RC poster

Alias camera...cant start recording...

All,

Was hoping for help. I have tried to use my camera for the first time in 10 days and 2nd time ever. When i put in sd card i flew the Alias and hit the Aux 2 button however the recording never started. I confirmed this by looking at blue light to see if it started blinking and also checking sd card. I also tried using aux 1 and no pictures were taken. I have tried following troubleshooting and am now in need of help.

Steps I have tried.
    Recharged battery to ensure it was full charge
    Tried multiple sd cards that work in my tablets and phone
    Tried different sizes of sd card (2gb, 2 x 64gb)
    Reformatted one of the sd cards
    Reset controller and resynced alias to make sure it wasnt a setup or sync issue
    Tried different flight modes (normal, fast)

Any ideas? The camera is the one made for the alias. When i first installed it a couple weeks ago I only had the chance to play with it for one charge. It seemedd to record (albeit choppy but prob was sd card quality) Help!help,

RC Competitor
    Try this.. put the memory card in. Turn on the alias. Make sure the blue light comes on solid. Turn on the transmitter, but don't arm the alias. Hit the aux 2 button and see if it starts blinking. Also make sure you see the camera icon on the transmitter display.

I have had cases where I have had to the hit the aux2 button a couple times to start the record.

RC poster
    Thanks sabshire,

I tried to start the camera as you suggested but still could not get camera to record or take a picture. Additionally I have tried the following:

hold aux 2 button for different periods of time (quick click, 1sec, 2 secs, hold for up to 10 secs)
    repeated for aux 1 picture

still no video or pictures. Camera icon appears on the remote and it blinks when I push aux 1 or aux 2 but the blue camera light remains steady and I check the sd card to confirm no images.

I think my next move is to completely remove the camera, check connections, reinstall and see if maybe that helps. Any additional thoughts greatly appreciated.

RC Competitor
    The only thing I can think of, other than the camera being defective is the micro-sd card. What kind is it? (brand/class/etc)?

RC poster
    Hi all,

My name's Fabrice, I'm a new user of Latrax Alias, I'm please to join the Traxxas community!
    Please excuse my poor English, I'm French with a slightly poor level of English...:-(

So, I have the same issue with the Latrax Camera TRA6660 : blue light comes on solid, I can see the "photo" logo on Transmitter, but pushing Aux1 or Aux2 buttons remain uneffective...? I use the same SD card as in my GoPro, a Samsung 32Go, Class10, FAT32 formatted, but the card seems to be not recognized by the camera?

Any ideas to help me?

Maybe try another brand SD card? I'm using a SanDisk for what it's worth.

RC poster
    Thanks k1m for your response, unfortunately, I've tried 4 different SD Card (brand, capacity, class), and the problem is still present... I'm afraid my camera is defective!
    Does anyone knows the pinout of the Camera connector? I would like to do some test in order to investigate if the problem comes from the camera or from the Alias main board (or transmitter?)

Give Traxxas a call, maybe they'll give you that pinout, I'd like to know it as well.

RC poster
    After emails exchange with the Traxxas support, here is the last response : "Unfortunately our engineering department does not provide electronic schematics."
    They propose me the Latrax Lifetime Electronics Warranty, but for me, it's not a good option (shipping from France to US, Warranty charge $15 and shipping back $5), it will cost me more than a new one.

So I'm going to test a RunCam HD, using the Latrax Battery instead of the embedded one, to lighten the RunCam...

RC Qualifier
    is there any chance you can return the camera to the vendor you bought it from and maybe get an exchange? I originally had this issue when I used one and it took some experimenting to figure out the "right press" length to get it going. mine ended up being a very quick press and release. basically, a split second press and release is what I had to do with mine and it worked fine after that. I am sure you have tried that as well, but just thought I would toss it out there just in case .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    Thanks spoonerrw, unfortunately, I can't return the camera because the warranty period is over...
    I have tried different "press", but never very quick one, so I will do the experiment this evening !
    Strangely, when I press the A1 button, I can see a very light "blinking" on the blue LED, but the SD card remain blank... When I press the A2 button, nothing happens...Yesterday I've controled the power supply present on the Red and black wires (directly to the connector of the Alias main board (pins on both ends of the main board connector), with a correct 3.7 voltage.

I'd be interested in what you come up with speedy, I'm thinking about adapting my camera to mount it in my R/C car.

RC poster
    I realize this thread is old, but it was probably the closest thing I came to for resolving my issue. Maybe my solution can help someone else before they drive back to the hobby store or try to return something that might not be broken.

I had the same problem the OP was having. I think it was a formatting issue with the card I was using (SanDisk Ultra PLUS 64 GB). The card came with an SD adapter that I could use to open the card on my Mac with my existing card reader. I used Disk Utility to format the card with the following settings:

Format: MS-DOS (FAT)
    Scheme: Master Boot Record

...and then clicked "Erase". That did the trick. Video and stills work exactly as they should. I can see the blue light underneath the camera unit blink when stills and video are being taken.

This is a present for my son (and me!), so I'm glad I took the time up front to test things out first. Otherwise, I'd be pulling my hair out on Xmas morning.

RC poster
    I think the instructions that come with the camera are inadequate. There should be specific notes about formatting the card properly.

Thanks for your input. I agree about the instructions and it would be nice to have the time stamp/date on each video too.

RC poster

Cool To spacewell and anyone else!!!

Sup dude, I went ahead and called tech support. They told me the problem was with the sd card. I was using a 16gb, class 4 micro sd. The guy said I needed a 64 gb class 10. For those like me who didn't know, you can see what class the micro sd by looking for a "C" on it with a number inside of it. Hope that helps I just ordered mine, sorry for those who already ordered theirs. Good luck and happy flying!!!

RC poster
    Ok, I am also having difficulty getting the Alias to take pictures and/or video. I also have a blue solid light on the camera when the Alias is turned on. When I hit the A1 or the A2 buttons on the controller the camera icon will blink, but no pictures or videos are taken. I've confirmed that my Micro SD card (SanDisk Ultra SDXS UHS-I) is a class 10 card. See link to card details here: https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-.../ultra-microsd

When taking the camera off the Alias I noticed that the connection point wires come loose from the camera before the connection is disconnected. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or maybe a camera issue?

Thanks, Todd