RC poster

E-Maxx Rebuild/Upgrade Questions ( Newbie )

Hi all,
    I have finally found the time and money to start messing around with th E-Maxx I knew and loved as a kid.
    from what I can work out it is a 3906 model (short, black chassis).
    So far I have replaced the orange novak esc with the first evx-2 (no low voltage detect)
    The two titan 550 motors with a set that came with the esc, I presume they are a higher voltage as is the esc, the two standard servos with a 2056 for shifting and a 2075 for steering.
    I have managed to fix a reciver box in and have replareplaced the standard with a 2018 reciver and a 6507 transmitter.
    All this is run on two 8.4 v 5000 mah venom battery packs.

I'm hoping I have made it water resistant enough to stand the damp British climate please feel free to point out anything I have missed.
    My major issue at the moment is the transmitter /reciever, steering and throttle work, if in need of adjustment, the shifting however is dead as a dodo. From what I can suss it's channels 3-4 are completely inactive, I have plugged the relevant servo into both of these channels to no avail but the servo operates perfectly when plugged into the steering channel.
    as stated in the title I am a newbie within this hobby and I may well have missed something basic, let's just hope I learn as fast as I think I do.
    The next thing is the steering which struggles on a concrete floor when stationary and seems to improve the faster you go, I have bought a new bellcrank system with a servo saver built in as I guess whatever is there will be well worn by now, but I don't suppose the steering will be helped at all by the absence of any kind of bracing under the prop shafts and diffs, I only saw they were missing after a play earlier today.
    And finally I am very indecisive on suspension.
    what would people recommend, I am planning to use it mainly on flattish off road surfaces and on soft surface/uneven surface climbs. For now it's on the standard springs and dampers filled with whatever oil the lathes at work use.
    now I'm done boring everyone to tears, any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Hi Wizz96, The steering not being able to turn the tires when sitting still is very normal. The only way to overcome that is to get a more powerful metal gear servo or switch over to the dual steering servo mod similar to the new style Emaxx. You want something with over 200oz-in of torque the higher the better like Hitec's HS-7955TG 333oz-in. It sounds like you have a bad receiver with bad ports replace the receiver or pick up the new Traxxas 2.4ghz 3-channel setup. For suspension the stock arms should be fine for awhile but when the brake replace them with RPM's arm's and for shock's you should be find with getting the Big Bore or equivalent shocks. I have two E Maxx's running RPM arm's but different shock setup's a 3908 based truck with four 8th scale Ofna LX2 front Buggy shock's with Associated bronze spring's and a 3906 with four Unlimited Engineering's (also known as UE) SuperMaxx shocks.

RC poster
    Ok I will have a look about the dual steering mod, I forgot to mention on the initial post that the steering seems to track differently dependant on directon, for example I can adjust the trim so it tracks straight moving forwards but if you then reverse it tracks miles off.
    What would you say about springs, are there any in particular to look for?
    I did wonder if that might be the case wih the radio system, will have to count the coppers.
    as it goes , I just got back in After a few runs in the mud
    learnt three things,
    1. It seems about as waterproof as it can be (well its not on fire yet)
    2. When it gets bogged down in the mud stand more than 6 feet away before you give it the beans
    3. I think I need to start looking for diffs, a few mins in and a nasty clicking noise appeared seemingly from the drive train will rip it apart tomorrow and have a looksee.

Hopefully, if I can fathom how I'll put a few pics up

Thanks for the pointers BuiltFordtuff,
    Will have to keep my eyes open.

RC poster
    Here she is, a little dirty and damp after meeting the mud properly.

Last edited by Wizz96; 01-07-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Hi again Wizz96 you picture's aren't appearing. For springs you can look for RC Raven dual rate (8) spring set for $9+shipping or either Integy's progressive springs for $35+shipping. The integy's progressive spring set is expensive but you get a total of 40 springs (8) springs in each set which are color coded in five different stiffness. Thats is what I had for mine before I went with the UE Supermaxx shocks it was great and well worth it for the amount of tuning the Integy spring set gave me. Also for diffs if you need them and don't want to spend afortune just yet on aluminum and or the 8th scale diff mod (like FLM Hybrid bulks or Losi LST diff mod) look for the new style Emaxx diff's from the 3905/03/08 trucks as they are the strongest stock diff's out because they have a small steel Ibeam bar inside of them I repeat they have to be EMAXX Diff's. The Tmaxx diff's don't have this bar I learned that the hard way.

RC poster

Sweet, here's your pictures.

You need a camber gauge Click here.
    Your wheels on backwards. Just swap left side with right side
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC poster
    Ah good man, what'd I do wrong?
    Wheels the wrong way, now that is typical of me.
    I will get a camber gauge but I don't suppose anything is helped by the lack of support under the frame, I will stick some links up as I can't seem to suss photo uploading.
    as it turns out my diffs may have survived, I found a gear trying to escape the motor shaft and chew it's way through the gear housing

RC poster
    One re-machined casing courtesy of a loose grub screw http://s1299.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/aw...2qfmd.jpg.html

One slightly cleaner, slightly dryer emaxx
    http://s1299.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/aw...okn50.jpg.html

And finally, what I mean when I say no support under the frame, will have to make some bits at work.
    http://s1299.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/aw...yr2fm.jpg.html

Hi Wizz96 , definitely get some support under those bulk heads that should help a bit. Pick yourself up the RPM Monster Camber Gauge #70950 it's good for all vehicles. I have one and love it I use it for my 1/10 onroads, Slash's 2wd/4x4, Stampedes/Rustler/Bandit, and my Emaxx's. The Savage body looks pretty sick on that truck to.

Yea you def need some support under there. You can buy some skid plates or make some. RPM 80115 for the three piece, but you'll need the stock front and rears.
    My casing lol
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC poster
    Im back online!
    Trax de max, dosent the housing get full of crud like that?
    I have fitted a skid plate at work, and I have upraded to the brushless bellcranks, now it actually corners rather than wandering every which way.
    And now onto the bad news, took it for a spin today, admittedly it did get quite a soaking but with the upgrades I would have thought it could handle a bit of the wet stuff. Anyway it started smoking quite a lot so I thought it beat to bring it back in and disconnect the batteries (a lesson I learnt after my dad dropped a stock 3096 in the pond)
    after inspection one of the brushes is rattling around in the bottom of the motor, not actually attached to anything. Bugger
    These motors are a set that came with the esc , a evx-2 16.8 v I still have the stock motors, but they ran at 14.4 v are they going to be of any use? I should note all of the motors are titan 550s I'm just not sure if they are 2 different versions.
    also for when I run out of spare motors what would be recommended for really getting out in the mud and water and grit, preferably serviceable, I'm pretty sure that's what's knackered this one

RC Racer
    My personal opinion is for you to get the dewalt 820 kit from kershaw designs. Just a single is all you need and you can change the brushes when they burn up. The motors run alot cooler so you can run them with way higher gearing. I am running 65 and 23 in MAXXIMUS and she really hauls. Dewalt makes a really good motor. If you want to stay brushed, it's the only way to go. Happy bashing.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-05-2015 at 10:16 AM.