors. Is that going to happen?

By the way, today I flew my Alias with camera. It can fly very high! Alias lose signal or battery become weak , it went down and hit on tree then land safely. Nothing is broken. Alias must be strongest than all quadcopters lol. I am using stock 650 mah battery and run time is 10 minutes with camera attached. That is not bad. But I am wondering about run time with 800 mah battery.

RC poster
    Here's a sample video showing how my alias sounded and recorded video before replacing motors and bearings, and after. Just short 30 second clips of each to give you a sample. Video was shot with same 808 #16 camera, with the same settings. I changed the camera mount a little bit on the second clip.

Hi,
    Hey what sd card you using since you don't get the purple lines, as I have since in other posts?

RC Competitor
    Where did you find dark edition motors?
    What battery are you using? 650 mah or 800 mah?
    Stock 650mah batteries

I am concerning about 800 mah would burn out motors. Is that going to happen?
    Not sure. I fly mine with little to no break between flights of four batteries. Only list one motor due to a crash.

By the way, today I flew my Alias with camera. It can fly very high! Alias lose signal or battery become weak , it went down and hit on tree then land safely. Nothing is broken. Alias must be strongest than all quadcopters lol. I am using stock 650 mah battery and run time is 10 minutes with camera attached. That is not bad. But I am wondering about run time with 800 mah battery.
    Not sure. I get from 5-8 minutes on each battery. Fight times really depend a lot about how you fly.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mrekimf View Post
    Hi,
    Hey what sd card you using since you don't get the purple lines, as I have since in other posts?

Those videos were shot using an 808 #16 camera attached to the Alias. As for SD card, I use a SanDisk 32GB class 10.

I get from 5-8 minutes on each battery. Fight times really depend a lot about how you fly.
    Depend on how I fly.. That is right. My video is 10 mins, 35 seconds because of my clumsy flight skill.

You has not answer my question about "Where did you find dark edition motors?"

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    So would you say they are worth the price?
    I have the MMW dark edition motors and since they have plastic pinion gears they are quieter than the stock brass ones. But i bet with better bearings that the whole quad would be quieter and maybe less vibrations on the camera.
    Really.... Quieter and less vibration. But I am concerned about plastic is break easily. Brass don't.

Really.... Quieter and less vibration. But I am concerned about plastic is break easily. Brass don't.
    I havent had any pinions break on me, they do sell pinions on the MMW website.

I havent had any pinions break on me, they do sell pinions on the MMW website.
    Ok great. Recently this afternoon, I go outside and tried to fly Alias but two stock motors seems to be dead! Probably burned out? That is impossible I flew it for first in the morning today. Battery is charged completely.

Ok great. Recently this afternoon, I go outside and tried to fly Alias but two stock motors seems to be dead! Probably burned out? That is impossible I flew it for first in the morning today. Battery is charged completely.
    Thats not uncommon, i got my alias for xmas, the next day i had already replaced 2 motors. The stock motors are garbage. Call up traxxas and they should send you some motors. But i bought the MMW dark edition motors and have had them for probably a month or 2 now. Not a single failure with them. And they are cheaper than stock.

Thats not uncommon, i got my alias for xmas, the next day i had already replaced 2 motors. The stock motors are garbage. Call up traxxas and they should send you some motors. But i bought the MMW dark edition motors and have had them for probably a month or 2 now. Not a single failure with them. And they are cheaper than stock.
    You have dark edition motors for long time.. that is wonderful. What is website to get dark edition motor? I need to order it.

You have dark edition motors for long time.. that is wonderful. What is website to get dark edition motor? I need to order it.
    Yep, love the dark editions, me and my little brother have them. They have more power and are more reliable. Here is the link http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-17-11t

Yep, love the dark editions, me and my little brother have them. They have more power and are more reliable. Here is the link http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-17-11t
    OK thanks for website link!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for posting the link iZach98... Sorry jdpasl, missed that question.

Thanks for posting the link iZach98... Sorry jdpasl, missed that question.
    No problem

RC poster
    [QUOTE=sabshire;5841760]Here's a sample video showing how my alias sounded and recorded video before replacing motors and bearings, and after. Just short 30 second clips of each to give you a sample. Video was shot with same 808 #16 camera, with the same settings. I changed the camera mount a little bit on the second clip.

I am Sold!

Thanks for posting the video.

RC Enthusiast
    Ceramic vs steel bearings ?
    Is ceramic really worth the investment or not? What is the price of full set of ceramic?
    Yup gotta love those MMW aftermarket power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast