Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

purple lines alias camera

have have a Brand New from the box Latrax Camera along with a brand new PNY MSD card.

1st video recording, I have purple lines / streaks across my entire videos.

Please help....

RC Competitor
    I've seen that some in mine at first... I chalked it up to interference.. When I flew it outside in a wide open area, I didn't have that issue.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sabshire View Post
    I've seen that some in mine at first... I chalked it up to interference.. When I flew it outside in a wide open area, I didn't have that issue.

Flew mine in wide open 600x600ft area, no power lines, etc.

RC Qualifier
    what class is the card you bought? it should say on the card and be listed something like "class 6". I don't know about the lines because it almost sounds like interference to me as well, but do know that if it is a lower class card, specifically below a class 6, that they tend to generate much poorer quality in video. I spent the extra couple bucks and just went with the class 10.
    would you be able to post the video? I would be curious to see what you are seeing .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    I have a 90MB/Sec write, EClass 10 card, 16GB, purchased the best one they had at Best Buy.

screenshot of video purple streaks, they are not static, they randomly scroll across the video

edit: indoor videos, the lines are white. as the lines move you can also hear "digital noise" in the video.

Last edited by apex2apex; 12-30-2014 at 11:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    wow apex... that is pretty bad! I cant begin to imagine what it might be? my suggestion would to try a different card. if it still occurs with that, then it would almost have to point to the camera itself as being defective somehow? it could be the actual connector that the lens connects to the board with, but to check that... you would have to buy either a replacement standard lens or the wide angle one. if it were mine... try another card and if that didn't solve it, return the camera for replacement .

edit: you could also try the card itself in something else and shoot a video. that would help determine if you just got a bad card that slipped through QC somehow... it does happen .
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 12-31-2014 at 01:54 PM.

RC Competitor
    I am suspicious of the 90mb/sec write.. it might read at that speed, but doubt it can write at that speed. Do you have a link to the card in question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_class_rating

RC Competitor
    I've been doing some testing in the house, and have found that i don't really have any purple lines until i have recorded video for a good while. So that could be something with the battery getting low, or maybe the file size, which would be affected by write speed I guess. Going to test a bit more and record short video clips and see how that fares.

RC Competitor
    So tested a bit more, and it definitely has to do with the battery getting lower on juice. Early in the flight, all videos are nice and clear.. after about the 1/2 way point, i really start to get the purple lines, until near the end where it becomes nearly unwatchable. When I get a clearing in the weather, I'll do some tests like this on the outside to compare my results.

RC poster
    Fully charged battery here, indoor or outside with open 600sqft area. Same issue.

LHS exchanged it, it was better, but still has issues. Sending it in again for replacement.

RC Competitor
    Have you taken it to fly in a different area, further away from the powerlines, houses, etc? Have you tried recording some video without actually flying to see if the issue exists? Just power it on, hit the aux2 button, and carry it around and record some video.

RC poster
    Have you taken it to fly in a different area, further away from the powerlines, houses, etc? Have you tried recording some video without actually flying to see if the issue exists? Just power it on, hit the aux2 button, and carry it around and record some video.

Yes. The 2nd replacement records just fine ONLY if the Alias is not spinning it motors. As soon as I throttle up, it's a garbled mess. Same result on 2 of my Alias.

RC Competitor
    Default lens, or the wide angle lens?

RC Qualifier
    On most brushed type rc motors they add a small capacitor (typically .001 uf) from each power lead to the metal shell . If Traxxas did not do this it could cause interference. Don

RC poster
    Both lenses, both cameras.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dontrinko View Post
    On most brushed type rc motors they add a small capacitor (typically .001 uf) from each power lead to the metal shell . If Traxxas did not do this it could cause interference. Don

Positive to shell?

RC Competitor
    Yeah, i remember having a capacitor on the motor on my old r/c cars, and thought about that. Thought about trying some aluminum foil between the camera and battery compartment to see if that makes any difference. Of course the interference might be coming through the connector to the main board in the alias also, and that wouldn't help in that case. I wonder how many have had the purple lines using the alias camera? I do some (but not when it's outside), but not like apex2apex, though.

RC Qualifier
    My 1/10th scale rc motors have 2 capacitors, one from each lead to the metal shell. Don

RC poster
    Got my 3rd camera today. Now I get Purple lines with 0 throttle, when I spoil up it clears up. Will do some more testing and will repost.

ok tested...

good news, it works for the first 1.5 minutes, after 1.5 minutes the purple static lines come back. :-( I'm so frustrated with this camera.
    Last edited by apex2apex; 01-09-2015 at 08:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    this is so strange? I only have the one camera, but have shot video with it at the beginning, middle, and end of flights with no lines of this nature or any kind for that matter? I have done as much as 4 minutes of footage from different flight time points many times. I will be very interested to see what you guys figure out with this.

many manufacturers stopped adding the capacitors once the 2.4ghz came in to being. a supplier, when I questioned them as to why my Bee 370 super motors no longer had them told me that they were mainly to remove the interference generated with the older MHz radios. the space for the motors in the Alias is very restrictive. not sure how you would one capacitor on, let alone two, and get the motors to still fit in, but if this is in fact what is causing it... it should work.

RC Competitor
    I had never tried the normal camera lens. I put the wide angle lens in at the very beginning. So i switched over to it tonight. My videos all get the purple lines, with both lenses. And like Apex, it seems to be after running for a few minutes. Sometimes i get 3-4 minutes before I start seeing purple lines/static, but usually sooner than that. The first few videos I shot, I shot at a farm, and I didn't get any interference that I noticed. All of my more recent videos have been inside or in open fields in a city. Generally, I get a lot less noise/purple lines when I am outdoors in open fields. I'm getting to the point where I think I might send this thing back, and just get a mobius action cam.

RC Competitor
    I take that back.. I went back and looked through all my videos, and its been there since the beginning.. it was just less noticeable in the outdoor flights, but definitely there.

RC poster
    I've been having the same problem. I am using a Samsung 32 gb class 10 card. In my last test, it seemed like mine also was a lot worse with the motors throttled up. Went ahead and called Traxxas support yesterday and they gave me a couple of tips to try.
    1. reformat sd card (make sure to choose FAT32)
    2. add small pieces of fuel tubing between Alias and camera (where screws go into the frame)

After trying both of these, it seems to be a lot better (so far). i have only had time to test with a couple short video clips, but lines are gone with throttle so far. (so far, i have only been able to test with a fresh battery, hoping to get some full batteries run thru it outside in a couple of days, when the rain stops -will update after that)

RC poster
    Can you please post picture of your fuel tube setup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun6956 View Post
    I've been having the same problem. I am using a Samsung 32 gb class 10 card. In my last test, it seemed like mine also was a lot worse with the motors throttled up. Went ahead and called Traxxas support yesterday and they gave me a couple of tips to try.
    1. reformat sd card (make sure to choose FAT32)
    2. add small pieces of fuel tubing between Alias and camera (where screws go into the frame)

After trying both of these, it seems to be a lot better (so far). i have only had time to test with a couple short video clips, but lines are gone with throttle so far. (so far, i have only been able to test with a fresh battery, hoping to get some full batteries run thru it outside in a couple of days, when the rain stops -will update after that)

RC poster
    Forum is not allowing me to post attachments. Let me go check the rules, and I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

RC Competitor
    I was just going to ask the same thing about the fuel tubing.

RC poster
    ok, still trying to figure out posting the pic here, but just uploaded to photobucket... try this:
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/zz...tml?sort=3&o=0

its just a small slice of tubing to use like an o-ring or gasket...
    the guy at Traxxas also said not to tighten down all the way, so i didn't "squish" it all the way down, but it seems tight enough so far...

RC poster
    So they are thinking the vibrations are causing the issue? If you tighten down far enough the effect of the fuel tubing is null.

Formatting the SD card is futile.

Sounds like they are grasping at straws. It's a cheap camera, they just need to up the built quality a little.

RC Competitor
    We are talking about the purple lines/static, and not jello right? I'm having a hard time believing that rubber tubing will help, particularly when the problem seems to get worse as the battery is drained. I mean, I'll give it a try. Worth a shot. I went ahead and ordered myself an 808 #16 camera to use instead. It sure can't be any worse than this. I sent an email to Traxxas support, but haven't heard anything yet.

RC Competitor
    So tried the fuel tubing.. Little bit better, but still shows, and still gets to be near unbearable near the end of the battery life (before it starts beeping)

RC poster
    We are talking about the purple lines/static, and not jello right? I'm having a hard time believing that rubber tubing will help, particularly when the problem seems to get worse as the battery is drained. I mean, I'll give it a try. Worth a shot. I went ahead and ordered myself an 808 #16 camera to use instead. It sure can't be any worse than this. I sent an email to Traxxas support, but haven't heard anything yet.
    Yes. Definitely purple static lines and not jello. Mine was also so bad that it was showing a lot of purple "snow" type static as well...

Ok, so i was able to test some more today outside, and although it is better, i am still experiencing the same as you guys.
    the lines get worse toward the end of the battery.
    I flew for a whole battery, and took 3 separate videos during the flight. First one was perfect. Second one was close to perfect, with some barely visible horizontal static; looked almost ghost-like instead of the lines. Then by the third flight, the lines started showing up again and getting worse toward the end of the battery.
    Although, i am not satisfied, my experience "has" improved. Before this, i was getting very bad lines and static at the very beginning of the flights, on fully charged batteries.
    For what its worth, i googled some info on this just for digital video, and people were saying that it could be bad sensors...
    I think that i will be taking my camera back to the LHS, and testing all of the others that they have, to try and see if it is possible to get a good one.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas support contacted me.. They are going to send me an RMA so they can inspect the camera.

RC poster
    My camera #3 shipped back to them today.

RC Competitor
    fun times ahead, for me, I guess. Good thing I have that 808 #16 coming in tomorrow, and my new landing gear and camera mount near completion.

RC poster
    Ok, took mine to LHS tonight to exchange the camera, but instead did some more testing with the guy at the store with some very interesting results...
    Put a new camera on with my SD card, and got the same purple lines and static...
    Then tried one of their SD cards with the new camera, and got the same results...
    Then tried their SD card with my camera, and got the same results...
    (Btw, watched some of their videos, on their SD card, shot with the Blade 350 QX3 AP combo, and the videos were beautiful!)
    I am starting to think that the problem is not with the camera, but maybe withe the Alias... Wondering if maybe something wrong with the board?
    Going to call Traxxas tomorrow and maybe send both the camera and the Alias to them to see what they come up with.

RC poster
    Sorry to say but is definitely the camera. I have three aliases and they all do the same thing

I have the camera with a 16gb samsung evo class 10 card and the video is not the best but no purple lines at all. I'll post the video after school, i have it on my iPad so i'll post it later.

The o-ring sounds like it would dampen the vibrations since it is a solid mount for the camera. I might have to try that.

RC Competitor
    Record the video till the end of the flight, and see if you have the issue. For myself, the issue doesn't show up until the battery gets low.

Here is the video, let me know what you think.

RC Competitor
    At what point of the battery was this shot? Try recording closer to the time that the battery will be near the end. Mine would look like that at the beginning, but after a few minutes, it started to get the lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast