RC Enthusiast

Revo 3.3 top speed

Well I'm new here and I join this site to learn as much as I can about these awesome bundle of joys lol.

I have a revo 3.3 stock and a jato 3.3 stock and I've been doing a lot of top speed runs with my garmin. So far I've had my jato at 55.2mph on odonnell 20% and my revo today as 40.5mph.

I'm looking into doing some mods with the 3.3 motors just don't know who to go with. Maybe someone can chime in with personal testing. Thanks for reading

RC Qualifier
    Well a lot of people run the Losi 3.3 carb that supposedly bolts right on except for a slight modification. This carb will give the engine better performance plus its easier to tune and it holds a tune much better than stock. You can also look into different pipes and i'm not too sure on high end performance pipes but I know there is some. Air filters are also an easy upgrade. You can get a 1/8 scale filter that will be less restrictive.

These are all the pretty simple mods for the engine and I would do these before going in to the engine and doing the complex stuff.

If you want to get higher speeds I would first look into some other stuff such as better tires and a bit steeper gearing. you could also lower the suspension a bit because the revo is not very aerodynamic
    Last edited by CBD55; 01-02-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Enthusiast
    As for air filter I have the big motor saver on it now. I'll search for pipes and the losi carb. Right now it setting low because I got tired off it flipping over so easy. As for tires I have the factory talons so I'll look into that. Almost forgot, I have the FOC and the wide gear ratio.
    Last edited by traxxx; 01-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Will the losi 3.3 carb fit on the 2.5 motor?
    slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Try lighter tires like 2.8s stretched on 3.2s and gear 34/18. I haven't seen anyone do that with a revo lately but I know it looks good with a emaxx. But yea, losi carb will definitely make it run better. I had the trinity pipe but never did get a chance to run it. Most say the THS pipe is the best for money. For absolute speed though. The best tire option would probably be a set of XO-1 tires but definitely lower it. Those will cut the wind better and be lighter if ya want just speed and don't care for the MT look.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
    Will the losi 3.3 carb fit on the 2.5 motor?
    Well, the 2.5 uses the same carb as the 3.3 so I think it would fit but I don't know how it will work. I've never heard of anyone wanting to put one on a 2.5. Just upgrade to a 3.3 using the power up program.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Enthusiast
    Alright guys I just put 15/36 gearing on my revo and went from 40.5 to 44.2. So right there is a big gain. Next is going to be smaller tires and a ths pipe and see what that'll do. It'll be awesome to hit 50mph before I go big block.

Quick question am I limited to a certain big block motors with the traxxas big block conversion? Ie like size. Looking at the lrp or lpr.30 motor?

RC Racer
    lrp .30! you will be doing some upgrades. I would put all metal gears in trans and keep spur gear plastic. I have the o.s .21tm and i have seen the inside of my trans more than i would like and that has 1.8hp and i think the lpr has 4hp. just my 2. will see what others say.

RC Qualifier
    Your current top speed... I feel you are being limited by the engines RPM and not by power as you saw an increase by changing the gearing. If there no discernible change in the engine note (sounding like it is bogging) you should be able to up the gearing (larger pinion) to get more speed. Decreasing the tire size will actually net you a slower top speed if this is the case but will get you to your top speed quicker.

Just for reference the electric REVO gets in the 90s using almost a 1 to 1 spur/pinion ratio (34/30)
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Champion
    A 17t clutch bell may get you there if the motor can pull the rpms, but the 3.3 may not be able to reach max rpms with that big of a clutch bell.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for the input, I was only looking to go that big of a motor because I don't do much bashing because I usually run a tank and put it back up. I just fly up and down the street or nearest parking lot.

So the motor didn't sound any different and still carried the same rpm (by ear) and still wanted to pull the wheels. I'll look around and see if any lhs has a 17-18tooth clutch bell or what do you guys think I should do next.. Also not sure if this matters but the 3.3 motor is brand new only 10 tanks in it counting the 5 break in tanks.

Shouldn't matter. The engine will seem to wake up more around half a gallon of use.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    So the motor will run faster after I run through more nitro?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxx View Post
    So the motor will run faster after I run through more nitro?
    If the engine is new, then yes you will see the performance improve after a few tanks. Biggest thing will be the right gearing and right tire/wheel setup. I have the 1/2" offset lpr dished rims on hotbodies truggy tires and it is a night and day difference in speed/acceleration over the stock rims and tires. The 3.3 can only put out so much power so gearing too tall will affect engine power. 17/36 might be right at that limit. A bigger engine will help but that comes at much higher cost and a lot less reliability.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I just ordered the 17 tooth clutch bell to see if it's just right. If I can just hit 50mph mark before I upgrade the engine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxx View Post
    Well I'm new here and I join this site to learn as much as I can about these awesome bundle of joys lol.

I have a revo 3.3 stock and a jato 3.3 stock and I've been doing a lot of top speed runs with my garmin. So far I've had my jato at 55.2mph on odonnell 20% and my revo today as 40.5mph.

I'm looking into doing some mods with the 3.3 motors just don't know who to go with. Maybe someone can chime in with personal testing. Thanks for reading
    After break-in my box-stock Revo 3.3 using Top Fuel 10% was 44mph with my phone strapped on the roof for GPS. I didn't try higher Nitro % until I switched my setup. I ran my Revo again today with an OS .21TM, THS 1046 exhaust, and Byron Gen2 2000 20% and it ran 42.2mph. Stock gearing and weather conditions. It does pull harder than stock but tops out sooner. The weird thing is it ran real well on 10% on stock motor.