RC poster

Beginner car for little boy

Hello there

Due to this is my First Post in that traxxas community I like to give a short introduction of myself followed by the topic I definitely need your support and advice. I am no native speaker - so please apologize some language mistakes.

I am a nearly 50 year old kid - and thank god I have a 3 1/2 year old son to survive the ladies part of my family (my wife, mydaughters: eleven years and 16 month) with the help of "father-son" toys.

One x-mas present was a NIKKO Vaporizr which went back to its origin once played for 15 min. in the snowy garden.
    Antenna broken, battery empty, quick-charge was a joke.

Now I found - after some research - the LaTrax Teton as a possible replacement. But I am very unsure if this is the right choice. Why? I had spoken to several dealers by phone - and have plenty of arguments.

Due to I am an absolute beginner in RC cars I am just arrived at a point at which I can't differentiate any further.

So, what is the requirement?
    (1) easy to drive
    (2) robust (remember: he is 3 1/2)
    (3) long lasting drive (30 min. at least)
    (4) should match: snow, garden, grass
    (5) repair options

Recommendations from dealers are either Teton or a strong voting for 1/16 revo or summit 1/16.

If one of these is a better option over a Teton - I am glad to spend the extra-money. Especially if I read all the Teton problems with overheated engines and broken parts I am more than happy to buy only one time instead of founding my own repair cents. (And performing all the discussed upgrades costs time and money as well)

So - please support me finding the right car out of all this new and beautiful options ;-)

Thank you
    very very much

carrerabahn

RC poster
    Ciao Cyrano

Thanks for your quick reply.

In terms of the summit 1/16 - is it correct that 2 versions (vxl -> brushless vs. "older version RTR") exist?
    If yes - which would you recommend for my purpose?

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards
    Carrerabahn

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    My personal vote would be one of the traxxas 1/10 2wd brushed models. Either the bandit, the rustler, the slash, or the stampede. My personal order would be the slash, stampede, rustler, bandit, in that orde. They are really not much more expensive. They are of a very simple design, so they are easy to learn and repair. They are tough! They are so much easier to work on than the smaller 1/16 platforms, since they have smaller parts, and more intricate designs. Did I mention the 1/10 2wd vehicles are TOUGH?

I believe a 2wd slash or stampede would be perfect for you both. Simple to work on, decent all terrain capabilities, tough, and room to grow and get faster as you progress in the hobby.

Or, if you don't mind spending a little more money, a 4wd brushed stampede. With a nimh battery in training mode, it would not be too much for him. It is also a pretty simple and easy to work on design, and it is also pretty tough. Plus, I think for a little boy the 4wd capabilities would make it much more fun.

At any rate, I would agree that the 1/16 line would be better than the teton. They still have their weak links, though, and can be a pain to work on. Again, all just my opinion .
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 01-12-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    losi 1 24 trail tracker for a 3 year old boy.

RC poster
    Thank you so much for your replies.

As an outcome of your advices I know now that the Community is
    (1) First of all very kind and helpful
    (2) the opposite to most of the dealers (2 votes Teton, 1 vote summit 1/16 vxl)

I like the idea of a robust model - if it is more appropriate to go for the 1/10 models I have a look at it.
    I assume there are also differences?

The stampede I give a closer look now - what is the opinion of the Telluride?

Thanks again for your decent support.

Regards
    Carrerabahn

RC poster
    My son wanted a Vaporizr for Christmas and got a SST. In my opinion, a 1:10 is too much. We're not only talking about speed. A 1:10 weighs something like 2,5 kg and can do quite some damage on impact.

My son is 8. And I switched the SST to training mode (50%) for him. We tried 100% once, but he wanted me to switch back to 50, as the car was quite hard to control for him and he didn't like it.

I think something in the size of the Teton would be more than enough for your son. Unfortunately you need to plan some upgrades soon. We broke the first shock on the second day (in 50% mode). And if you read through the forums here, you'll find out the Diffs will genet on the list.

Hope this helps!

RC poster
    Holly - thanks for that aspect of weight and control.

So it comes down to either the Teton (with upgrades) or to a 1/16 model.
    I checked the 4x4 slash with brushed engine (recommendation from cyrano). This makes a robust impression with the TITAN engine and gives many options for the future. But from the looks I would prefer the e-revo brushed (but no chance in grass driving I assume).
    The summit actual goes as VXL version, which is a killer from the speed perspective.
    And I like the looks of the Teton.

To be honest, I do not know what to do - and my feeling tells me to go for the Teton and buy some parts from the beginning.
    Has anybody a more or less comprehensive list what spareparts to order?

thanks again for your support.
    carrerabahn

RC Qualifier
    Don't go with the Teton. It's not durable enough and will be a money pit.

If you are dead set on a smaller vehicle, the 1/16 Slash, Revo, Summit platform is pretty tough and can be fun.

My personal recommendation would be the 1/10th scale Slash 2wd or Stampede 2wd. They are simple platforms. Very widely supported with spare parts and upgrades (both from Traxxas or aftermarket). The Slash would be preferred for dirt or street. The Stampede for dirt and grass use.

As far as those complaining about a 1/10th scale being too much for a child...utter hogwash. My son was 4 when he got his first truck, a 2wd Stampede. I took steps to make it safe, enjoyable, and manageable for a child by SLOWING IT DOWN. Yep, easy to do. Instead of running a 2S LiPO, or and 8.4 volt NiMH pack, put a 6 cell 7.2 volt NiMH pack in it. Then change the pinion from stock to 13 or 14 to slow the truck down some more. Last, set the ESC to Traxxas' learning mode which is 50% throttle. Do all three of those changes and you will have Stampede running at 30% of stock out of the box speeds! And it makes it super easy to get the hang of driving...

RC Racer
    I have the teton and the 1/16 brushed summit and a 1/10. Slash . The summit is a tank. My 3 year old daughter and 6 year old daughter drive it without issue. Run the stock 6 cell battery with another in parallel and you can drive it for longer than a 3 year olds attention will last. On 50% mode the speed is pretty tame. It's been run full out into curbs and car tires and doesn't show signs of any damage. They can pick it up and carry it around without any problems either. The controller is a little large for them but there isn't much difference between that and anything else out there. Speed shouldnt be an issue with anything if you gear it low and use nimh batteries. 1/16th summit slash and erevo share most of their parts, so it's really a matter of opinion. The summit was my pick because it didn't struggle in the dirt/grass and it had an exo cage around the body that helped with its durability. I have heard a lot of people say the 1/16 slash is quite difficult to drive when the speed increases so that's why I didn't go that direction. . Just my 2 cents tho.

RC Competitor
    Hello there from my experience with the teton it's not as fragile as everyone says it is. I bought one for my boys whom are 3 1/2 and 5 years old the drive it in training mode and have beaten the heck out of it and have only cracked the front bumper and that's driving at 0 degrees here in Wisconsin. It took a head on hit to a concrete median to break it. I drive it fast and hard also and have had no issues with any thing yet thought for sure I had broken it a few times but it's all good and I talking about some serious cartwheels. But I will say it is limited to very short mild terrain due to its size, asphalt, very short grass, flat gravel and mulch is about all it can take. I read that sand will just destroy the small motor and it can't handle snow at all (like 1 inch max) or it gets stuck or just plows it in front until it can't move. It super fun to drift it in light snow though. For me it's been great and my boy really love their little teton.
    I haven't put thicker fluid in the diffs yet but I think it would help this little truck perform better in different terrain.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with other posters suggesting a 1/10 scale as a first RC. The smaller scale vehicles seem to have a lot of issues with durability and a standard 2wd 1/10 scale is generally a good starting point for a first RC. The smaller scale Traxxas cars are more difficult to work on and the aftermarket support isn't as vast as it is with Traxxas 1/10 scales. I would look into the smaller scale vehicles at a later point and start out with a platform that's tried and true for beginners (e.g. Rustler, Slash, Bandit, Stampede). Just my opinion though.

RC poster
    very very much thank you again for keeping this discussion alive.

After carefully reading the spareparts list Cyrano has provided (THX) and the experience from puddmaxx related to differrent terrains, the Teton looks not able drive it anywhere I need it to drive. (grass is very much the most used terrain)
    I don't need climbing facilities, but to take turns on grass easily and controlled is a strong requirement

I actually have a strong tendency for the summit 1/16. The stampede 1/10 is on number 2.
    I do some research into those and will return

Best Regards and many thanks
    carrerabahn

I personal vote for a stamped 2ed. It will last the long run, more over as he grows, he will really apprciate the true hoobygrade RC models and will one day tweak into it.

There is the phase when every kid just leaves it for a while, but then there is also the everlasting experienec where he will rekindle the expereince he had.

The 2wd pede 1/10 is practically arround the same price as of the 1/16.....as one of the members here mentioned, advantage he will expreience right away a 1/10 scale feel, very different from any other size....samleer ones.
    Live life to the fullest

RC poster
    okay - I narrowed it... finally ;-)

It will be a stampede. Due to robustness and goodie's input to decrease speed I think this is the best choice.

Now I have two more questions.
    (1) is the 2WD sufficient on grass (not high) and curbs? what about snow?

(2) is the 2014 model (without ID battery and unrenewed charger) sufficient? or should I definitely go with the 2015 models with ID (the reason is 2014 models are available / 2015 I did not find actually)

Thank you very much again
    carrerabahn

Quote Originally Posted by carrerabahn View Post
    okay - I narrowed it... finally ;-)

It will be a stampede. Due to robustness and goodie's input to decrease speed I think this is the best choice.

Now I have two more questions.
    (1) is the 2WD sufficient on grass (not high) and curbs? what about snow?
    The pede is just awsome on dirt, grass and pavement...including curbs if you hit it on the right spot, other wise you might be in for a caster block replacement.

2wd is challenging to drive andfun, taking corners etc, acceleration and so fort, on snow I had found more challenging to drive then a 4X4 but never the less lots of fun, you may want to put sand paws at the rear if you want to fly on the snow.
    By the way ,, I have 2 x 2wd pedes for my kids who are 12 and 13 respectively and enjoys it a lot at th track, when they are used to it, you will be surprised, they can out run people on 4x4 at the track ....it all comes down to the driver.
    Last edited by Jezza; 01-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    The stampede is a great choice no matter which way you go (2wd or 4x4) if money is not really an issue for you I would go with the 4x4 especially if you want to bash in deeper snow or in mud. The 2wd can still handle a lot but 4x4 will give you better performance if you want to play in the more extreme conditions. Either way you go you'll learn to drive it for what it is and learn it's limitations. Both versions are an awesome truck I just prefer the 4x4. Since I don't think you are going with the brushless VXL system buying the current model over the last model don't really matter. The ID system only applies to a few of traxxas chargers, It will automatically chose the charge rate for you so you dont have to think about it. if you buy a non traxxas charger later on the ID doesn't really matter anyways
    Last edited by puddmaxx; 01-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    You should jump on over to the stampede forums those guys really no their tucks and can help you decide on the one you really need, and any important upgrades you'll want to get

RC Qualifier
    No need to drop a bunch of $$ on it straight away.

Just make the pinion and battery change and set it to 50% and it is good to go.

The 2wd pede can go up a curb with just a little finesse. The grass is a non issue for it because of the bigger tires and ride height. It can be a bit of a wheely monster when you start turning the speed up!

As you bump up the speed, you may want to consider the following upgrades:
    Aluminum shock caps
    Ti-ni hardened shock shafts
    Aluminum front c blocks
    Captured hinge pins (lots of options out there)
    Wheely bar

RC Racer
    Good choice! If it gets you outside and bonding with your kids, you can't go wrong. One step closer to getting the remote controls away from in front of the TV and outside in the sun. Lol

RC poster
    Thank you all for your very intense support. :-)

I will place my remaining open questions in the stampede area which are:
    (1) how do I change the pinion?
    (2) is there a difference for the pinion change between 2wd and 4wd?
    (3) is the ground clearance of the 2wd higher then that of the 4wd?
    (4) besides the number of driven wheels - are there any other different key-features?

See there ;-)
    Carrerabahn