Thread: Vxl break in??

RC Competitor

Vxl break in??

Hello all,
    I'm getting a vxl 4x4 with my taxes this year it will be my first brushless truck. Is there any special breakin procedure I need to worry about? Thanx

Here's my list so far
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Onyx 245 dual charger
    Alum. Shock caps
    +20% progressive springs
    TBR wide front bumper
    Zipper shroud
    Trenchers and a set of hard on road tires (so I can slide this beast around)maybe the stock tires will work for this with some taping and harder foams??

Am going to drop the body lower right away and eventually get a body and wing to convert back and forth to a truggy

RC Qualifier
    Just go easy on your first pack. Then nail it. If you're going to lower the body, spend $10 on a temp gun (harbor freight sell them for $10) cos the lower body / trenchers / shroud will all affect your temps.

RC Competitor
    Break in consists of actually breaking the stock cvds and ungluing stock tires from rims and melting the bearing adapter.

Only real thing is to break in slipper clutch.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the quick replys. I have a temp gun already Wil most likely be changing gearing to keep temps down maybe a fan. The shround will be for snow use cuz I fried many brushed motors while they were in cased in ice/snow during long snow bashes.
    Would like to no how the stock tires grip on asphalt do they hold well or will they slide?

RC Competitor
    Depending on grip you will either slide or flip over.

In dirt and sandy asphault you will slide

I would add the traxxas aluminium bearing adaptor to your list and your good to go and just replace what you break dude.plus welcome to the forum and addiction my friend...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for that man, when I was writing that list I new there was something missing but could not remember. It was the adapter, if not for your post I would have completely forgotten about it

No worries man it's a cheap but awesome mod that can save down time...peace

RC Enthusiast
    Hate to be a noob here but I am.. I'm also getting a pede vxl 4x4 no big upgrades yet just a lipo, but what is a temp gun and the purpose of it ? Ty sry bout noobie Q's. Spent weeks doin research and this is the first I've heard of it... ty
    Last edited by Ktm300; 01-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.

RC Champion
    The temp gun is so you can make sure your motor and esc don't get too hot. You NEVER want either to get above 200F. It not necessary if you keep it stock, but as soon as you chang anything like gearing, or like mentioned above, lower the body (which reduces cooling airflow to the ESC), you need to get one.

As for break in, there is nothing to "break in" on a brushless motor. Tear open the box and let-er-rip.
    Last edited by dacaur; 01-17-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Dacaur

The infrared temperature gun measures the temps of your esc and motor.because if you go over 160-170 you can permanently damage the magnets inside and 140-150 on the esc which could damage the internals but apart from that let her rip tater chip...peace

RC Competitor
    Hey just an updated (it's been a while) so I didn't get my pede didn't have enough cash flow I wasnt going to settle for the xl-5 or 2wd. I did still get a rc though got a hpi savage xs. It's an insane little truck pretty durable the front was loose and the stock servo sucks but other than that I like it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I would add the traxxas aluminium bearing adaptor to your list and your good to go and just replace what you break dude.plus welcome to the forum and addiction my friend...peace
    Thanks for that suggestion (bearing adapter). My Stampede 4x4 VXL should arrive Monday - I ordered the traxxas aluminium bearing adaptor and some RPM a-arms (just in case) and I already have a new set of Proline Badlands and four new 2S batteries. Woo hoo!